Spring maintenance

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Varinn
Minimoto racer

Spring maintenance

Postby Varinn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm

So I've owned the bike for about 5 years now and last year decided I needed a little more excitement in my life, you know, a bit more fear to the daily commute. Thought to myself, what's more frightening than the thought "I did the reassembly on these things myself" when you're carving a mountain road? Bike's an '08 990 with about 40k on the clock

So with that, I've got a bunch of shit I'm taking apart and looking for suggestions on some of them.

- Rear cush drive bushings have a pretty decent amount of play and a nasty clunk/lurching while riding sometimes. The pins look easy but I've worked with bushings this style before and they can sometimes be a right cunt. I don't have access to a press big enough anymore so I debated fabbing up a puller of some kind but how is everyone doing these without fooking the wheel? I thought maybe some sch. 80 PVC pipe instead of metal to protect the finish as much as possible.

- Cam chain tensioners are noisy for sometimes a bit more time than I'd like on startup and have an occasional clatter at hot idle. The rear looks easy enough but a quick glance the front seemed a bitch. Best to pull the rad or am I just not seeing it the right way? Also any specific procedure for it? In my mind I think I can just get the engine rotated a bit in the forward direction to put the slack on the tensioner rails and plunk the new ones in.

Anything else that's good to look at while I'm in there? Clutch basket looked to be in good shape from the outside but should I take it out and inspect it all anyways? Water pump was ok but I had it apart so replaced it with the normal OEM kit (had a bit of a fight with the second bearing but otherwise not bad). Chain and sprockets about 10k km and in good shape. Wheels are off for new tyres right now so I figured I'd toss in all new bearings at the same time.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Spring maintenance

Postby No. 47 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Not had to replace cush drive bushings yet so cannot comment.

Front cam chain tensioner - ‘tis possible to replace without loosening/removing rad but I threaded the casing trying to fit new one so would recommend doing so - rear is a doddle - no need to rotate engine for either.

New wheel bearings and seals - good idea - suggest steering head bearings also.

For me, key preventative maintenance includes front brake calipers, all electrical wiring particularly within headlamp unit, main bundle around steering head and at rear of tank/front of seat, electrical wiring connectors particularly BGC and in and around battery and reg/rec area, and one or two electrical components such as replacing OE reg/rec with Mosfet and replacing battery at start of winter each year.

Upgrade OE clutch slave with Oberon unit including metal, in lieu of plastic OE, spacer.

Drain fuel tank and wash out all sediment, and replace fuel pump filters.

Drain coolant, flush out cooling system with cold water hose pipe both ways and dismantle and clean out crud in thermostat unit.

Drain oil, flush out tank (at least) and replace all filters.

Replace throttle body rubbers.

Assuming that my experiences with ‘08 SDR valves not relevant to ‘’08 SDs.......
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Link for cheap fuel filter (KTM wants both your nuts for them): http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/f ... on.874262/

MOSFET reg/rec: http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catal ... -Rectifier

I've purchased filters from gefr and currently have that same reg/rec on my bike. All good bits of kit.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 am

No. 47 wrote:Not had to replace cush drive bushings yet so cannot comment.

Front cam chain tensioner - ‘tis possible to replace without loosening/removing rad but I threaded the casing trying to fit new one so would recommend doing so - rear is a doddle - no need to rotate engine for either.

New wheel bearings and seals - good idea - suggest steering head bearings also.

For me, key preventative maintenance includes front brake calipers, all electrical wiring particularly within headlamp unit, main bundle around steering head and at rear of tank/front of seat, electrical wiring connectors particularly BGC and in and around battery and reg/rec area, and one or two electrical components such as replacing OE reg/rec with Mosfet and replacing battery at start of winter each year.

Upgrade OE clutch slave with Oberon unit including metal, in lieu of plastic OE, spacer.

Drain fuel tank and wash out all sediment, and replace fuel pump filters.

Drain coolant, flush out cooling system with cold water hose pipe both ways and dismantle and clean out crud in thermostat unit.

Drain oil, flush out tank (at least) and replace all filters.

Replace throttle body rubbers.

Assuming that my experiences with ‘08 SDR valves not relevant to ‘’08 SDs.......

Thanks # 47. Some sound advice there, especially given I've just hit 45K,
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated OEM headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, Factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Nowt but what I’ve picked up from here, from Paul R. and from my own experience.

Should add that I had to replace swing arm bearings, TB and ECU circa 50k miles and you should perhaps give serious thought to replacing cam chains (and valve assemblies?) given Klinck’s experience - depends on definition of preventative maintenance, I guess - most of what I have done is because it needed to be done when things broke....
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:04 pm

A very solid list of PM work, sadly budget won't allow for all of it this year but I'm definitely pinning this stuff for next winter and doing what I can this go around.

I figure because I've got the water pump out already and coolant drained I may as well lop the rad out as well to make that front tensioner job easy and give the thing a rinse. Reg/Rec are fairly new as well as battery and I cleaned up the wiring under the headlight when I did the euro headlight swap a couple years back.

How are you guys jacking the front of the bike to access the head bearings? The engine shape makes me nervous about using a floor jack/wood block and as far as I can tell my front stand that lifts from the bottom of the steering head is a no go. At very least I could have it apart and adjust out any wear or remove them completely if I can get it lifted nicely. I've got some time with more parts still on the way and snow in the forecast.

How durable is the paint finish on the wheels? I'm expecting because of my lack of a shop press large enough to fit the wheels that I might need to heat and hammer out/in the new bushings and bearings to both wheels. The safest method I can think of is very carefully with a propane torch?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 pm

If you have crash bungs you can put some jack stands under them like this:

or you could remove the tank and run some ratchet straps through the frame rails up to your rafters.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom