Rottweiler air box and few more questions

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Rottweiler air box and few more questions

Postby TomRaspa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:39 am

Hi guys, sorry to arrass you, I’m new on the forum and I’m about to do some mods on my ‘07 990 SD.

Anyone has experience with the Rottweiler filter and the ecu map provided? Is it worth the money ? How loud is it?

Riding position:
So I’m pretty short (170cm) I’m trying to find a good compromise between confort riding and feeling the front a bit more planted to the ground.I know there are a million of different handlebars shapes, any tips of what start to look at?

Tyres: Last questions ( sorry people just trying to make sure I get the right stuff)
I always had Michelin Pilot 3 and I was pretty happy on my ducati 749, all my maters runs Pirelli rosso 2.... I’m more inclined on getting the Pirelli this time ( I got some shitty angels gt atm). Do they behave well on our duke?

Thanks heaps !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Rottweiler air box and few more questions

Postby Aphex » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 am

TomRaspa wrote:
Anyone has experience with the Rottweiler filter and the ecu map provided? Is it worth the money ? How loud is it?

It's pretty loud when you're on the bike, and it's loud at WOT off the bike. However it's a really good sound, I actually put the baffles in my Mivv's because I liked the sound that much more.

The loud BWOOM BWOOM you hear when I go WOT is the intake. (I'm wearing a chest mounted gopro so the camera is over the intake)

TomRaspa wrote:Riding position:
So I’m pretty short (170cm) I’m trying to find a good compromise between confort riding and feeling the front a bit more planted to the ground.I know there are a million of different handlebars shapes, any tips of what start to look at?

LSL flat bars are a good middle ground, here is my bike with the stock bars next to the LSL bars:

If you use the search button type in bars and bends or something like that and there is a whole thread dedicated to different handlebars. I have all the images from that thread in an album but I'm a bit of an asshole when it comes to spoon feeding information, nothing personal lol.

TomRaspa wrote:Tyres: Last questions ( sorry people just trying to make sure I get the right stuff)
I always had Michelin Pilot 3 and I was pretty happy on my ducati 749, all my maters runs Pirelli rosso 2.... I’m more inclined on getting the Pirelli this time ( I got some shitty angels gt atm). Do they behave well on our duke?

Thanks heaps !

No experience with Pirelli but I have been loving Dunlop's Road Smart series on my duke. They're very much the same profile as Q2/Q3's they just last longer, still grip well as I was able to push them at B level track days.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 am

Hey Aphex thanks for the answer.

I was looking at all the posts with the different handlebar and I believe is a very personal choice when comes to riding position!

I’ll probably get the Rotty intake sounds pretty good to me, ( I run akra with baffles now, is a bit too quite ) but I was more concerned about spending hours trying to get the right map..

Ps: I didn’t wanna sound lazy asking for those things instead of searching... but thanks for the head up about spoon feeding [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

05DUKE
Minimoto racer

Postby 05DUKE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 am

Hi there TomRaspa , just thought I would put my 2cents worth in

I've just put a rotty and sas block of plates on my 05 sd990 with Akros with no silencer
and if anything it dulled the noise a wee bit but kept the thud.

As for the map I didn't touch it as I was told it would be fine, but then
I'm on an 05 not an 07!

Good Luck

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 am

@05DUKE
Thanks mate, that’s exactly what I was wondering: if I could run the akra map without too many issues. I know the bike will probably like a custom map. I’ll see how I go!

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry totally forgot about the map!

Since you're in AUS I can't really help you much but some one will pop in, you can run the Akra map but it'll be rich and you'll smell a bit like petrol.
(for future reference if you fill out your location it'll make it heaps easier for people to help out)

Also I totally agree about the bars and riding position being a personal thing. I rode the bike for 30k miles before I picked up some rear set adjusters and moved them up and back, then after 40k miles I finally changed the bars and it's a totally different bike now. (Goin 1 up on the front sprocket also helped with that :twisted: )
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 am

I expected the akra map not to be spot on but I’ll see how I go and then decide.

For the riding position: I jumped off a 749 that I used for several years for commuting and now I feel much more relaxed riding, but when I push I have much less feeling at the front, I try to pull forward in an “attack position” but feels awkward, that why I was thinking about the rearsets and bars..

I’ll give me a little more time to know the bike a bit better, but I wanna be capable of explore his full potential !

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:24 pm

TomRaspa wrote:I expected the akra map not to be spot on but I’ll see how I go and then decide.

For the riding position: I jumped off a 749 that I used for several years for commuting and now I feel much more relaxed riding, but when I push I have much less feeling at the front, I try to pull forward in an “attack position” but feels awkward, that why I was thinking about the rearsets and bars..

I’ll give me a little more time to know the bike a bit better, but I wanna be capable of explore his full potential !

If you don't want to shell out the money for adjustable rear sets, Motohooligan makes a nice set of adjuster plates for the oem rear sets. His pegs are bitchin as well 8)

Me so Hoony.

TomRaspa
Minimoto racer

Postby TomRaspa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:06 am

I should be able to book a track day on January just to see how bad/ low the original pegs are, and I’ll decide based on that.

Also I don’t wanna really try my best learning angle with those Pirelli angels on.... [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 pm

I bought mine with factory pipes. Previous owner had traded it in with them.
When I bought the Akra Slip ons, I tried a couple of maps before staying with "08 SDGuysCustom possibly the best map for aftermarket pipes.hex" map.
I also adjusted the TPS a little and it been great ever since.

I also run PR's and find them fine. Get 16000kms from a set. The rear gets a little loose when they get down to 90% or so though...
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom