Cheap tyres

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Cheap tyres

Postby Superdan » Thu May 24, 2007 4:41 pm

I have found long story short, Round and black on ebay sell tyres at a great price picked up a normal pirelli diablo for £94 delivered to my house (two days to arrive) removed the wheel myself so only a tenner to get it changed. Bargain

Was the cheapest price I could find......just for info
Last edited by Superdan on Thu May 24, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highlander
Two wheeled terror

Postby highlander » Thu May 24, 2007 5:17 pm

Pair of Diablo Stradas' fitted for £159 at Drysdales' in Perth.Got that price when I was in there yesterday,might buy a set and keep them until later in the summer as I've just replaced them....at the wholesalers and it was a bigger bill.......should've supported the dealer but you've to spread it around a bit!!!

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Thu May 24, 2007 5:47 pm

£184 for a set of diablo corsa III the new tyre, when my front or rather if my front ever wears out im fitting these bad boys, but yeah some good deals about if you shop about £150 for a set of diablo's from ebay, great :D

990Glen
Two wheeled terror

Postby 990Glen » Thu May 24, 2007 9:13 pm

If you are going down the loose wheel route, you are already half way there. You can get a bead breaker, levers, rim protectors and balancer kit for under 70 quid. Do it all yourself and start to feel that "extra glimmer of self satisfaction" when you do a change. Ive been doing my own for about 7 yrs or so and wouldnt consider paying anyone to do it now. Running a handful of bikes, I must have payed for the kit 4 or 5 times over. And, there's always someone who need a favour, who in turn owes you one later on. :lol: :wink:
Firmly entrenched in the orange camp.

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Fri May 25, 2007 5:46 pm

I was always tempted to get one with my mx bike definately tempting, I have heard it takes some skill and can be quite frustrating? :lol: is it the same principle as a push bike tyre?

Can you pop a link on of the same bead breaker that you use?

lamb
Stunt rider

Postby lamb » Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm

my local tyre shop quoted me £100 fitted for the standard rear pirelli diablo. thats for me to bring the wheel in on its own.
Still can't beat a good old 2 stroke ;)

990Glen
Two wheeled terror

Postby 990Glen » Tue May 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Superdan wrote:I was always tempted to get one with my mx bike definately tempting, I have heard it takes some skill and can be quite frustrating? :lol: is it the same principle as a push bike tyre?

Can you pop a link on of the same bead breaker that you use?

Sorry mate, just seen this one awaiting a reply.
The stuff Ive got is a few years old as I said. Think I bought it all from Hein Gericke if I remember right.
In principle its similar to push bike stuff. The biggest difference is the stiffness of the tyres and the popping on the bead when fitted. I find some dirtbike tyres are a real pain ( dunlop rears for one) as they are really stiff. Most road tyres are a doddle with it taking more time to get the bike on the stand and get the wheel off than it does to change the tyre.
Basically as follows:
1, Wheel off and let down tyre ( remove valve stem with cap or valve tool)
2, Pop tyre off both beads using bead breaker. Then spray rim and tyre bead area with wd40 etc.
3, Fit rim protectors then lever off tyre on one side ( I have 30cm levers), until one bead is completely off. Same again for second bead, which sometimes gets quite tight on certain makes of tyre. Once you have maybe 3-5 inches prised over the rim then kneel on that section and it will slowly pop off. ( sometimes a bit of assistance with a dead blow hammer on the body of the tyre is required).
4, Clean off the rim. Grab new tyre making sure which direction it needs to rotate in. Cover both tyre beads in tyre soap. Push the first bead over the rim, which is usually easy. Align the balancing mark on the tyre (usually a single or pair of coloured dots) with the valve. Prise the second bead onto the rim using the levers and rim protectors again.
5, Stick on an air line and inflate until both beads "crack" onto the rims. This can sometimes take up to around 60psi. Remove airline and allow to deflate. Refit valve stem and reinflate to correct pressure. Wipe off all excess tyre soap. Balance wheel and refit to bike.
Whole job 15-20 mins depending on tyre brands.
A mate has borrowed my kit at the minute. I will get a look for manuf names etc when I get them back.
HTH and isnt just a case of telling someone how to suck eggs :oops:
Firmly entrenched in the orange camp.

Special K
Two wheeled terror

Postby Special K » Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 pm

Superdan wrote: is it the same principle as a push bike tyre?

Just don't bend your mum's table spoons in the process! :wink:
Intentionally blank.

intenseintent
Minimoto racer

Postby intenseintent » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:21 am

I fit all my own tyres and the only thing i do different is to stick them in my tyre warmers before fitting.
Makes them very hot but really supple can sometimes get them on with hands only!!.

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:01 pm

cheers for that 990 Glen :wink: may invest....

ShadeTheChangingMan
Race ace

Postby ShadeTheChangingMan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:28 pm

cool!

Just fyi, it cant compete with some of the best quotes here but for near London it's pretty good. I got my Rear Diablo Corsa fitted on the bike last week for £110. Ride in (well pushed cos it was flat) and ride out 20 mins later. nice. Top bloke in a little private place in Dartford. PM me for details if anyones interested.

I'll be going back for the front tyre in about 3 weeks!
Black is not a colour; it's a Shade™

Ever the underdog

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:07 pm

ShadeTheChangingMan wrote:I'll be going back for the front tyre in about 3 weeks!

You have no front tyre!! :shock:

That'll make riding a little more interesting :lol: :roll: :lol:
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues