Speedaway Motorcycles is Dead

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
tripoddave
Wheelie king

Speedaway Motorcycles is Dead

Postby tripoddave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:13 am

I went past Speedaway, my local KTM dealer in Oldfields, Birmingham yesterday on the way to Kev's and saw they had the shutters down.
Checked their website just now and, as suspected, they are no more.
There is now a massive hole in the middle of the country without a KTM dealer of any sort.
The dealer in Cannock has gone which leaves:
Redline in Loughborough
AMS in Tewkesbury
and nothing covering Birmingham (UK's 2nd largest city) or anything north until you hit Warrington and nothing West until you are in mid Wales.
Have a look at the map and zoom in on Birmingham, take out the flag that is in central Brum and see what I mean?
http://www.ktm.com/gb/dealer-service/dealer-search.html
A vacuum.
fbsr: Sticky Side Down
PIN IT. NAIL IT. BRAKE! BRAKE! SQUEEZE EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

Ducati Pete
Race ace

Location: On the banks of the River Thames with Ratty and Mole.

Re: Speedaway Motorcycles is Dead

Postby Ducati Pete » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Dave, I have the perfect solution.

We in the southeast will give you Laguna Motorcycles.

All we ask for in return is Projex moves to within 50 miles of my house.

You're most welcome.
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Boo hoo, shame for you.

Use the same map and zoom in on my place, Elgin (between Inverness and Aberdeen), then re-think about your moan :wink:

My closest used to be in Aberdeen, but that was still just over 2hrs away.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Theyve been down sizing and clsoing down for months mate - im just hoping Kev was bright enough to pop alonmg there before they finally closed and made them a small offer on all the KTM special tools that he will need for SD work!!!

I always prefered Redline anyway as i found the useless spotty youths they would employ in thier workshop at Speedaway to be about as useful as air freshner in a sewage works :roll:
The official owner of the big pink SDP (thats STUPID DUKE Poofs edition to you).

tripoddave
Wheelie king

Postby tripoddave » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 pm

BASH69 wrote:Theyve been down sizing and clsoing down for months mate - im just hoping Kev was bright enough to pop alonmg there before they finally closed and made them a small offer on all the KTM special tools that he will need for SD work!!!

I always prefered Redline anyway as i found the useless spotty youths they would employ in thier workshop at Speedaway to be about as useful as air freshner in a sewage works :roll:

Mate: you're right, of course!
I've been using Redline as a matter of course for some time.
Their customer service is much better and they deal in KTM off road bikes which is important to me.
But - Redline don't really do street bikes and that will be an issue for all us Midlanders in the long run and it's 3 hours out of my day just to get there and back.

Given that within 20miles of the centre of Brum there are over 15 MX tracks and within 40miles there are 20 plus enduro tracks and then there's Mallory Park, Donnington and Silverstone within easy reach PLUS we've got Projex and some of the worlds finest fabricators on our doorstep I'd have thought that anyone with half a brain could make a fortune selling KTMs, servicing them, tuning them, etc.

Speedaway did nothing for years despite being prompted by customers and KTM themselves to get involved.

Compared to KTM, Husqvarna are tiny and the way they put themselves about through their dealers is an object lesson for people like Speedaway.
fbsr: Sticky Side Down
PIN IT. NAIL IT. BRAKE! BRAKE! SQUEEZE EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

Stupid Luke
Master of the twisties

Postby Stupid Luke » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm

It is fooking tragic that any KTM dealer should close.........YET LAGUNA STAYS OPEN!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I dont know how good or indifferent Speedway were but they could never have been worse that Laguna. Yet Laguna are expanding. How do they manage it? They have the worst reputation of any business since Burke and Hare stopped doing funerals. Surely the internet and forums like these should spread the word on dealers that give good service and the Lagunas that are unbelievably bad? Why do people still buy bikes, parts and accessories from them?

Maybe, KTM want dealers that flog bikes like cans of beans with idiot staff and no aftercare whatsoever.

The saddest thing, for me, is by the time the new SD goes on sale there will probably only be Lagunas left, ready to grab wads of money off all the new KTM converts. :cry:

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Dealers here are hanging on by the skin of their teeth,,,been a long winter for them,,,even if they sell sled's ,,,no snow equels no sales,,,,
BLACK is BACK

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 am

Stupid Luke wrote:It is fooking tragic that any KTM dealer should close.........YET LAGUNA STAYS OPEN!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I dont know how good or indifferent Speedway were but they could never have been worse that Laguna. Yet Laguna are expanding. How do they manage it? They have the worst reputation of any business since Burke and Hare stopped doing funerals. Surely the internet and forums like these should spread the word on dealers that give good service and the Lagunas that are unbelievably bad? Why do people still buy bikes, parts and accessories from them?

Maybe, KTM want dealers that flog bikes like cans of beans with idiot staff and no aftercare whatsoever.

The saddest thing, for me, is by the time the new SD goes on sale there will probably only be Lagunas left, ready to grab wads of money off all the new KTM converts. :cry:

I was waithing for this post as soon as I saw Pete mentioning Laguna...
You can't help yourself as soon as you see or hear Laguna, laguna, laguna.... :lol:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues