Motorex power synt 4t vs cross power 4t

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Jpatterson
Minimoto racer

Motorex power synt 4t vs cross power 4t

Postby Jpatterson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm

What is the difference between the power synt and cross power???
10w-50 for both.

I am doing my first oil on my "new to me" 08 990 SDR. I ordered the filter kit and oil, when I got it I realised I had ordered the cross power instead of the power synt. I have been searching and have found conflicting info. Some say its the same other than being marked as an off road(CP) and street (PS) oil, some say the CP doesn't have the same cleaning properties and won't last as long, the PS is API SM rated and the CP is not, ext, ext.

To be clear this is not a "what oil is best" or "what should I use" thread. I just want to know what the difference is between these two.

xtremewlr
Minimoto racer

Re: Motorex power synt 4t vs cross power 4t

Postby xtremewlr » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Google search found this answer on advrider forum: "If you are distinguishing the Crosspower 4T from the Power Synt 4T, which was specified in the past, the Motorex guy at Laguna Seca and Motocross des Nations said it is the same but that the Crosspower was just a newer formulation with slight additional benefits in dirt and no negatives for street. He recommended just going with the newer Crosspower."

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/m ... me.706320/

Another one: "Had it from the horses mouth – guy from Motorex himself. He told me that cross power doesn't have any detergent additives because in theory cross power oil is nominally changed after only a certain number of hours running whereas the power synt can be expected to go many thousands of miles and last a year or more."

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/general-discu ... ost4126529

Hope those are helpful.

Jpatterson
Minimoto racer

Re: Motorex power synt 4t vs cross power 4t

Postby Jpatterson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 pm

That's what I'm talking about.

One says the CP is a little better

The other says the CP won't last up as long.

:?:

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom