ECU removal

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Finnster
Minimoto racer

ECU removal

Postby Finnster » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:21 pm

i need to send my ECU to Europe to get the Akra mapping since it is not available here in the U.S. :evil:

Has anyone removed theirs yet? I am at work and cant look at the bike right now and was wondering what needs to come off for me to get to it. I think I remember looking at it and the airbox may need to be removed to get to it since it sits up in front ot the airbox behind the steering head. I know that it isn't in an easy place to get to. Anyone have any thoughts or a service manual that shows this?

Thanks,
Jeff

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 pm

this may be a dumb question but why can't someone from Europe just send the computer pgrogramme over on a cd and a usb-to-6 pin (?) connecting cable?

from what i remember when my bike was remapped, after the pipe installation we immediately connected the ecu to a windows running machine and uploaded the new map to it
Angelo

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:52 am

Side fairing panels have to come off, then lift the tank, two allen head bolts and two plugs and she's out with some jiggling. No need to remove the airbox.

How'd you get your SD to the states? ship it over yourself?
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

boysie
Two wheeled terror

Postby boysie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:51 am

Yes, should be able to e-mail the program from any KTM dealer, however I'm not sure what software the pc needs to run to enable removal of the old program and install the new

Finnster
Minimoto racer

Postby Finnster » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Once I got home last night I was able to remove it with a bit of jiggling...it is in a very tight location without much room to manipulate...it was a puzzle.

KTM is very tight with their software regarding FI. They wont let anyone have it unless they are a dealer....even US delers cant get it through KTM-USA...dumb rule.

I bought the bike from a dealer who snuck in about 4 of them to the US and I was able to snag one. I couldn't wait until who knows when for the US to get them...maybe 2007!

Thanks for the help guys...love this site!

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:14 pm

sooner the sd is available in the usa the better we might get a power commander then

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom