08 SDR petrol fumes

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
PBRnr
Stunt rider

08 SDR petrol fumes

Postby PBRnr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:18 am

Have had the bike about a week now and still getting it sorted to my liking w little tweaks and short blasts here and there...haven't even gone thru a full tank of gas yet and started noticing strong petrol smell since having the bike parked in my garage. Smell's definitely coming from the bike but there are no wet spots or drips of fuel that I can spot. Just noticed today that upon cracking open the fuel cap, there's a noticeable vacuum suck noise and resistance to unsealing the cap; something that never occurred on my '08 standard SD...

Am I getting fumes from a blocked vacuum line or vent line? Suggestions appreciated!
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: 08 SDR petrol fumes

Postby No. 47 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:35 am

Easy enough to check both breathers/drain tubes for kinks etc, one front left and one rear right - blow thru’ with compressed air just to be sure - if both OK, check fuel cap - I and others here have removed ‘internal’ rubber seal in cap to solve tank vacuum issue.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 pm

No. 47 wrote:Easy enough to check both breathers/drain tubes for kinks etc, one front left and one rear right - blow thru’ with compressed air just to be sure - if both OK, check fuel cap - I and others here have removed ‘internal’ rubber seal in cap to solve tank vacuum issue.

+1

I removed rubber seal in the fuel cap and replaced tank breather hoses for thicker fuel hoses. Problem solved.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am

Thank you. I looked under the seat and realised the two lines leading to the charcoal can were kinked and one had the fitting snap off the can itself...I've removed the can and will see if it vents on its own with lines routed down & away from the bike.
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom