Mileage?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
oscar
Minimoto racer

Mileage?

Postby oscar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:58 pm

Havent racked up many and I'm waiting for the sun but i wondered what sort of mileage the rest of you have put on your bikes so far and have any of you come across mileage related problems?

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:42 pm

10000 kms (6200 miles) and not one, ONE little problem.

this is my fourth KTM and I believe it's the finest built I've ever owned.
it has stalled once or twice when idling at red light junctions but apart from that the bike is solidly built and runs like a dream.

I wash it every two weeks by hand, inspecting everything meticulously and nothing looks like it's coming loose or falling apart (except the right hand battery spoiler cover screw coming loose on the first 200kms which was promptly fixed with some loctite - other than that nothing)

if KTM continue to make bikes like this then other manufacturers should start worrying

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:23 pm

someone wrote:10000 kms (6200 miles) and not one, ONE little problem.

this is my fourth KTM and I believe it's the finest built I've ever owned.
it has stalled once or twice when idling at red light junctions but apart from that the bike is solidly built and runs like a dream.

I wash it every two weeks by hand, inspecting everything meticulously and nothing looks like it's coming loose or falling apart (except the right hand battery spoiler cover screw coming loose on the first 200kms which was promptly fixed with some loctite - other than that nothing)

if KTM continue to make bikes like this then other manufacturers should start worrying

Were any of your valves out of spec when they were checked?

Do you have the Akra tuning?

Thanks!

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:25 am

Valves were checked at the first 1000 km service and adjusted (prob. why they charged me 250 euros for the first service), next valve adjustment is at 15000 kms according to the service manual but I might just have them checked at my next oil change at 13000 kms.

fitted the akras (and tuning) at 7500 kms but I haven't removed the SAS yet... i get a childish thrill out of my exhausts backfiring next to commuter moms in SUVs in the city :twisted:

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:00 pm

BTW, Jeff that colour combination you've done with the black shrouds over the orange tank looks damn good...

reminds of my lime green duke II which was converted to all black except the green shrouds after a nasty highside...

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:45 pm

someone wrote:BTW, Jeff that colour combination you've done with the black shrouds over the orange tank looks damn good...

reminds of my lime green duke II which was converted to all black except the green shrouds after a nasty highside...

Thanks....it was a bit too much orange.

I am waiting on my Evolution Akra system from Sommer....it should be nice and rude! I am also installing my Dymags(carbon)very soon...this bike is like a crack pipe on two wheels....

Wingnut
Minimoto racer

Postby Wingnut » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 am

I read this thread with despair, you are all so full of praise and enthusiasm for your bikes. I must have done something really bad in a previous life.

I am on my second engine, which is currently leaking oil over my Garage floor. This engine has already been fixed once, as it managed 20 miles before I noticed my boots were covered in oil, coming from warped rocker covers.

The first engine died after it lost oil pressure and the shells were starved.

I have had the bike for 8 months out of my first years ownership ( I missed all last summer ) while it sat waiting for repairs with KTM not that interested.

Total mileage in 1 year ? 1000.

The current oil leak will be an easy repair (not really the point is it?) so I am going to give it another chance when the weather improves enough for a proper ride, but to be honest the shine has gone from it now for me, I am not that interested in it anymore. I am considering buying a nice Honda or a little car. Really hacks me off, 'cos I first saw the SD at an off road bike show in Coventry back in 03 I think it was, and wanted one ever since. My deposit went down without even seeing the production model.

This is not a great advert I know, but if you know anyone who wants an Orange 05 model, 1000 miles total, 50 on this engine, with Akras, I could happily be rid of it.

PeeBee

Bad hair day

Postby PeeBee » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:33 am

Wingnut,

I feel your pain, so to speak. I went through the same sh*t with a MultiStrada that I returned after 12 weeks.

Your bike should have had the best care possible, while the second engine was installed. Your dealer neglected that. Shame on them.

A warped rocker cover mostly is a poorly installed rocker cover, or a busted gasket. I've never seen a warped one, since they're cast...

Best of luck, don't let it mess up your days, Pierre

spo002

Postby spo002 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Hey Wingnut,

I also know the feeling. It seems that a very good bike can damage its reputation due to 2 or 3 idiots who cant do their job right. For me its OK for one bike to have problems, I can understand that there is a possibility to produse one that has a mulfanction. But then I expect from a company that gives 3 years waranty for the bike to help me imidietely. IMO your dealer or his dealer did a bad job. I belive that if you talk yourself tou KTM Austria they will deal with your problem imidietely.

Anyway I also know what you mean by saying that it lost its shine. But the most sad thing to hear is that you are going for a Honda :D

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Wingnut wrote:I read this thread with despair, you are all so full of praise and enthusiasm for your bikes. I must have done something really bad in a previous life.

I am on my second engine, which is currently leaking oil over my Garage floor. This engine has already been fixed once, as it managed 20 miles before I noticed my boots were covered in oil, coming from warped rocker covers.

The first engine died after it lost oil pressure and the shells were starved.

I have had the bike for 8 months out of my first years ownership ( I missed all last summer ) while it sat waiting for repairs with KTM not that interested.

Total mileage in 1 year ? 1000.

The current oil leak will be an easy repair (not really the point is it?) so I am going to give it another chance when the weather improves enough for a proper ride, but to be honest the shine has gone from it now for me, I am not that interested in it anymore. I am considering buying a nice Honda or a little car. Really hacks me off, 'cos I first saw the SD at an off road bike show in Coventry back in 03 I think it was, and wanted one ever since. My deposit went down without even seeing the production model.

This is not a great advert I know, but if you know anyone who wants an Orange 05 model, 1000 miles total, 50 on this engine, with Akras, I could happily be rid of it.

damn, sounds like a late friday afternoon bike :evil:

i suppose it occurs with all manufacturers, but your post sent shivers down my spine - if i was deprived of my bike all summer i would have probably fire-bombed my dealership, raised hell with ktm austria etc. etc.

on a more reasonable note, were ktm notified of your bike sitting in the dealership for 4 whole months? if they were and did nothing about it i would FURIOUS with them, as most of the times a good dealer is as important as the factory that makes the bikes, especially the lemons

i wouldn't give up hope yet though, seeing as your first summer of riding is almost round the corner i would hang on to the duke and make any selling decisions after the summer :wink: 3 months of (hopefully problem-free) riding might turn you round

donkeyman
Minimoto racer

Postby donkeyman » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:53 pm

The bike has around 3,300 kilometers. I've put on around 500km since purchasing it from the previous owner.

ajoe90
Minimoto racer

Postby ajoe90 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:32 pm

I've had mine from new and have done over 18,000 kms in 12 months.

It's been completely reliable apart from two things:

1. It cuts out the odd time(10 times in a year) when I'm at lights or just rolling up to a stop. When I press the starter again it makes the most horrible crunching grinding noise as its trying to start again.

2. About 6,000 kms old the rubber hose going from the right hand side top of the oil reservoir down the side of engine suddenly burst open. The oil pump pumped oil all over me, the bike and, worse of all, over the back tyre. I just about managed to hold the bike up straight with hot oil all over the place and running down inside my boot too!!! KTM fed-exed a hose overnight and my local KTM dealer fixed it up for free and also cleaned up the entire bike too.

Has anyone else ever experienced these two problems before too??

C ya later
ajoe90
One too many and you might turn orange.....

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:49 pm

ajoe90

I have had both these problems. :(

The oil spill problem was the final straw for me after enduring the earycut outs and rough running at low revs.

Got KTM to give me a New Bike (Had only done about 1200 miles at the time)

That was last May. Had No problems since.

BTW. The oil spill problem was made aware to KTM and afix was made available to dealers.

The cutting out went after fitting AKROs with a remap. :D
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

ajoe90
Minimoto racer

Postby ajoe90 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:06 am

fakujak72 wrote:ajoe90

I have had both these problems. :(

The oil spill problem was the final straw for me after enduring the earycut outs and rough running at low revs.

Got KTM to give me a New Bike (Had only done about 1200 miles at the time)

That was last May. Had No problems since.

BTW. The oil spill problem was made aware to KTM and afix was made available to dealers.

The cutting out went after fitting AKROs with a remap. :D

Hey fakujak72,

You said the oil spill problem was made aware to KTM and a fix was made available to dealers??? My dealer just fitted the replacement hose to my bike, is there something else that needs to be done besides this?

Mine is still cutting out(though not as often) since fitting the Akro's and remap.

One last thing, did people here get the breather regulating valve assembly removed from their bike too(remove a plastic ball bearing & a spring). My dealer was instructed to do so on mine cos it was apparently an "over-engineered item and only required for racing". I was told that this only occured on the very first run of the SD so maybe it was just a few at the very start of 2005???

It's kinda difficult the get the whole story from dealers about all these issues so I'm glad I can ask a few other SD owners here :D

All the best
ajoe90
One too many and you might turn orange.....

donkeyman
Minimoto racer

Postby donkeyman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:36 pm

My dealer told me that the horrible grinding noise on starting is a "known" characteristic of the LC8 engine. He said not to worry about it.

spo002

Postby spo002 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:38 pm

I found out that you can stop the grinding noise by turning the starter to off an on again, weaiting for the F light to go off and then start the engine again. No noise at all. Allthough it brakes my heart every time i here the bang when it stops suddenly.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom