Clutch fluid loss = soggy clutch???

problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
ajoe90
Minimoto racer

Clutch fluid loss = soggy clutch???

Postby ajoe90 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:20 am

Fellow SD hooligans!

Looking for some tech advice please?

I recently changed my front sprocket to a 16 toother and to change it I had to remove the sprocket cover and the clutchcable assembly which was bolted on with two small bolts(funnily enough!) and an oval shaped flange. My problem is that I lost a few (8-10) droplets of clutch fluid at the time and now my clutch action is a bit soggy. Before my clutch had quite a firm feel and fully dis-engaged when pulled in. Now when I pull the clutch in it feels very light, way too light, and my gear changes are not as smooth as they were, ie quite clunky now! :(

Unfortunately I've never ridden a bike with a hydraulic clutch before so don't know if I should bleed it or how or..................?

Any suggestions would be appreciated guys and gals?

Thanks
ajoe90
One too many and you might turn orange.....

someone
Site Admin

Postby someone » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:31 am

start with bleeding it, if it persists then you might have to dissassemble the sprocket thingies again and change flanges / fluid...
Angelo

ajoe90
Minimoto racer

Postby ajoe90 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:01 pm

I bled the clutch system and she's as good as new again! :D

Only problem was that when I went to my dealer to buy MINERAL OIL clutch fluid which is recommended by KTM, my dealer hands me synthetic brake fluid and says "sure that's what we always use!!". I informed him him that it had to be mineral oil only as synthetic would rot the seals. He just shrugs his shoulders, the other 2 KTM dealers in Dublin had the same lame attitude. :x

When I bled the system the fluid was like the bottom of a murky pond!!! Is anyone else getting unsatisfactory service from their dealers? i.e. dealers not setting up their bikes correctly for them. For example: when I was changing the front sprocket the other week, the sprocket nut came off in my hand when I bent back the lock washer!!! :evil: How fooking dangerous is that?

Sorry for the rant lads, its just one of a dozen things my local dealer has fooked up on!!!

I still love my SD though :D

ajoe90
One too many and you might turn orange.....

spo002

Postby spo002 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:21 pm

I also found several little things (hopefully) that where misplaced or wrongly assembled after oil changes and service. That is very anoying for me too. So I prefer to be a prick when I take the bike to the dealers an bust his nuts off with every little detail rather than having my SD with not quite original parts or fluids. KTM has the reputation of neading to be done exactly what the factory says for service or oil changes or even the amound of force for each bolt. Fail to do so and you 're starting a long relationship eith your mechanic...

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Its pretty important to use the right motorex clutch fluid in our clutchs. Like you say, synthetic and mineral brake fluid can rot the seals.

For the dealer not to know that our Magura clutchs need that specific motorex hyd 75 fluid stuff is piss weak... I'd expect a KTM dealer, definately the workshop guys to know that. I've also found a few little things not done over time...
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

Return to Technical - Dr F's Words of Wisdom