Grating Starter Motor and Stall (2006 Model) - Warranty Fix?

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
D4NPH
Two wheeled terror

Grating Starter Motor and Stall (2006 Model) - Warranty Fix?

Postby D4NPH » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:44 pm

I know this has been brought up before, but it was a while ago and i am sure some of you will have had this problem fixed under warranty.

The SD will be in for it's second service in about 4 weeks and i want to ask the dealer to sort this out, as the bike still does it now and again.

Those of you that have had it done, exactly what was changed under warranty? I want to be able to ask the dealer with confidence that i know what the problem is.

At the first service i was fobbed off by the dealer, he said it was because i twisted the throttle when i started the bike.
Which maybe i did when i first got the bike but i definately don't do it now. I just press the starter with my index finger and stay well away from the throttle, but the problem still rears it's ugly head now and again. Especially when the fecking thing stalls.
Which is another thing, got the 16t, got the PCIII, got the Akras, still got the stalling!!!!!!
Alright, it only happens once in a while, but god it's so annoying!!

Any advice is welcome............

baggieman
Trackday hero

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Postby baggieman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:24 pm

As you would have gathered, I am no Dr F or Gregz when it comes to mechanical prognosis but I have the same problem and if memory serves me correct it is the starter clutch that needs replacing. :(

My 4500 mile service is due soon and I am hoping to get it sorted then :)

If I have shown my ignorance and totally fecked up the problem, please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking, bisexual twat :roll:

It's so nice to meet people from different cultures :lol: :lol: :lol:

rifle
Two wheeled terror

Postby rifle » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:33 pm

baggieman wrote:please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking, bisexual twat :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head down, No Nonsense, Mindless, Biker!

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Yes its the torque back limiter,or starter sprag gear as sometimes called.... on earlier bikes it can become very noisy,although apparently does no harm to the engine,though can sound terminal its that loud..... late 06 onwards bikes should not be affected apparently,i informed my dealer (speedaway) in feb at its service that mine was sometimes affected when starting,warrenty claim was submitted,but im still waiting for the upgraded kit to arrive at the dealers :roll: ..... i think there has been a high demand for this item......
problem can be excacerbated by opening the throttle when starting,hence your dealers initial comment when you complained about it.....

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:38 pm

baggieman wrote: please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking, bisexual twat :roll:

I would but i cant be arsed to be nice to you for a change :wink: :lol:
Last edited by rigga on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

baggieman
Trackday hero

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Postby baggieman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:49 pm

rigga wrote:Yes its the torque back limiter,or starter sprag gear as sometimes called.... on earlier bikes it can become very noisy,although apparently does no harm to the engine,though can sound terminal its that loud..... late 06 onwards bikes should not be affected apparently,i informed my dealer (speedaway) in feb at its service that mine was sometimes affected when starting,warrenty claim was submitted,but im still waiting for the upgraded kit to arrive at the dealers :roll: ..... i think there has been a high demand for this item......
problem can be excacerbated by opening the throttle when starting,hence your dealers initial comment when you complained about it.....

Ho hum,

My dealer advised me to never to touch the throttle when starting so being a submissive, obedient, Titanium owning, shandy drinking, bisexual twat .. I don't :)

I always have the horrible grating when I try to re start the bike when it has stalled in slow speed manouvering (please add embarrassing to my list) :(

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:59 pm

baggieman wrote: please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking,embarrasing, bisexual twat :roll:

No problem :lol: anything else you want adding just ask :wink:

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 pm

baggieman wrote:please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking, bisexual twat

F#ck it, why not eh? You titanium owning shandy drinking bisexual twat. Hmmmmm....strangely unfulfilling, you titanium riders are too easy, off to bait me a black rider instead, bit more sport in it :lol:

baggieman
Trackday hero

Postby baggieman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:11 pm

rigga wrote:
baggieman wrote: please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking,embarrasing, bisexual twat :roll:

No problem :lol: anything else you want adding just ask :wink:

Give it a few weeks and you can gladly add

'Play Off Winning'

baggieman
Trackday hero

Postby baggieman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 pm

BigTobyD wrote:
baggieman wrote:please feel free to call me a Titanium owning, shandy drinking, bisexual twat

F#ck it, why not eh? You titanium owning shandy drinking bisexual twat. Hmmmmm....strangely unfulfilling, you titanium riders are too easy, off to bait me a black rider instead, bit more sport in it :lol:

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow too :wink:

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:32 pm

Ooooooooo...........be sure to wear yer best frock love :lol:

Ankka
Two wheeled terror

Postby Ankka » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:39 pm

:o :lol: :o :lol:

rigga
Wheelie king

Postby rigga » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:48 pm

baggieman wrote:
Give it a few weeks and you can gladly add

'Play Off Winning'

Yea ill look forward to that :lol: :lol: :lol:

DukeofCornwall
Two wheeled terror

Re: Grating Starter Motor and Stall (2006 Model) - Warranty

Postby DukeofCornwall » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:25 am

D4NPH wrote:I
Those of you that have had it done, exactly what was changed under warranty? I want to be able to ask the dealer with confidence that i know what the problem is.

The way I'd describe the starter torque limiter is like if you imagine a sherrif's badge heavilly sprung loaded into a shallow female version of the same - does this make sense? It should be quite a tight fit but some aren't, whilst it won't do any damage, one it starts slipping it won't get any less.

There are modified parts and these include the left hand casing assembly so as you can imagine it's not cheap. My bike was bought Sept 06 and suffered the problem but the dealer did replace it at first service; I did say I wouldn't return their demo until they fixed it because it was stalling more often too & subsequently not starting, actually stranding me on a roundabout on the morning of the service (so I guess I was a little wound up & quite arsey).

Anyway, new map at service & new parts = no problem, since had Akra remap. Stills stalls occasionally but no different to any other big twin - just be aware of it doing feet up full lock u-turns :oops:

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues