MTC Failure - 2016 SDGT

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
jraderma
Minimoto racer

MTC Failure - 2016 SDGT

Postby jraderma » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Greetings all. I've been perusing this forum since I bought my 2016 SDGT new this past March and I appreciate all the info I have gathered. Perhaps you'll allow me to ask for something more specific after searching for "MTC Failure" on the forum already?

My SDGT only has a few mods, none of which are engine or fuel related: Puig windshield, Knight Design foot pegs and a Denali Soundbomb air horn. It's got a little under 6K miles on it and I am very meticulous about maintenance having owned several bikes in the last 20+ years.

The other day, I was preparing to stop in traffic and noticed "MTC failure" blinking on the left side of my display. The traction control light and the check engine light were both illuminated below the RPM dial. After I came to a stop, I turned the ignition off and on again (the check engine light remained illuminated after cycling the ignition) and then started the bike. Within a few seconds, the MTC failure error was blinking again.

After reading several other threads, I am fortunate that my bike starts since once the error activates, it seems to keep others from starting their bikes. It also seems like this error is the ECU's universal way of keeping you from starting the bike if something is amiss, even if it's not traction control-related. I've checked the linkage that goes from the throttle body to the valve on the exhaust and it is moving freely. I read in one thread about recalibrating the throttle by twisting it slowly open and closed after cycling the ignition, but the error pops up before I even finish getting to full open. My local KTM shop was stumped over it and stated they were going to call KTM for assistance. My faith in that avenue is short given what I've read in other threads.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and been able to rectify it? My bike is still under warranty, but if you read the fine print, it does not seem to cover electrics (only engine, frame, and swingarm).

Thanks-
Jon
2016 SDGT with a few superficial extras from Puig, Sargent, Denali and Knight Designs.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Re: MTC Failure - 2016 SDGT

Postby RichUK » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 am

jraderma wrote:My bike is still under warranty, but if you read the fine print, it does not seem to cover electrics (only engine, frame, and swingarm).

Holly shit, really!?

Where are you mate?
If that was in the UK, no way would they be allowed to exclude electrics from warranty. The Sale of Goods act (goods being fit for purpose) could be used to tear them a new one...

Just read the warranty statement for the US and this section, I think, would include your issue.

"In addition to the engine crankcase, the warranty covers the crankshaft and ignition
system. KTM North America, Inc. will repair or replace, at its option, any of these parts that are found to be defective in
material or workmanship subject to the limitations of this warranty"

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:13 am

Also just read that the MTC flashes if the Hill Hold Control is active - could that be it?
Probably not as I think that is only on the 2017 models.

jraderma
Minimoto racer

Postby jraderma » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:23 pm

I saw that part about the ignition as well. With some of the other posts and people not being able to start their bikes, I agree that "ignition" is certainly an issue. I've not heard back from the dealer yet, but it's only been one day. Also, the warranty states that you must notify the dealer of any warranty issues within 10 days of the first occurrence. I notified them two days after it happened, so at least I'm on the record there assuming the fault code stores the date in the ECU.

As far as hill control, you are correct that my 2016 does not have that feature.

Best,
Jon
2016 SDGT with a few superficial extras from Puig, Sargent, Denali and Knight Designs.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm

I have an early delivery 2014 that had MTC and ABS failure continually coming up. After a heap of screwing around by the dealer they ended up replacing the ABS unit to sort the problem.
I could start the bike and had no issues other than fault codes.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

jraderma
Minimoto racer

Postby jraderma » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 pm

scamb66 wrote:I have an early delivery 2014 that had MTC and ABS failure continually coming up. After a heap of screwing around by the dealer they ended up replacing the ABS unit to sort the problem. I could start the bike and had no issues other than fault codes.

I'm certainly wondering if that's the path I'm on, only with the ECU or some other component related to the traction control.

Best,
Jon

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 am

jraderma wrote:
scamb66 wrote:I have an early delivery 2014 that had MTC and ABS failure continually coming up. After a heap of screwing around by the dealer they ended up replacing the ABS unit to sort the problem. I could start the bike and had no issues other than fault codes.

I'm certainly wondering if that's the path I'm on, only with the ECU or some other component related to the traction control.

Best,
Jon

The most annoying part about the whole issue was when the dealer plugged in the diagnostic tool it listed the error and listed the part number to order to fix the error.
It took KTM Australia 3 more months to come to the party to replace the unit.
Hopefully you have better luck.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 am

Its more than likely your exhaust valve actuator, its quite common on the GT, they replace them under warrantee. If the actuator (motor that pulls and pushes the cables to the exhaust valve) has a problem, it comes up as a MTC fault, its not the actual traction control problem. Weird, but its happening to plenty of them. PS, check out the "KTM Super Twins Forum" plenty of owners and stuff their on the GT.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

jraderma
Minimoto racer

Postby jraderma » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm

DaveNZ wrote:Its more than likely your exhaust valve actuator, its quite common on the GT, they replace them under warrantee. If the actuator (motor that pulls and pushes the cables to the exhaust valve) has a problem, it comes up as a MTC fault, its not the actual traction control problem. Weird, but its happening to plenty of them. PS, check out the "KTM Super Twins Forum" plenty of owners and stuff their on the GT.

@DaveNZ: Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I dropped off my SDGT at the dealer on Friday and a few hours later, they called me to say that it was indeed the servo that controls the exhaust valve, that they had ordered the part and that they expected it mid- to late next week.

For what it's worth, I should mention that with the MTC Failure warning being set, the ECU put my throttle and a number of features on house arrest. RPM's were capped at 6200, throttle response was locked into a kiddie version of "rain" mode (could not switch out to sport, street or rain) and quick shift was disabled. To be honest, it was a bit weird doing 70 MPH on the highway when the RPMs are capped. Accelerating to pass was like being in a Ford Fiesta.

More details when I get the bike back...
-Jon

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

^^^ I've removed my CAT and cables and and valve, I've fitted a Remus link pipe, and it comes with a little cam that replaces the cam that pulls and pushes the cables, the new cam needs to be fitted in the correct way, so that when the ignition is turned on the actuator (Valve motor) turns the cam and its lugs hit and stop it turning further, fooling the ecu into thinking the valve is operating properly. i wish they would bring out some electronic plug so the whole actuator can be removed. They have done this for the 2017 SDr.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

arg
Minimoto racer

Postby arg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 am

DaveNZ wrote:^^^ I've removed my CAT and cables and and valve, I've fitted a Remus link pipe, and it comes with a little cam that replaces the cam that pulls and pushes the cables, the new cam needs to be fitted in the correct way, so that when the ignition is turned on the actuator (Valve motor) turns the cam and its lugs hit and stop it turning further, fooling the ecu into thinking the valve is operating properly. i wish they would bring out some electronic plug so the whole actuator can be removed. They have done this for the 2017 SDr.

What can you tell me about the 2017 SDr valve motor removal dongle, I cannot find one? All I know of, is that the dealer can disable the error code, which is part of fitting the full akra system.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:18 am

arg, I've only heard that with the full acra system for the 2017 SDr, theres engine mapping up grade, and a dongle plug for the removal for the Valve motor. i could be wrong, but ill do some digging to find out where i got this from.

jraderma
Minimoto racer

Postby jraderma » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 am

Well gang, my SDGT is back to normal after a hiatus at the dealer. After getting word that it was the servo on a Friday afternoon, they had it fixed up by the following Thursday morning. It was covered under warranty and I never even had to ask. I just showed up, took possession of my key and collected my invoice, which stated "warranty" next to "MTC failure." I said "that's a relief" and the service rep said "I never would have fixed it without asking you first if it was going to cost you. It was a $400 repair, courtesy of KTM." :D

Thanks for all your feedback on the topic. I'm grateful you took the time to offer your advice.

Best,
Jon

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom