Invalid warranty

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
baggieman
Trackday hero

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Invalid warranty

Postby baggieman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:01 pm

Whilst enjoying the banter between SD owners about which aftermarket pipes to fit, I was mindful of a comment made by 'bink' last year who had been told that fitting anything other than Akra's would invalidate the warranty.
I have been on to mine, who reiterates this stating "The fuel injection has been set up for Akra's only" they go on to warn that fitting Akra's and not 'downloading the new tune' may cause the bike to catch fire as it will run weak.
Suppose this makes sense of them greatly overpricing the Akra's then :(

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Not all dealers have the same atitude or information then it would seem ........

catching fire ?....... i doubt it very much

oscar
Minimoto racer

Postby oscar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:34 pm

I have been told my GPR exhaust may invalidate the warranty. I'll know next time to go official as all mapping work is only done for official extras.

I have asked about a remap and I have been fairly told that one only exists for the Akras.

I'm trading it in next year against the new RC8. :lol:

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Been informed i can have the Akro map even though i run Leo Vinci due to the fact the map is mainly for the deletion of the cat irrespective of what silencer is fitted..... running non catted without remap will not cause any major problem,running the opposite way round with Akro map and originall catted system is another matter altogether and will cause problems....... if a problem arrises which can be proved to be down to the non standard exhaust then fair enough,but who will return the bike to the dealer in a non standard condition for warrenty repairs anyways :wink: :lol:

oscar
Minimoto racer

Postby oscar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:55 pm

I'm getting the Akra map too as i just keep complaing about the on/off throttle that exists with the standard map.

baggieman
Trackday hero

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Postby baggieman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:03 pm

rigga, thanks for that, does anyone know Tri County's policy on this ?
Yours are the pipes that I think sound the best (still haven't heard Akra without baffles though)

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:11 pm

baggieman wrote:still haven't heard Akra without baffles though

They are LOUD! (a bit too loud IMO)
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

Cavham
Two wheeled terror

Postby Cavham » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 pm

here you go not my work but made my mind up, or look up the New satone link under technical

Akras can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gjWDzBFfLU

Originals here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNUOF1ygms

Leo Carbons here:

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?do ... 3956221400

SIL Motor Exhausts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3qOr1xGF0I

Leo Vince and Sebring here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g0Ub2u4q4I

Note the sound caught of the Staintunes was only via the video mode of a still camera so rather basic. If I can get my video camera working I'll post somrthing better if you are interested.

JD

baggieman
Trackday hero

Postby baggieman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:45 am

Cavham, saw that link before but assumed the Akra evo's were with the baffles in as they do not seem overly loud. Are you saying otherwise :?:

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:24 pm

Akro's dound very much like the baffles are still fitted .........

and look closely and you can see them :wink:

Thats the evo system cans though,original Akro's might sound slightly different

Bald Kirk
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bald Kirk » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:37 am

For a dealer to say that it is possible for a bike's warranty to be "invalidated" is a laugh. You may consider taking your business elsewhere.

I was a service manager for over 10 years in a couple of full line dealerships, including BMW, Yamaha, Honda etc., and here is the deal.

A warranty is there to protect you from defects in materials and workmanship. Usually these defects will appear in the first few thousand miles of operation.

If there is a cause and effect relationship between an aftermarket component and a failure than a warranty claim may be denied. For example, if you put a turbo charger on your bike and you blow the motor from too much boost then the cause and effect relationship would dictate the motor job is on you.

If your bike has a turbo charger on it and the engine management computer takes a dump, and this failure is totally unrelated to any aftermarket component, then the black box would be replaced under warranty.

There is no way to void a bike's warranty by installing aftermarket products on it.
Surging happily towards the snatch!

baggieman
Trackday hero

Postby baggieman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:42 pm

Just got back from Excel bike show, KTM stand state, mapping only works with Akra's, next door at accessories stand (bloke from Bracken) "Shouldn't matter which pipes you use re warranty" He did however warn that any saving in cost between Akra's and cheaper cans may have to be spent on a power commander to sort out the mapping for the ECU.

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:55 pm

baggieman wrote:Just got back from Excel bike show, KTM stand state, mapping only works with Akra's,

They would seeing they are the only place you can get Akro's and are reccomended by ktm.......remap is mainly needed for catalyst deletion,slight differences in design of exhausts granted,but free flowing is free flowing....

baggieman wrote: next door at accessories stand (bloke from Bracken) "Shouldn't matter which pipes you use re warranty" He did however warn that any saving in cost between Akra's and cheaper cans may have to be spent on a power commander to sort out the mapping for the ECU.

Again i suspect a little marketing ploy..... its not set in stone that a power commander will be needed to gain any defecit that might be evident comparing cans to cans..... also specific mapping that can be attained with the proposed launch of the tuneboy might well make the KTM Akro map obsolete..... its after all a generic map for all motors fitted with the approved silencer....much better to custom map your own particular set up to maxamise efficiency and performance

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:05 pm

I asked a dealer a similar question today (regarding PC as it happens - not my local dealer BTW).

He said "we can work around these things". I.e. if it goes bang, put all the old bits back on and remove anything that isn't KTM approved.
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

baggieman
Trackday hero

Postby baggieman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:10 pm

I wish I understood computers :(
Last edited by baggieman on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Past - Puch Maxi, FS1E, 250N Superdream, RD250E, RD250F, RD400, RD350YPVS, RD350N, DT175, XJ650, Z1100R, R1100S, 1150GS, 06SD, K1300R 09SD
Present - 1290R

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:13 pm

plipton wrote:He said "we can work around these things". I.e. if it goes bang, put all the old bits back on and remove anything that isn't KTM approved.

Thats why all changes i make under warrenty are retrofitable....... after that period its all far game :wink: :lol: :lol:

Nice to see some dealers have a fair mind regarding mods though

Burnsy
Two wheeled terror

Postby Burnsy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:33 pm

Right!

Just fitted Leos and had KTM akra open map.

I can tell you that it has made a marked improvement over standard / Leos and no map!

As for invalidating warrenty my local dealer did not think so!

As was said above slight differences but free flowing is free flowing, maybe not as exact as with Akras but in my opinion ( and this is only mine )
The Leos look better ( shorter), sound much better, give simiar performance with remap and are half the price!?

Having fitted them, i honestly wouldnt put the long Akras on if they were offered as a swap !

I know this may make me a bit unpopular bit thats my personal opinion.

:wink:
"deaf children... does that mean there will be noise or there wont be noise?"

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 pm

Agree with every word Burnsy :wink:

baggieman
Trackday hero

Postby baggieman » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:00 pm

I agree that the Leo's look better, sound better and are considerably cheaper than Akra's :)

BUT

I still want that peace of mind that if did all go pear shaped in the engine department that few hundred quid extra I had spent would mean an unscrupulous dealer or KTM UK couldn't wriggle out of a warranty claim :)

Good luck though Burnsy, if my bike was out of warranty, I would have taken your path :)

Ankka
Two wheeled terror

Postby Ankka » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:43 pm

baggie, don't be so suspicious! If something goes down, you don't have to tell the dealer you had something there that might void warranty. And it's not lying if doesn't say about it..

Dr F

Postby Dr F » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:09 pm

If anything goes pop, just stick the old cans back on before you take it back to the dealers. Better still, just ring the dealer and ask what their stand is on waranty claims and aftermarket pipes.
'05 SD
'82 CB 750/872F
'84 YPVS/RGV Hybrid
'88 Spondon TZ 350/YPVS Hybrid
Tinkerin'...I luv it me!

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Dr F wrote:If anything goes pop, just stick the old cans back on before you take it back to the dealers. Better still, just ring the dealer and ask what their stand is on waranty claims and aftermarket pipes.

Without mentioning who you are of course :wink: :lol: :lol:

Burnsy
Two wheeled terror

Postby Burnsy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:28 am

Ha ha..... obviously :roll:
"deaf children... does that mean there will be noise or there wont be noise?"

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues