Oval Motorcycle Centre - a DIY alternative

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
IMOM
Minimoto racer

Oval Motorcycle Centre - a DIY alternative

Postby IMOM » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:46 pm

I'd heard about this a few years ago and I know they've got a few similar set-ups (unrelated) in Belgium and the Netherlands but only finally got round to trying them out on Saturday. For London based non-garage owners, this is a great idea - and the reality is spot-on.

They've got half a dozen work stations, each with hydraulic ramp, full tool kit plus all sorts of random other tools and a set of tyre changing kit so you can basically do anything. The genius of it is that the bloke who runs it, Matt, is there to offer help, guidance, a spare pair of hands and a load of knowledge and enthusiasm - and he knows his stuff, from what he showed me and from some of the comments from the other bikers in there. For the mechanically retarded (guess who?) it now gives an option that doesn't involve lying in the gutter in the pissing rain making a hash of things or handing over a bucket load of wedge to get a dealer to do simple stuff. I'll probably stick with Paul (ex-Bracken) for the normal services but any other odds and sods I'll be back again.

Free tea and coffee, great atmosphere and MotoGP qualifying on the telly - it's another one that I wish I'd tried earlier.

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/web/index.php

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Re: Oval Motorcycle Centre - a DIY alternative

Postby SDNerd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm

IMOM wrote:I'd heard about this a few years ago and I know they've got a few similar set-ups (unrelated) in Belgium and the Netherlands but only finally got round to trying them out on Saturday. For London based non-garage owners, this is a great idea - and the reality is spot-on.

They've got half a dozen work stations, each with hydraulic ramp, full tool kit plus all sorts of random other tools and a set of tyre changing kit so you can basically do anything. The genius of it is that the bloke who runs it, Matt, is there to offer help, guidance, a spare pair of hands and a load of knowledge and enthusiasm - and he knows his stuff, from what he showed me and from some of the comments from the other bikers in there. For the mechanically retarded (guess who?) it now gives an option that doesn't involve lying in the gutter in the pissing rain making a hash of things or handing over a bucket load of wedge to get a dealer to do simple stuff. I'll probably stick with Paul (ex-Bracken) for the normal services but any other odds and sods I'll be back again.

Free tea and coffee, great atmosphere and MotoGP qualifying on the telly - it's another one that I wish I'd tried earlier.

http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/web/index.php

We used to a have a place like that here. I thought it was a great idea for the garage-less DIYer. Sadly, it went under in about a year. It was somewhat expensive principally because of outrageous rents and the liability insurance (thank you litigious people and your attorneys). I hope that such overhead costs aren't as unbearable there - I'm guessing however that rents are no better than here - and that this succeeds.

Colonel_Klinck

Re: Oval Motorcycle Centre - a DIY alternative

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:23 pm

It's a great idea. It's been around for a while.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues