Oil leak still?!

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Oil leak still?!

Postby Aphex » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Droldaerd wrote:
No. 47 wrote:Suggest remove cover and, using parts fiche, check that all crankcase dowels are in place, that all copper washers are where they should be and that all bolt lengths are correct for position - check gasket seal faces of crankcase and cover (could be that PO levered off cover and damaged faces) and replace gasket and use (sparingly) good liquid gasket to both sealing faces as well.

Is there suppose to be a copper washer for every bolt? Only see 2 on fiche

Nah there should only be two iirc and they're both on the left hand side of the cover (closer to the front of the bike).
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Aphex wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:
No. 47 wrote:Suggest remove cover and, using parts fiche, check that all crankcase dowels are in place, that all copper washers are where they should be and that all bolt lengths are correct for position - check gasket seal faces of crankcase and cover (could be that PO levered off cover and damaged faces) and replace gasket and use (sparingly) good liquid gasket to both sealing faces as well.

Is there suppose to be a copper washer for every bolt? Only see 2 on fiche

Nah there should only be two iirc and they're both on the left hand side of the cover (closer to the front of the bike).

Thanks. Parts ordered. Gonna redo the gasket with glue on a new one this time. Even bought another cam chain tensioner since it appears I can reach the front without removing the oil tank. My cu rings were good but I bought 5 since I see theyre used elsewhere and don't want to pay shipping for $1 parts if I need them later.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 am

I think i have oil leaking from the clutch slave. I can see it bubbling behind the seal. Anyone able to help me with all gaksets I should replace right there

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 am

Have a look at the parts fiche - if it's engine oil leaking, there's a clutch pushrod seal that'll need replacing - this seal is one of the 'weakest' crankcase seals and, commonly, leaks here indicate a pressurised crankcase, particularly if, as you say, it's 'bubbling' out, ie a blocked or failed crankcase breather set up.

if it's clutch oil leaking, time to replace/rebuild clutch slave
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am

No. 47 wrote:Have a look at the parts fiche - if it's engine oil leaking, there's a clutch pushrod seal that'll need replacing - this seal is one of the 'weakest' crankcase seals and, commonly, leaks here indicate a pressurised crankcase, particularly if, as you say, it's 'bubbling' out, ie a blocked or failed crankcase breather set up.

Just replaced the balancer shaft seal a couple months ago. Crankcase breather is no longer spitting up oil in the intake. Ill get the pushrod seal ordered tonight. Clutch is good. I actually just replaced with an orange Oberon slave. Very very pretty and holding fluid 100%.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Droldaerd wrote:
No. 47 wrote:Have a look at the parts fiche - if it's engine oil leaking, there's a clutch pushrod seal that'll need replacing - this seal is one of the 'weakest' crankcase seals and, commonly, leaks here indicate a pressurised crankcase, particularly if, as you say, it's 'bubbling' out, ie a blocked or failed crankcase breather set up.

Just replaced the balancer shaft seal a couple months ago. Crankcase breather is no longer spitting up oil in the intake. Ill get the pushrod seal ordered tonight. Clutch is good. I actually just replaced with an orange Oberon slave. Very very pretty and holding fluid 100%.

Yes but if the check valve was installed incorrectly then it wont allow oil into the airbox and you'll just pressurize the crankcase. Would be worth it to check that valve with the little white ball and spring in it.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Aphex wrote:
Droldaerd wrote:

Yes but if the check valve was installed incorrectly then it wont allow oil into the airbox and you'll just pressurize the crankcase. Would be worth it to check that valve with the little white ball and spring in it.

Yup. Checked that. And triple checked it. Valve was good. Spring was still springy. Cleaned it out and made sure I could blow into the air box still through the valve.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Suggest checking for 'pulse' at airbox end of breather with engine running.
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm

No. 47 wrote:Suggest checking for 'pulse' at airbox end of breather with engine running.

Fer sure. Ordered pushrod seal and gear position sensor o ring since it seemed grumpy around that area. Parts won't be here till next week though. Blah. After I install them, I'll run that diagnostics next. If it doesn't pulse, new check valve in order? If it does, any other possible culprits?

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:02 pm

No. 47 wrote:Suggest checking for 'pulse' at airbox end of breather with engine running.

Do you know if the valve should be complety closed or a little bit open when the engine is running?

I've got a itg airbox and the valve is instaled on the plate so the 2 parts of the valve has 2 or 3 mms of distance.

For this reason the inner spring can't close completly the valve.

I try what you are suggesting last week and when I start the engine the valve blows a litle bit and leaks oil at the generator cover.

I stretch the spring a little bit and now is completly closed and no oil leak (and I try to blow the valve with my mouth, if i blow strongly the valve opens)

Thanks.
Ride it like you stole it!!!

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Droldaerd wrote:

Fer sure. Ordered pushrod seal and gear position sensor o ring since it seemed grumpy around that area. Parts won't be here till next week though. Blah. After I install them, I'll run that diagnostics next. If it doesn't pulse, new check valve in order? If it does, any other possible culprits?

Given your blow test and that you've checked valve is OK and right way round, was thinking there may be some form of blockage internally, however unlikely - 'pulse' check should be first step, though.
'01 Ducati 996S

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Edorta wrote:

Do you know if the valve should be complety closed or a little bit open when the engine is running?

I've got a itg airbox and the valve is instaled on the plate so the 2 parts of the valve has 2 or 3 mms of distance.

For this reason the inner spring can't close completly the valve.

I try what you are suggesting last week and when I start the engine the valve blows a litle bit and leaks oil at the generator cover.

I stretch the spring a little bit and now is completly closed and no oil leak (and I try to blow the valve with my mouth, if i blow strongly the valve opens)

Thanks.

Open - think ball and spring is there only to stop condensation (and possible crud) running back down into crankcase
'01 Ducati 996S

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Gasket with glue = happy Duker!

Well all my major oil leaks seem to be fixed! I had originally replaced my oil shaft seal to stop the waterfall of oil from my air box but that required removing the ignition cover. In my experience, a new OEM gasket would be all that was necessary and I would just clean up all the sealers and gasket material and the new one would be fine but this wasnt the case. I havent worked with these metal gaskets before. Now with the gasket glue, everything seems great. Thanks so much everyone! I still have a bit of work to do to get this once neglected SD990 together but I'm loving every minute of the ride. 10k miles deep and not a single regret on this purchase. Actually just sold my other main bike a couple weeks back, 1996 vfr750, with confidence this one wasn't gonna let me down. I noticed some grime and wetness around the oil tank tubes on the right side of the bike. I think servicing the oil tank and system is the next major repair for this bike.

Previous

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom