leaking clutch cover

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

leaking clutch cover

Postby jonnyrotton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 am

Curious if anyone on here that has dealt with the leaking clutch cover through the casting itself, has had the situation remedied? My first cover was bone dry for at least 5,700 miles before it sprang a leak. I'm on the second cover that lasted 1000 miles before leaking in what looks to be about the exact same spot. Ktm has had the cover for a few weeks just waiting on a gasket that is on backorder until November 27. But was hoping to hear from someone that has had this issue, it was taken care of and their new clutch cover isn't leaking(add how many miles since new cover). The scary thing though is, if the new cover stops the leak(like the current leaking one did) how long will it go before the next leak or if it's finally a done deal.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: leaking clutch cover

Postby ktmguy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:15 am

Mine has been replaced and is since then good as gold, no leaks.
It seems they have a weak spot in the front near the second bolt from the bottom.

While I waited for the parts to arrive I tapped the hole shut with something sharp and a gentle touch (I used a tig tungsten but a sharpened fine nail or so will do).
Tap gently round the leak to expand the material towards the hole!
Then I cleaned it with fine emery paper and degreased it with acetone.
I used JB weld on top of that and t never leaked.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

Postby jonnyrotton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:12 am

ktmguy wrote:Mine has been replaced and is since then good as gold, no leaks.
It seems they have a weak spot in the front near the second bolt from the bottom.

While I waited for the parts to arrive I tapped the hole shut with something sharp and a gentle touch (I used a tig tungsten but a sharpened fine nail or so will do).
Tap gently round the leak to expand the material towards the hole!
Then I cleaned it with fine emery paper and degreased it with acetone.
I used JB weld on top of that and t never leaked.

So you did all this on the outside of the case? I'm pretty picky about detail stuff, so jb weld or a "punched" nick on the outside would bug me to no end. Plus there doesn't seem to be a visable little crack or hole. If I could see one and my cover started leaking after the warranty, I would try to use a pin punch on the inside of the cover and maybe some jb weld. Plus my leak is if you look at the round clutch cover and follow the 2nd bolt to the right/front into where there is another round shaped area below the water pump(looks like where a bearing must be mounted) that is where the leak has been on both covers.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:01 am

jonnyrotton wrote:So you did all this on the outside of the case? I'm pretty picky about detail stuff, so jb weld or a "punched" nick on the outside would bug me to no end. Plus there doesn't seem to be a visable little crack or hole. If I could see one and my cover started leaking after the warranty, I would try to use a pin punch on the inside of the cover and maybe some jb weld. Plus my leak is if you look at the round clutch cover and follow the 2nd bolt to the right/front into where there is another round shaped area below the water pump(looks like where a bearing must be mounted) that is where the leak has been on both covers.

Did you read properly? I only did this till the new part arrived so I could ride the bike without oil going everywhere till it was fixed properly...
I'm probably more anal about details than you, that's why I stopped the leak instead of having oil burn marks on the exhaust and so.

There is never a visible crack or hole till you look very close, it's a pinhole in the casting.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

Postby jonnyrotton » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:18 am

How long did your first cover go for before it started leaking? How many miles does the new cover have? What sucks, is how my first cover went 5700+ miles without a leak and my second 1000. But even if the 3rd cover is the one to cure it forever, I'll always be suspicious not knowing how long or if it will ever leak.
Secondly, I was a bit confused how you stopped your leak because you seemed like you might be anal also considering mentioning to me to go with ceramic bearings. Now I can say if I were a racer and needed every ounce of advantage I could muster up, ceramic bearings would be on my list. But I'm not one of those guys who has to put all the latest and greatest accessories on my bike mainly for bragging rights, but what ever mods I make I want to be done tastefully and properly. Hell, I grew up with a father who would fold his clothes to put in the dirty clothes hamper, so that ought to tell you how the rest of my life went. Even as much as I hated it growing up, some of it rubs off.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:33 pm

jonnyrotton wrote:How long did your first cover go for before it started leaking? How many miles does the new cover have? What sucks, is how my first cover went 5700+ miles without a leak and my second 1000. But even if the 3rd cover is the one to cure it forever, I'll always be suspicious not knowing how long or if it will ever leak.

Yes the casting process is designed to make the parts light, unfortunately a side effect of the process is that the metal becomes porous.
On my bike the original leaked from day one, the dealer and I initially taught it was the gasket.
Replacing the gasket made it worse as it obviously "moved" during the gasket replacement.
The new one is on for 2000km now and it's fine (till it needs to be undone for some other reason).

Due to the above reasons I would suggest that torquing up the screws needs to be done with utmost care not to put abnormal tension on the cover during assembly as it might open up leaks.
The time honored system of slowly doing all the bolts up bit by bit seems like a good idea.

AZ1290R
Minimoto racer

Postby AZ1290R » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 am

ktmguy wrote:Due to the above reasons I would suggest that torquing up the screws needs to be done with utmost care not to put abnormal tension on the cover during assembly as it might open up leaks.
The time honored system of slowly doing all the bolts up bit by bit seems like a good idea.

I think you need to tell that to your mechanic with a tail from your Avatar, monkeys sometimes don't know their own strength :mrgreen:
AZ1290R

2004 Black Lab mix
2006 American Dingo
2005 Acura TL
35 previous bikes and quads.
Current 2014 SD 1290

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:31 am

AZ1290R wrote:
ktmguy wrote:Due to the above reasons I would suggest that torquing up the screws needs to be done with utmost care not to put abnormal tension on the cover during assembly as it might open up leaks.

I think you need to tell that to your mechanic with a tail from your Avatar, monkeys sometimes don't know their own strength :mrgreen:

How did you guess that's my mechanic? :lol:

No he did a great job, as mentioned it leaked from new and all he did the first time is replace the gasket which didn't fix it.
Since gasket and cover have been replaced together it's been fine.

jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

Postby jonnyrotton » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:22 am

I just realised I haven't built my KTM shrine! I need to build mind and start paying homage. No wonder the KTM gods are angry at me.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:40 am

jonnyrotton wrote:I just realised I haven't built my KTM shrine! I need to build mind and start paying homage. No wonder the KTM gods are angry at me.

Start with painting your house orange and get a second KTM, we'll inspect next week!
Mandatory drinks during inspection red bull (and Vodka), campari orange and for food, sushi salmon rolls (kinda orange inside to stick it to the japanese) :lol: :lol:
Red is a nono for motorbikes but OK if you have a Ferrari, which we will test ride after all the red bull and vodka is finished... :lol:

jonnyrotton
Two wheeled terror

Postby jonnyrotton » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:01 am

House is painted, I got the drinks and sushi ready so come on over! No Ferrari :( you'll have to settle for a Lamborghini

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:47 am

jonnyrotton wrote:House is painted, I got the drinks and sushi ready so come on over! No Ferrari :( you'll have to settle for a Lamborghini

Hmm, it'll take me 2 days to get there so I have to say no to the sushi as it will be septic by then, unless you preserve it in the vodka.
Lamborghini will work as long as it is red or orange.

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues