Do we need a Steering damper?

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Do we need a Steering damper?

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:40 pm

OK. Many yrs ago (15 to be exact) I had a Bitch of a tankslapper at over 120 MPH . Which threw me off my FZR 600.

Ever since, on any Sports Bike I have owned. I have fitted a Steering damper.

Have only had a couple of exciting shimmies on the SuperDuke.
But have been Toying with the thought, of fitting the Damper.
However. What with the Damper/Fitting Kit/New Top Yoke. Wer'e talking near on £550.

Does anyone think this is worth it? Any thoughts on Benefit?

Don't do Track. (Just Bumpy/Potholed/Gravel strewn, Scottish roads).

BTW. I am raising the bars. To give me That Old DUKE feel and changing to the 16 tooth front sprocket. :twisted:
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

spo002

Postby spo002 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:49 pm

The first 2 weeks on the bike the front was shaking a lot even on straights after 150-160 km/h. AFter it stoped doing it and since I havent felt that it will shake. Though I have not yet had a track day to see what will happen on extreme conditions. My mechanic told me to put one if I want to ride on track or fast on mountain roads. I think that if you had tank slappings before perhaps you need one cause your riding style is as such

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:02 pm

same here Spiros, bike used to shake during the first 1500 kms, since then nothing... i'm wondering if it was the fresh front tyre, seeing as mine worn out now and due for replacement sometime soon (10000kms on it). i'll see if the shaking comes back then...

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Funny, you Folks say that about on a new tyre. Shimmying Has only occured on Low mileage tyres. This is my second SD. and haven't yet clocked up enough miles on this one to see if the effect changes after a more worn front profile.
Actually ordering the damper set anyway (May land down on a "Catseye" after these power wheelie antics I am expecting with the lower toothed drive sprocket :wink:
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:15 am

could be due to tyre pressure?

boysie
Two wheeled terror

Postby boysie » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:04 am

Personally I'm in favour of a bit of shimmying :)

spo002

Postby spo002 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 am

Imo I belive that it doesn't have to do with tyres ect. I think that it has to do with the way you hold the bar. If you lose the grip (not so much to lose control of the bike) the efect stops. I cant give another explanation. Or maybe the front needs to reudjust its position a little bit on the first times you ride. I did so many front wheelies that I nearly bent the braking plate!!!!

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:42 pm

I don't mind it either. Only got it when hitting bumps when coming out of bends when getting the power on. Certainly makes you feel like you're "USING IT" :lol: But I don't want to try harder and end up Loosing it! :oops:
Past Sports bikes I've had were fine with damper fitted.

It's just, that they didn't cost as much, as the required KTM item. :shock:

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:24 pm

I am getting ready to mount some new Dunlop Qualifiers with carbon Dymags... I will report back if this seems to make the tank slappers worse or not. These tyres are supposed to have quicker turn it...I cant imagine the SD turning in 'quicker'.....yikes!

fleegal
Two wheeled terror

Postby fleegal » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:30 pm

Finnster wrote:I am getting ready to mount some new Dunlop Qualifiers with carbon Dymags.

I BLOODY HATE YOU :D

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Finnster wrote:I am getting ready to mount some new Dunlop Qualifiers with carbon Dymags... I will report back if this seems to make the tank slappers worse or not. These tyres are supposed to have quicker turn it...I cant imagine the SD turning in 'quicker'.....yikes!

sounds like camcorder material jeff...

time to get off my lazy ass and add an image & video gallery to the site :?

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Finnster
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am getting ready to mount some new Dunlop Qualifiers with carbon Dymags... I will report back if this seems to make the tank slappers worse or not. These tyres are supposed to have quicker turn it...I cant imagine the SD turning in 'quicker'.....yikes!

I am Dreaming of fitting DYMAGS.(MY car cost less than one of these Babys)

My guess is. You'll be forking out for the damper as well! :wink:

Looking forward to your feedback( Transforms Bike/Like a new ride/Best £2500 I ever spent!). :lol:

'll get there SUMDAY"

THANKS!

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:10 pm

:D OK. Just had the damper and sprocket fitted along with larger Carbon tank.

Can say that damper is a useful piece of kit.
Fitting the required topyoke enable me to move the bars forward about 10mm giving a more leant forward riding stance(Very slightly).

Has already proved its worth on a hundred mile round trip i did the other day. Weather was cold with roads greasey.
As I was leaving a Bikeshop park I turned up hill and crossed a speedbump which was v/slippy. Tail came round to meet me!
Thinkif it wasn't for the damper things could have happened a lot quickerwith a possible loss of control.
Anyway all is fine with the 16T front certainly giving the bike the drivability I had hoped for when I had first ordered SD.

As for the tank. Any extra fuel is in reserve as the light still comes on at @50miles(The old sender unit and fuel cap are utilized in the exchange).

Cannot wait to get back out but it has been Blizzard conditions up here of late(Scottish Bike Show was cancelled).

Cheers!

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:00 am

There is a rotary style steering damper available that doesn't require you to change the top triple... http://www.mscproducts.com.au/
Seen one fitted to a black SD... He seems to think it works well..
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Can say that damper is a useful piece of kit.
Fitting the required topyoke enable me to move the bars forward about 10mm giving a more leant forward riding stance(Very slightly).

I noticed that the new top yoke in the steering damper kit has two holes. Does the kit allow you to mount the bars in the closer location? Also, which risers did you buy the 37mm or the 47mm? Do you notice anymore vibration since the bars are now hard mounted instead of a rubber mount???

Thanks,
Jeff

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Hi Jeff

I'm afraid the KTM riser kit does not fit the new Top yoke as the mounting holes for the bars are now on a raised block instead of the rubber.
Their are two positions to mount the bars on. Mines is the forward position. I have also replaced the Bar end weights with the flush KTM Orange ones.
Have not really been able to use the bike in anger since fitting.(It's below freezing round these parts at the moment).

Will give more detailed review later in the month. (I Hope!)

KTM(UK) have been informed of the riser problem.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom