HP Corse

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
magktmsd
Minimoto racer

HP Corse

Postby magktmsd » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi folks, has anyone had any luck in getting information from the guys at HP Corse in Italy? I have slipons made by them and would like to get a collector with catalytic converter but I haven't been able to get any reply from them, asking for information. Maybe they don't ship abroad, explaining why they're not eager to respond?

Thanks!

Bert

Re: HP Corse

Postby Bert » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Have you tried contacting one of the US importers?
http://www.hpcorse.com/EN/rivenditori-USA
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

magktmsd
Minimoto racer

Postby magktmsd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:25 am

Hi Bert,

Tanks for the tip. I'll give'em a try and let you know what comes out. :D

Mario

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Curious, why you would want to do that?

Will
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

magktmsd
Minimoto racer

Postby magktmsd » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Willh,

There are two reasons why I want to try the "Cat" collector: first, I'd like to get rid of the smell emanating from my exhaust. Even after making the mixture leaner (Dyno + Tuneecu) it still smells too much for my taste. Another reason is to see if it would bring the noise level down. Even with the DB Killers in, it's too loud for my taste now. These are machined units that are not as restrictive as the original ones. Mind you, I suppose that my canisters need to be repacked after 5 years of use.

You're the guy who sold me a Power Commander, right? I used it to correct the mixture on the Dyno. I then applied the corrections to my ECU using Tuneecu.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:54 pm

magktmsd wrote:Hi Willh,

There are two reasons why I want to try the "Cat" collector: first, I'd like to get rid of the smell emanating from my exhaust. Even after making the mixture leaner (Dyno + Tuneecu) it still smells too much for my taste. Another reason is to see if it would bring the noise level down. Even with the DB Killers in, it's too loud for my taste now. These are machined units that are not as restrictive as the original ones. Mind you, I suppose that my canisters need to be repacked after 5 years of use.

You're the guy who sold me a Power Commander, right? I used it to correct the mixture on the Dyno. I then applied the corrections to my ECU using Tuneecu.

Hi,

Yes, I sold you the PCIII. Where did you end up getting the tune done? The pipes had a nice sound when we met. If memory serves you've put some miles on that bike over the years so it should definitely be ready for a repack. A repack should quiet the pipes down to how they were when new and be legal noise wise with the decibel eaters. SAS being connected might help a little with the smell but not for packing life.

I thought you were going to say that there will be mandatory exhaust gas testing coming to Quebec...
2008 Superduke

magktmsd
Minimoto racer

Postby magktmsd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:35 am

Hi Will,

Yeah, I guess I will have to do a repack soon, wether I get the catalytic converter or not. Never done it before. I saw that Akra sells replacing material and rivets but they are expensive. Do you know another cheaper source?
Do you know if I need special rivets, since my cans exterior is titanium?

Actually friends of mine attended an event lately where the guys from the SAAQ were supposed to be present and test the bikes. I'll ask how restrictive they thought it was. That's not what's making me try to quiet down my pipes though. I don't like them too loud that's all, except on the tracks. ;-)

Thanks!

Mario

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 am

Hi Mario,

I've never bothered getting the "proper" rivets. aluminium works fine for me because it is what I have at hand and haven't noticed any problems using them in the past. If you don't repack often, then getting the proper rivets might be better.

As for packing materiel, any local bike parts place can order up some packing material from Parts Canada or whoever has what you decide to go with if they don't have any in stock. The "socks" that Akra and others sell look to be the easiest way. I have wrapped from sheet in the past and most recently used loose pack from FMF. Some searching on the subject might help you find some of the new wonder materials out there that should last a very long time.

Usually the Ti pipes start to show some heat discoloration where the voids in the packing are, have you noticed any yet? In my experience they show up just around the area that the decibel eater is deepest into the pipe.

Regards,
Will
2008 Superduke

magktmsd
Minimoto racer

Postby magktmsd » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:52 am

Hi Will,

Thanks for the info. I haven't noticed any discoloration yet, although I haven't looked for it specifically. I won't bother with getting special rivets if aluminium will do.

As for the sound level test that the SAAQ is preparing, V twins will be allowed 100 dB at 2 500 rpm at a distance of 50 cm measured on one side, according to a friend. I think that even the Harley straight pipes will pass this test. My bike measured 96 dB at 5 000 rpm with the baffles removed last year at Mecaglisse. My bike with the baffles removed gets my ears ringing after a while. It doesn't go unnoticed to say the least.

A+

Mario

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:05 am

Thanks for the info on The SAAQ, gives me something to think about. 50cm at a 45" angle or beside the bike? Will have to check and see if I pass.
Granby cops like giving tickets for pipes. I'll be happy when something is in the books other than a cop saying it's too loud and having to fight a ticket.

Regards,
Will
2008 Superduke

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:37 am

I just use common aluminium pop rivets and a cheaper replacement packing material than Akra product, (ridiculously and un-neccesarily expensive).

My full system without baffles measures between 99 and 102dcb at 5,000rpm with the sensor stuck in the exhaust, (Brands Hatch method)

Not really think it's a good idea. But if you really want a CAT in the tubes why don't you just get a couple of the Akra CAT thingies that come with their slip-ons? They're cylinders the same diameter as the inside of the pipes and look like they are made from some sort of porous metal material that presumably attracts the bad stuff. If you wanted to then you could weld/replace a small section of your exhaust to have a join in with spring clips etc. that would accommodate these parts. They would presumably restrict your gasses and reduce the sound.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 am

bic_bicknell wrote:... if you really want a CAT in the tubes why don't you just get a couple of the Akra CAT thingies that come with their slip-ons? They're cylinders the same diameter as the inside of the pipes and look like they are made from some sort of porous metal material that presumably attracts the bad stuff. If you wanted to then you could weld/replace a small section of your exhaust to have a join in with spring clips etc. that would accommodate these parts. They would presumably restrict your gasses and reduce the sound.

My thoughts exactly. Except, those little EVO Cat thingies don't come with the S/Os on this side of the pond ... At least, not in the US. Maybe someone over there can hook you up with a set (if they aren't using them).

BTW - its usually a ceramic lattice/honeycomb with a catalyzing metal deposited on it (but can be metal foil as well - less common), to convert the CO (carbon monoxide - which is odorless) to C02, unburnt hydrocarbons to CO2 and water, and nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen as the exhaust gas passes through them. No entrapment involved. They don't catalyze non-combusted gasoline (unburnt hydrocarbons) on bikes super well: which is what "smells" mostly. Unfortunately, they aren't perfect (rally small), and its still more than likely that you'll still get an appreciable amount of the same "smell" even with the Cats. I hate to say it, but about the best improvement you could make after leaning out the mapping (but not too much!), is via the ridiculous SAS and stock exhaust. There. I stated it. I can't believe I stated it - but there it is. And again, not perfect either.

As for sound attenuation, I wouldn't have great expectation of improvement. Some, but I don't think one should expect more than a couple (2) of dB.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 am

I have a couple lying around. Not sure why because they should be in the bin.. but if anyone wants them I will post them off. Just give me a PM with your address.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:58 am

Mario,

You could have some perforated disks made up that fit into the joint between the Y piece and the cans like what comes with the Leo Vince. Will quiet down the pipes at the cost of restriction.
I'll take A picture of one when I get back from work.
2008 Superduke

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Mario,

Here is what Leo Vince supplies to be certified road legal.

Here is where they go

I believe that Lowrance found his too loud without them and too quiet with them so he added more holes to find a happy middle ground.

For the Leo's they are 2.125" diameter with 5 x .356" holes and look to be made from 20Ga S/S. If your pipes slip on in the same fashion as the Leo's then this might be your answer for quieter pipes.

Plates like these can be made form a CNC punching machine or laser cut at your local laser cutting place. Home made might work if you have a nice collection of hole-saws and happen to have one that will make slugs the size you need,(same size as outside diameter of pipe that slips into muffler), use some mild steel, maybe 18 gauge and drill the rest of the holes to get the area required.

Will
2008 Superduke

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues