So why is the Oberion clutch slave so good?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Spike_africa
Minimoto racer

So why is the Oberion clutch slave so good?

Postby Spike_africa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:09 pm

I've read a good bit, but I don't get why I need to upgrade it?
2007 SD 990
2009 Triumph Street Triple

Colonel_Klinck

Re: So why is the Oberion clutch slave so good?

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:32 pm

More seals than the OEM is what stops them leaking like the OEM version.

My dealer has just fitted one to my 1290 as I am having a different issue. I can ride on the road or in novice and inters group when instructing on track with no problems. However as soon as I go out and spank it in fast group I am getting air in the system. So much so that after 20 mins the clutch lever comes back to the bar and I have to hit the kill switch to stop the bike. I'd then have to bleed the system before going out on track again. Very odd as I wasn't losing fluid and as I have the quickshifter and autoblipper activated I don't use the clutch on track other than setting off from the pit garage and when I come back in and stop. KTM changed the master cylinder but this didn't fix the issue, no surprise there. I took it back again and as there was no obvious fault with the slave they agreed to fit an oberon under warranty. I'm hoping this is going to fix the problem. Off to Cartagena next weekend for 3 days so will find out then.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Postby SD05 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:33 pm

You don’t have to upgrade, just wait for the existing one to fail and then buy Oberon.

Having said that, my wife’s Ducati clutch slave had not failed, however, I’d ‘upgrade’ to Oberon and we are both stunned by the improvement, but then the Ducati clutch slaves are not as good, imo, as the KTM’s.

You may find Oberon internal milling of the slave, dual seals and seal material/quality makes this the choice of most.

To maximise life of the slave, it is recommended by Oberon that you buy billet mount, unlike the KTM plastic mount, it does not distort.

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Postby SD05 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Klinck,

They are a bleeding nuisance, or nuisance to bleed. Always push the fluid up and remember to use the bleed nipple on the master.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 pm

SD05 wrote:Klinck,

They are a bleeding nuisance, or nuisance to bleed. Always push the fluid up and remember to use the bleed nipple on the master.

Bleeding wasn't a problem. Christ I was bleeding it several times a day at track. Just didn't need the hassle of doing it or topping up the fluid all the time to replace the fluid I lost when bleeding. Also I use Castrol SRF Racing brake fluid which isn't cheap at £50 a litre :shock: fooking amazing stuff for brakes though.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Postby SD05 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 pm

Ah, you have a ’16 or ’17 bike, interesting how they changed from mineral to DOT fluid.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Klink, you sure you’re not boiling the clutch fluid?
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Willh wrote:Klink, you sure you’re not boiling the clutch fluid?

What would cause that? I can understand it on brakes, but not clutch.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Yeah I could maybe understand mineral oil boiling but not brake fluid. Castrol SRF boils at over 300c but I was still getting air in it. Boiling would explain it but no way is the clutch system getting anywhere near that hot. TBH I'm at a loss to explain it and so is anyone I've spoken to about it.
The late Bill Hicks

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Just saying as it was a problem for me on my air cooled Ducati one day stuck in traffic when the air temperature was over 40C. Gave the same symptoms.

Edit, previously missed the part about you using brake fluid... That shouldn't happen.
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

My clutch master cylinder also needs regular bleeding (15 - 1290) and I have a Oberon slave fitted.
I put my issue down to the fluid in the reservoir breaking up due to vibration and over time a few air bubbles get sucked in.
The air is only in the master cylinder as a quick bleed brings the lever back to full action.

I fitted a Oberon as I had the standard fault with the piston cracking with the OEM on my 990 and seeing as the 1290 slave was the same I changed it before it became a issue.
The Oberon is better quality over the OEM ,I found no difference however in the lever pull between the OEM and Oberon.

Spike_africa
Minimoto racer

Postby Spike_africa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Sounds like I won't mess with it until it fails, or starts leaking. At $150 for the upgrade, I'd rather spend that money towards an airbox upgrade.
2007 SD 990
2009 Triumph Street Triple

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Spike_africa wrote:I've read a good bit, but I don't get why I need to upgrade it?

Give Steve at Oberon a call, he’ll tell you why.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Adrock990r
Minimoto racer

Postby Adrock990r » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am

I fitted an Oberon clutch slave to my 08 SDR when the OEM slave blew its seal at around 11,000 km's. I can't say that mine feels any lighter like some folk report but it is a much better unit.

Mine has always suffered from air entering the clutch master cylinder and although the feel doesn't noticably change, the shifts get knotchy when it is hot and a m/c bleed always shows air has gotten in somewhere. I have changed the master cyclinder, fitted new fibre and steel plates, replaced oem braided line with HEL braided line, new banjo bolts, cush washers and fluid to no avail. Drives me nuts, it's like it has moisture in the slave that shows up as bubbles after it gets hot. But this post isn't about me and the issue is not from the Oberon, they are good and i recommend anyone do the upgrade.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom