Starter relay busted

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
dudelord
Minimoto racer

Starter relay busted

Postby dudelord » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi all,

Since about a month the dashboard of my 2007 Super Duke R (AU, GB) started turning off and on again while driving (especially when giving gas - overpowered somehow?). Now the bike won't start up at all (dAt 101 error, dashboard turns on and off constantly) and a high pitch screaming noise is coming from one of the starter relays. So I tried to order a new relay from the parts number, but I'm a little confused since the parts number listed in the KTM parts finder only seems to be the plastic socket to insert the relay in. The parts number is: 61111057000.
In the KTM parts finder it's the only number that comes close to the relays, and the name of the item in the finder is "RELAY CM1A-R-12V-H80 07", which is almost the exact text on the relay itself. If you Google Search the part number, you see that it's only the socket and not the relay. Does anybody have any idea if it's the correct part? The webshop I'm ordering won't tell me for sure.

That aside, could the starter relay be busted from a faulty battery? I ordered a new battery 3 months ago and actually had to cut off a plastic "notch" from the battery cover to make it fit. I'm wondering if that was a wise choice and maybe this battery is not supported for the SDR? The webshop said it should be fine. Battery: MotoBatt MBTX9U

Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by dudelord on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Starter relay busted

Postby No. 47 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Aye - the part no. and description for the relay is 61111057000 RELAY CM1A-R-12V-H80 07 (circa £8 each) - they're all the same so you could try swopping one of the over to confirm that it is a problem with the starter relay.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

dudelord
Minimoto racer

Postby dudelord » Mon May 07, 2018 3:48 pm

In the end it was the battery that needed a good long charging, and part number 61111057000 is just the cover like I feared.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Glad you got it sorted and cheers for the update... will be keeping that one handy ;)
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 am

I'm here to postulate another concern. I too had the dreaded clock sweep ordeal that also cleared my clocks mileage. It would leave for a while and then rear it's ugly head. Charging of the battery and or a new one seemed to help for a while then back it came. It is my belief that the regulator-rectifier was malfunctioning and as the battery lost its ability to help regulate changes in voltages the problem would re-arise. I see a new regulator in you future.
I'm BLUE

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom