Getting a little worried about KTM

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

Getting a little worried about KTM

Postby jonnyrotton » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 am

Well, my bike is less than 2 months old and only has 4500 miles. It started from day one with a rear valve gasket leak which was fixed 40 days latter. Now both my fork seals are leaking slowly(as seals usually do) and I havent been doing wheelies(blasphemy, I know) or riding on rough roads. Luckily the bike is under warrenty for 2 years, but this is making me worry that ktm's might just be a money pit. I've heard the saying "KTM equals ATM" I hope that doesn't hold true.

Colonel_Klinck

Re: Getting a little worried about KTM

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:36 am

It's a brand new model! This is the price you pay for buying it. I'm sure if you trawl the forums of other bikes that new models suffer just as many problems. Think yourself lucky you don't own a ZX10 as in the UK, even the BSB teams can't get hold of new gearboxes, that many have gone bang there is such a massive back order. A m8s recently did and he had to put a 3rd party box in it to get it back on the road and the garage that did it knocked some money off the bill to keep his old box for spares. Rare as rocking horse shit.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

why2kmax
Minimoto racer

Postby why2kmax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

Unfortunately for me the warranty in the US is only 1 year. I bought the bike near the end of May, rode it 2 weeks and put 1100 miles on it, and then was sent out of the country for work. Wont be back until january. So almost no time for these types of problems to show up under warranty. No option to buy an extended one from KTM here Im told.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket warranty. IF there IS even such a thing?
2014 KTM 1290 SDR
2009 Yamaha V-Max
2008 Suzuki B-King
2005 Yamaha FJR-1300
1986 Yamaha FZX-700

jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

Postby jonnyrotton » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 am

You know I live in the US and was told that the I had a two year warranty. Maybe the KTM dealer is extending the warranty to 2 years on their end. They are pretty straight forward guys there so I don't think they were "stretching" the truth, at least I hope not.
I realise that new models have their growing pains, however the engine is a bored out rc8 motor, so the leaking rear valve gasket that took 40 days to receive a replacement, and the front forks with two leaking fork seals at 4,500 miles, doesn't seem to fall into the "new model" category to me. Those parts are on a new model but not newly designed and out for first time real world testing. Now the rear hub issues fall into the new model category to me.

why2kmax
Minimoto racer

Postby why2kmax » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:03 am

jonnyrotton wrote:You know I live in the US and was told that the I had a two year warranty. Maybe the KTM dealer is extending the warranty to 2 years on their end. They are pretty straight forward guys there so I don't think they were "stretching" the truth, at least I hope not.
I realise that new models have their growing pains, however the engine is a bored out rc8 motor, so the leaking rear valve gasket that took 40 days to receive a replacement, and the front forks with two leaking fork seals at 4,500 miles, doesn't seem to fall into the "new model" category to me. Those parts are on a new model but not newly designed and out for first time real world testing. Now the rear hub issues fall into the new model category to me.

Im going to check with other dealers but I specifically asked what the warranty was when I bought the bike. They told me 1 yr (and I think the lit says the same) and was told KTM did NOT offer an extended warranty. THere was no option they knew of for an extended one at the time either.
2014 KTM 1290 SDR
2009 Yamaha V-Max
2008 Suzuki B-King
2005 Yamaha FJR-1300
1986 Yamaha FZX-700

gray rider
Minimoto racer

Postby gray rider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:13 pm

USA=1 year

scotman623
Minimoto racer

Postby scotman623 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 pm

gray rider wrote:USA=1 year

CORRECT!!! = SUCKS

ferret990
Two wheeled terror

Postby ferret990 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 pm

I am surprised you guys have difficulty finding aftermarket extended warranties in the "free market capital of the world".
In Oz 3year "manufacturer level" extended warranty ($5000 cap per fix) for $1000 AUD, taking our cover out to 5 years.
Typical fine print; require annual dealer service, no supercharging or MotoGP racing allowed etc.

gggsxr11
Minimoto racer

Postby gggsxr11 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:41 am

Hey Ferrett990,
I just bought a 1290 and when i have been checking out parts,namely the GPS Bracket and short license plate holder i noticed they are half the price in the USA,why are we getting ripped off,The licence plate holder is $262 in Aus and $134 in Usa.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:10 am

gggsxr11 wrote:Hey Ferrett990,
I just bought a 1290 and when i have been checking out parts,namely the GPS Bracket and short license plate holder i noticed they are half the price in the USA,why are we getting ripped off,The licence plate holder is $262 in Aus and $134 in Usa.

The old "it comes from far overseas" excuse! Doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned! I can buy a new bike in the states, ship it here by container and still be better of. And it had to be transported to the US also in the first place.
Look at the price of helmets and so on, same thing. Arai or shoei, made in Japan which is closer to us than the USA and still dearer here.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:12 am

why2kmax wrote:
jonnyrotton wrote:You know I live in the US and was told that the I had a two year warranty. Maybe the KTM dealer is extending the warranty to 2 years on their end. They are pretty straight forward guys there so I don't think they were "stretching" the truth, at least I hope not.

Im going to check with other dealers but I specifically asked what the warranty was when I bought the bike. They told me 1 yr (and I think the lit says the same) and was told KTM did NOT offer an extended warranty. THere was no option they knew of for an extended one at the time either.[/quote

my dealer sold me extended warranty

rpm one 1800 942 0400 good for 3 add years $890.00

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:28 am

ktmguy wrote:

The old "it comes from far overseas" excuse! Doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned! I can buy a new bike in the states, ship it here by container and still be better of. And it had to be transported to the US also in the first place.
Look at the price of helmets and so on, same thing. Arai or shoei, made in Japan which is closer to us than the USA and still dearer here.

Yes we get ripped off! I read something about helmet laws in Australia changing so that we won't need the Australian standards sticker bs anymore. What this means is that we will be able to purchase them from over seas and still be legal in AU so if this happens just weight and see how helmets prices here will drop by a lot.
This will just prove how much we get scamed! I spoke to a fella who was checking out skid lids in Japan and they are a lot cheaper than here plus he said the difference in price from a shoei and arai is like $50 so why is a Arai V $1200 and Shoei $950?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:06 am

AGRO! wrote:
ktmguy wrote:

Yes we get ripped off! I read something about helmet laws in Australia changing so that we won't need the Australian standards sticker bs anymore. What this means is that we will be able to purchase them from over seas and still be legal in AU so if this happens just weight and see how helmets prices here will drop by a lot.
This will just prove how much we get scamed! I spoke to a fella who was checking out skid lids in Japan and they are a lot cheaper than here plus he said the difference in price from a shoei and arai is like $50 so why is a Arai V $1200 and Shoei $950?

Yes changed in Qld now. No need for the rip off sticker anymore. Ride over the state border and it's illegal.
Can also ride to the front at traffic lights now. Some stupid B#%% here pushed a bike rider of his bike with her 4 wheel drive here coz he did. The stupid C&% didn't know it was legal and the rules had changed.
Despite the fact there where about 6 witnesses, the cops didn't press charges for road rage. If the bike would have been doing 2 km over the limt on the other hand he would have been booked.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:33 am

Its a joke how drivers get away with this crap :twisted:

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues