2007 990 speedo/dash

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
TimR
Two wheeled terror

2007 990 speedo/dash

Postby TimR » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:12 am

Morning all. My speedo has finally packed up. The display started to get erratic and only the backlight works. The needle doesn't sweep and none of the lights or figures appear.
I took it apart and dried it out overnight on the radiator overnight - no joy.
So am looking for a new one.
Trevor Pope Motorcycles and Red Line both have it listed for £294. Does know if its available cheaper anywhere else?
Cheers

NolaNomad
Two wheeled terror

Re: 2007 990 speedo/dash

Postby NolaNomad » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 am

Bro.
Same here a few years back. Happened twice. Got them both installed free from my local.
Covered by KTM.. $0.

It's a known issue.
"satisfaction is the death of desire"

TimR
Two wheeled terror

Postby TimR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:55 pm

I think I'd have an uphill battle getting KTM to replace a part under warranty on a 10 year old bike!

I decided I had nothing to lose so took the speedo completely apart, pulling the lcd display off the circuit board. I think the problem is the row of little connector pins, where they connect through the circuit board - I think its when moisture gets in here and causes corrosion and a poor connection.
Its really fiddly putting it back together as its easy to bend the pins and they won't slot back in - it takes a bit of patience - its been documented on the site previously. I put it back together and made sure the pins were firmly pushed in. I connected it up to the bike and its working again. Have reassembled the housing and hopefully when I put it back on the bike, it'll still be working - £300 saved 8) .... for now :?

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 pm

I did the same to a 690 smc I had a while ago and it was good for a long time and was still fine when I sold it.

Did you put dielectric grease on the pins and silicone some of the pieces together? Apparently it's the parts vibrating against each other that can cause the problems.

Silverbear
Two wheeled terror

Postby Silverbear » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:50 am

Motogoon wrote:I did the same to a 690 smc I had a while ago and it was good for a long time and was still fine when I sold it.

Did you put dielectric grease on the pins and silicone some of the pieces together? Apparently it's the parts vibrating against each other that can cause the problems.

Spot on motogoon.And if the pins brake,just get hold of some solid .7 copper wire(found in standard house power wire) and solder it in place.My speedo was such a mess,I dremeled all the pins off and shaped a nice little arc for the copper wire to sit in and then soldered them all in place.A bit of silicon to stick down the LCD board with dielectric
grease on the end of the pins where they enter the plugs as motogoon has suggested.Have had no problems for over a year since.KIWI enginuity(brought about by lack of money).Cheers.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom