Minor Coolant Leak - time to replace all hoses

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Minor Coolant Leak - time to replace all hoses

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:30 am

After getting a 45K service I noticed a very minor coolant leak and luckily found the culprit quickly. The workshop removed the radiator and put it back on to get to the valves on the front cylinder but the RHS hose leading into the radiator isn't sealing 100%. Its not leaking heaps of coolant as the reservoir doesn't empty very quickly. I topped it up Saturday after a 200km ride and its okay after a 20km ride this morning.
I think its more a case of an old worn hose as opposed to it not being put back properly. I tried moving the hose forward and reseating the clamp but it didnt make a difference.
I'm going to order in a Samco or similar hose kit with new clamps (with screws) and replace them all but I'm curious if anyone else had similar issues with this hose not sealing / not being properly secured ?.

I'd like to ID the correct Clamp size (OD diameter) as well ?. Anyone know what it is ?. I can then temporarily fix it (hopefully) until I get a hose kit delivered.

2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated OEM headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, Factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Re: Minor Coolant Leak - time to replace all hoses

Postby Motogoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:57 am

Mine's just got a standard $6 stainless hose clamp from the hardware shop there, 52000km, no leaks, that's probably all you need to fix it.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 am

Clamp size shown on OE parts fiche - poor seating, in my ham-fisted experience, not uncommon after radiator removal and refit - are you sure you need to replace hoses? Mine were still good at circa 66k miles on my #1 SDR and were only replaced ‘just in case’ with engine rebuild.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback.... I was thinking of replacing them eventually anyway.
A friend of mine thats owned an SD990 and now a SM 990 has done it twice. His SD990 blew a hose so he's not taking any chances.
Also a couple of car mechanic friends are very big on preventative maintenance especially coolant hoses so its sorta ingrained in me nowadays ;)
I'd rather mitigate any risk of a hose failing mid ride in the middle of woop woop....
After all, the bike is 8 years old and It gets pretty bloody hot here. I rode it 200km through the Gold Coast Hinterland on the weekend and after spotting the leak / old worn hose it was an easy decision tbh.

I've replaced OEM hoses before long trips as well on my VTR1000 (6,500km trip) and Blackbird (13,000km trip). Its invaluable to have confidence in your bike in the middle of nowhere...... whens there's no one else around for hours if not days.

I've ordered an OEM replacement hose and 2 x OEM brackets for now. Getting non Orange silicone hoses is a challenge though. I've decided to wait for AS3 Performance to get them in early March (hopefully) then will order some.
Better pricing than Samco and hopefully they are good quality. Any else used AS3 Performance hoses before ?.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated OEM headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, Factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom