Suspension Settings

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
donkeyman
Minimoto racer

Suspension Settings

Postby donkeyman » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi,

I've had my SD for around a month now. Although I could appreciate the SD's ability to turn very quickly, I found that the frong end was somewhat "vague".

I finally found some time today to fiiddle with the bike. After giving it quick wash, I got out tyre pressure gauge. The front tyre was only a little deflated from the 34psi setting, but the rear tyre was 20 psi. Well under the factory recommended setting of 37psi. A few minutes with the air compressor and the tyre pressures were fixed.

next I took a look at the suspension settings. Hong Kong's roads are quite bumpy due to heavy vehicle traffic and plenty of manhole covers right where the tyres are meant to go. I decided to try the "comfort" settings. the dealer had set it at "Normal".

You have to admire the SD's designers. All of the adustment screws are easy to reach and do not require any special tools. About ten minutes of tuning and I was done.

I took the SD on some of the road around my place and notice the difference immediately. The bike road the bumps a lot better and I had more feel for what was happening beneath me. The bars seem to shake a little more but nothing to worry me yet. Going around corners I have much more confidence. All up, I'm very pleased with the change.

Just need to get the 16 tooth front sprocket next.

:P :P :P

spo002

Postby spo002 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Good mate.
Has any one done the sport adjustments yet? I'd like to know how the bike feels

donkeyman
Minimoto racer

sport settings

Postby donkeyman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:27 pm

I'd be intrested to see how the sport settings work, and more importantly what sort of road conditions they work in. Probably great for track days though.

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:09 pm

i adjusted the sport settings once after breaking in the bike but found them a bit harsh (lots of front and rear end chattering), seeing as road conditions here in and around athens are anything BUT perfect... have been running the normal settings which i found are a good compromise between handling and comfort for me (i weigh only 68 kilos so the "normal" setting leans towards the sport setting bearing in mind my weight).

hopefully i'll get the bike on a track someday soon and will try the sport settings then (maybe even with a good pair of racing tyres).

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:15 pm

Well, I normally use the standard settings unless I'm at the track or on a very smooth fun bit of road where the sport settings are fantastic. Comfort aint to bad for bike preservation in a stunt session... hehe. (slightly less jarring)

The biggest improvement you can with the suspension though is to adjust the spring preload to suit your weight. I wound my front preload to max then back out 1/2 a turn to get the correct sag for my 85kg wieght, and went three turns stiffer on the back end, which made a hell of a difference, and sorted that 'vague' front end out.

The Superduke suspension is slightly different to most jap sportsbikes, when setting sag on the SD, it's 35-50mm sag at the front and 30-40mm at the back. (35 track/50street etc) Without any adjustment I had about 60mm sag at the back.... WAY too much!!! By the way the only way to adjust the rear shocks preload is to remove the shock, which is pretty easy to do...

Other than that i pretty much leave the damping adjustments alone...
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

fleegal
Two wheeled terror

Postby fleegal » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:19 pm

lockers wrote: By the way the only way to adjust the rear shocks preload is to remove the shock, which is pretty easy to do...

I put mine on 3 turns too, but i used a long blunt driver and a hammer :oops:

currently playing around with compression and rebound but don't think i will get much of a result until the weather warms up :(

donkeyman
Minimoto racer

Postby donkeyman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:50 pm

That's good advice. I wonder why the SD manual doesn't mention this.

boysie
Two wheeled terror

Postby boysie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:26 am

Ive been happy with the standard setup, but decided to check my rear sag this morning :shock: - Found I had around 33mm without riding gear.... PS the manual states 6 turns of rear preload

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom