How Hard to Un-modify 990

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

How Hard to Un-modify 990

Postby Motogoon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm sure most of you will think I'm nuts but I'm seriously considering going back to a standard exhaust and airbox.

Current set up is Akra Evo mufflers, Motohooligan Airbox and SAS removed. Has a map off here installed with Tune Ecu. (installed by previous owner)

While I like the smooth response of this set up I freakin hate loud bikes, I seriously can't even shoot down to the shops without shagging around putting in earplugs, then taking them out to talk to someone, putting them back in to go somewhere else, taking them out again etc etc. I bought 2 different sizes of quiet inserts and while they make things nicer for the people behind me I'm still copping a racket so I assume its intake noise.

I like to fly a bit more under the radar, if I crack a wheelie or unleash the fury I don't like how everyone in a 500 metre radius turns to look whats going on, police included!

Plus I think the standard exhaust has much nicer lines and even though its 9kg heavier it makes for a visually lighter sharper looking bike overall.

So the question is how hard is it to install a standard map with Tune ecu, are standard maps easily available? Is there one where I can have the standard airbox and pipes but leave off the SAS? (I do like the simplicity of not having those pipes everywhere)

I know I'm going to lose the smoothness of this set up but I've had 2 other SD990's, one standard, and one SDR with no mods apart from Akra's and have no probs with the standard throttle response.
Last edited by Motogoon on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Re: How Hard to Un-modify 990

Postby DaveNZ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Loud bikes save lives.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Dirtydutch
Minimoto racer

Postby Dirtydutch » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 pm

If you move forwards sound compresses , so the people in front dont hear you as early as you think.

You just annoy everyone else

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Dirtydutch wrote:If you move forwards sound compresses , so the people in front dont hear you as early as you think.

Not true for lane splitting :mrgreen:

Anyways you should be wearing eat plugs at any rate because wind noise is the real killer.

You can run the stock air box with the sas removed. You can also remove the secondary flies if you haven't already which will help keep the bike smooth with the stock map. Getting a stock map is another story though, hopefully some one in NZ/Aus has a back up of theirs.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Aphex wrote:
Dirtydutch wrote:If you move forwards sound compresses , so the people in front dont hear you as early as you think.

Not true for lane splitting :mrgreen:

Anyways you should be wearing eat plugs at any rate because wind noise is the real killer.

Yep always have plugs in for sure on fast rides, no problem with that but when shooting into town do do a few things and not going any faster than 70km/h for short bursts then having to wear plugs is super annoying.

Traffic is not that bad where I live, virtually no lane splitting.

Dirtydutch
Minimoto racer

Postby Dirtydutch » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Dont know if sas is essential for the cat, but you could knock that out .

I run akra map with superpole carbon cans . But for the noise always with baffles .
It makes 96db @4k

And run trackdays with it , the tracks also have noise restrictions.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:38 pm

You will need the SAS if you want to run the standard muffler and not mess up the cat.

Try the aftermarket mufflers with the decibel eaters and stock airbox with the snorkel before reverting to the original muffler. You might find that acceptable without adding the extra weight.
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Willh wrote:You will need the SAS if you want to run the standard muffler and not mess up the cat.

Try the aftermarket mufflers with the decibel eaters and stock airbox with the snorkel before reverting to the original muffler. You might find that acceptable without adding the extra weight.

Yeah I had a feeling I couldn't run the stock muffler/cat without SAS

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Ruin, as in the cat overheats/deals with emissions it can’t handle? Just curious

I ran the stock muffler for a track day on a standard SD (SAS/flies gone, MH box, new map) hoping it would let me pass sound limits (it didn’t) but I didn’t notice much performance change at all TBH.

I think if you have all the oem parts, reinstalling shouldn’t be so hard (though tougher than the removal with all those hoses to reconnect going back to stock).
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:36 pm

PBRnr wrote:I think if you have all the oem parts, reinstalling shouldn’t be so hard (though tougher than the removal with all those hoses to reconnect going back to stock).

Yep I have all the parts, probably more just how hard it is to get a stock map for the ecu, I've never used tune-ecu before.

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:22 am

I’ll look through my old laptop...not sure if my old SD ran the stock map with Leo Vince slip ons.

Tune ECU is pretty simple to use once you get the stock map. Should be as easy as saving your existing map (backup in case) then flashing the ECU with the “new” stock map via the ‘Downlosd’ option. Do the 15min reset and voila

Edit: also clicking check boxes to enable flies and O2 sensors as well again
------------------------

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 am

------------------------

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 am

PBRnr wrote:And, you’re welcome
http://www.tuneecu.com/KTM_Tune_list.html

Cool thanks for that!

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:51 am

DaveNZ wrote:Loud bikes save lives.

Mmmmmmm, don't know if I'm a proponent of that theory

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:39 am

Motogoon wrote:
DaveNZ wrote:Loud bikes save lives.

Mmmmmmm, don't know if I'm a proponent of that theory

Try riding a nice quiet motorcycle around city streets and crowded motorways, So many dum fuks that don't look, now ride a bike with a booming exhaust, the fukers know your there now, and they look in fear, ha ha.
Last edited by DaveNZ on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:30 am

Motogoon wrote:I'm sure most of you will think I'm nuts but I'm seriously considering going back to a standard exhaust and airbox.

Current set up is Akra Evo mufflers,

I don't think you're nuts.

I've been running Akra Evos - with the baffles IN for years, with stock airbox, stock filter. It's quieter IMO than the stock exhaust, AND sounds better. I pull the baffles for the track. Any track I've use the SD for, that couple of additional HP doesn't make shit bit of difference for 99% of people. When I want to seriously haul the freight, I use a different machine (with 70+ more HP).

It's a ridiculous myth that "loud pipes save lives" ... The saying should be "loud pipes are for annoying-as-fuck attention whores". Just one more thing that pisses off most of the non-riding public. Somewhere else, I could be coaxed to offer a diatribe/rant/tirade on how I learned first hand this cliche to be wrong. Hint: It involved riding an electric bike (CA freeway urban center commuting) every day for a few weeks.

Anyway, not on epic ordeal to turn the bike back, not trivial in terms of time either - AND assumes you still have all the bits to get the job done.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 am

SDNerd wrote:
Motogoon wrote:I'm sure most of you will think I'm nuts but I'm seriously considering going back to a standard exhaust and airbox.

I've been running Akra Evos - with the baffles IN for years, with stock airbox, stock filter. It's quieter IMO than the stock exhaust, AND sounds better. I pull the baffles for the track. Any track I've use the SD for, that couple of additional HP doesn't make shit bit of difference for 99% of people. When I want to seriously haul the freight, I use a different machine (with 70+ more HP).

It's a ridiculous myth that "loud pipes save lives" ... The saying should be "loud pipes are for annoying-as-fuck attention whores". Just one more thing that pisses off most of the non-riding public. Somewhere else, I could be coaxed to offer a diatribe/rant/tirade on how I learned first hand this cliche to be wrong. Hint: It involved riding an electric bike (CA freeway urban center commuting) every day for a few weeks.

Anyway, not on epic ordeal to turn the bike back, not trivial in terms of time either - AND assumes you still have all the bits to get the job done.

Well fuckmeifitisn'tnerd

I just threw away my factory exhaust last week. SD has a point. maybe the exhaust is going a bit too far backward.
I'm BLUE

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 am

SDNerd wrote:

Holy shit, is this all it took to get you to come back?

Missed you bud and hope all is well with you and yours.

Still riding ACS?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 am

Mate there is no way I would run the stock pipes on a 990!
They are really heavy and to make matters worse they get so friggin hot its unbelievable!!

Archduke
Minimoto racer

Postby Archduke » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Motogoon wrote:
Willh wrote:You will need the SAS if you want to run the standard muffler and not mess up the cat.

Well,i will join the very small club of people who like the stock muffler,it looks mutch more as part of the bike than any aftermarket cans.
regarding SAS u can run the stock muffler with out it,i have done so for the past 2 years and 7000 km,as SAS apperantly only is used during varm up.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm

AGRO! wrote:Mate there is no way I would run the stock pipes on a 990!
They are really heavy and to make matters worse they get so friggin hot its unbelievable!!

I've had an 05 with a stock pipe before and I never noticed the weight or it getting particularly hot, I'm in New Zealand tho so sometimes a hot pipe would be welcome.

Also had and SDR with both Akra's and standard which I actually swapped between a few times to see what the difference was and there was bugger all in it, couldn't notice the weight, maybe just a touch more power could be felt, nothing mind blowing though.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:40 pm

Archduke wrote:
Motogoon wrote:

Well,i will join the very small club of people who like the stock muffler,it looks mutch more as part of the bike than any aftermarket cans.
regarding SAS u can run the stock muffler with out it,i have done so for the past 2 years and 7000 km,as SAS apperantly only is used during varm up.

Yeah I agree, have yet to see any aftermarket pipes that look as good as the stock ones (in my opinion of course)

Good to hear no SAS with the stock pipe is a possibilty, was hoping someone with that set up for a longer term would chime in. I know it's thought that no SAS with a cat is somehow problematic but I'm yet to see an official line saying it can't be done and no real reason not to apart from speculation that it blocks it somehow, I can't imagine unburnt gasses or exhaust fumes not being able to get through the honeycomb?

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Motogoon wrote:

I've had an 05 with a stock pipe before and I never noticed the weight or it getting particularly hot, I'm in New Zealand tho so sometimes a hot pipe would be welcome.

Also had and SDR with both Akra's and standard which I actually swapped between a few times to see what the difference was and there was bugger all in it, couldn't notice the weight, maybe just a touch more power could be felt, nothing mind blowing though.

When I had stock pipes on my 990 which I don't have anymore I couldn't believe the heat coming off those mufflers the damn sub frame would get so hot I was worried it was going to stuff something up.
As for the weight of the stock muffler you're only going to notice it if your an expert rider so I understand why you can't tell the difference :lol: :lol:

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 am

AGRO! wrote:
Motogoon wrote:

When I had stock pipes on my 990 which I don't have anymore I couldn't believe the heat coming off those mufflers the damn sub frame would get so hot I was worried it was going to stuff something up.
As for the weight of the stock muffler you're only going to notice it if your an expert rider so I understand why you can't tell the difference :lol: :lol:

Haha true

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom