Fitting larger fuel tank.

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm a bit confused here.

I've read the how to on fitting the larger tank to my 05, based on that seeming fairly simple I've just bought a bigger one from ebay. (I get 100 miles to fuel light, 130 miles I'm walking, and yes that's from experience)

Because of the photobucket debacle there is no pics and what I got from the txt was that with some small modifications you can re-use the big side spoilers from the 05 and possibly even the smaller black inner ones. However I've just read some other posts saying there's no way they'll fit.

Have I read it wrong? (Having no pics has pretty much killed the how to section on this forum)

Be good to know because those radiator shrouds are bloody £200 each! I haven't paid for the tank yet so can still cancel it, I'm not spending $800 nzd on 2 peices of plastic!

Cheers

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Re: Fitting larger fuel tank.

Postby Motogoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 pm

This was the advice in one of the posts

"Just adding to an old thread as i found something out today, the 05/06 tank spoilers do fir the 07 larger tank, it just takes a simple mod and they are a perfect fit, on both spoiler where the inside plastics screw to the spoiler simply cut the furthest nibs off and snad flat and perfect fit"

Can anyone confirm they've done this?

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Right think I've answered myself here, 2 hours pouring over posts here and there's at least 3 guys saying they've put the 05 side fairing panels on the new tank (2 pics of said bikes as well) by removing one screw tab on the underside of the fairing panel, and comparing pics of the undersides of newer ones with mine with that does look like the case.

So I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it then order the cheap inner panels, was going to get the 90 degree fuel hose as well but since the 2010 write up that's gone from something like 13 pounds to 55 pounds! So can hopefully match up the size locally.

Also any reason why I couldn't just use standard hose clamps instead of those oem KTM ones?

Droldaerd
Minimoto racer

Postby Droldaerd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 am

Motogoon wrote:Also any reason why I couldn't just use standard hose clamps instead of those oem KTM ones?

I dont like the clamps at all. Either I suck with them or you just can't reuse them. I have a kit of various sizes screw on clamps. Put them on every time inhave to give a hose and havent looked back

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Motogoon wrote:Also any reason why I couldn't just use standard hose clamps instead of those oem KTM ones?

Ear clamps are supposed to apply pressure very evenly. They are a one use clamp, unlike worm screw clamps.
Oetiker (the brand most OEM uses) is easily acquired in Amazon.
I recently purchased the clamping tool for $25 or so. You can buy clamp kits that vary between $10 and $100’s depending on quantities and sizes.
It makes me feel warm n fuzzy inside using what the OEM suggests in this case.

EDIT: I wrote the above answer this morning before I went to a Ducati demo day. I was looking at several Ducatis in the showroom and they do use worm clamps for their cooling system hoses.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:55 am

So put the 07 tank on (also removed aftermarket belly pan which I wasn't a fan of)

Bought a used 07 fuel pump as well so I didn't have to shag around moving the wiring, little did I know I now have to shag around getting new plugs to adapt the 07 low fuel sensor to the 05 wiring, grrrr!! (Have since read about swapping the sensor from the 05 pump but had already fitted the new one and didn't want to risk munting the smaller o-ring)

Yes 05 shrouds will fit with a small mod, that's them on there, have plasti-dipped them Matt black, undecided on stock grey or gloss black decals yet.

Gaztwobikes
Minimoto racer

Postby Gaztwobikes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 pm

I've fitted the larger tank ,but did not bother with the fuel light , I just brim the tank and set the trip ,when it says 140 miles gone I have 20 or so left ,seems to do 140 whether I thrash it or not ,

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Gaztwobikes wrote:I've fitted the larger tank ,but did not bother with the fuel light , I just brim the tank and set the trip ,when it says 140 miles gone I have 20 or so left ,seems to do 140 whether I thrash it or not ,

I did think about doing that but I'm sure every time I'm out there'll be a nagging voice in the back of my head wondering how much gas I've got, and the whole point of the big tank was to not be thinking about that every time I'm riding!

Have got some plugs coming for less than 10 bucks from the local dealer so can adapt it to work.

140 to reserve will be awesome, was less than 100 miles till I was walking with the 05 tank!

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:49 am

So $10 worth of plugs/wire and the fuel light is working perfectly. Think I'll leave the shrouds with no graphics for now, kind of growing on me.

Loco
Minimoto racer

Postby Loco » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 am

I did this, modded the original side panels and got the 08 infills the fit wasn't perfect but still ok. I used the original fuel pump span it 180 and used a new fuel line with clamps. I also used the same FLI that was in the original pump

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom