Custom LED integrated taillight product DEVELOPMENT

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
Faken

Custom LED integrated taillight product DEVELOPMENT

Postby Faken » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Who wants the best integrated turn signal brake light on the market?

http://www.customled.com/collections/integrated-led-tail-lights-for-motorcycles

I am in talks with Custom LED about creating an integrated turn signal taillight for the Super Duke 1290 R. When it comes to our motorcycles and integrated taillights, the choices are almost nonexistent. As far as I know, there is only one manufacturer out in France who's created one and they only ship to Europe. Not to mention their product looks completely different in design from the OEM tail light.

I have personally used Custom LED's taillights on two previous motorcycles, and when I say they are the best, they are truly leaps and bounds beyond any other manufacturer. Their LED's are the brightest, most reliable, and best looking. The taillight would be plug & play with the factory harnesses, utilizing the CANBUS system to avoid any error codes.

Creating the integrated taillight would take about 4-6 months from the minimum fill date (number of pre-orders). They would need roughly 30-35 pre-orders at about $135 each to justify creating the taillight. Let's get a list of members here willing to prepay for the integrated taillight and I will pass along the information to Custom LED. Once they give me the green light, all interested parties would prepay Custom LED directly to get the project started. Add your name to the list if interested.

1. Faken
2. .....

lc4
Stunt rider

Re: Custom LED integrated taillight product DEVELOPMENT

Postby lc4 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:36 pm

You will get no Aussie sales as intergrated taillights are illegal here.

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:07 pm

lc4 wrote:You will get no Aussie sales as intergrated taillights are illegal here.

Same in the UK :roll:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

catalonia
Minimoto racer

Postby catalonia » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

in Catalonia are illegal too, bad luck for us because it seems to be a good and tidy improvement....
SD1290 R 2014, Ready for this?

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:14 pm

lc4 wrote:You will get no Aussie sales as intergrated taillights are illegal here.

Integration isn't illegal in the US, but there are invariably requirements regarding the physical separation of the turn signals, which cannot be met in a SuperDuke's taillight housing.

This doesn't halt the vending of said-type products in the US, of course with the usual pile of disclaimers beginning with "Not legal for highway use, FOR OFF-ROAD/-HIGHWAY USE ONLY ...", which seems to only encourage their sales. :lol:

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 pm

I ran one for years on the 990, never had an issue.

Illegal, illegal... It's almost illegal to breath here... Time to have some normal people in power who actually address important stuff instead of rubbish.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:00 am

Even if they were legal I would not fit one as I see them as a safety issue.
A mate has one fitted to his Triumph and it is hard to pick up the blinkers when you know they are there, what hope has most cage drivers got.

Faken

Postby Faken » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey guys! Yes I am aware there was an attempt made before mine to have these produced which doesn't seem to have yielded anything. That being said, I'm also part of a SDR Facebook group and we have about 5 people in as of right now. Integrated tail lights are illegal in the U.S. as well, but I've only ever used mine offroad so that was of no concern to me :D

That being said, let's get some seriously interested parties on board here! If not, maybe you chaps have some other forums you can steer me to to get the necessary support to have these produced?

Thanks!

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:48 pm

lc4 wrote:A mate has one fitted to his Triumph and it is hard to pick up the blinkers when you know they are there, what hope has most cage drivers got.

LOL - I think you give cagers more credit than they deserve ... Maybe they're more attentive in Oz - ? Well, they probably are ... It's been a few years, but my riding there and in NZ both, I was always impressed with how aware and courteous everyone seemed to be toward motorcyclists.

Here, you're absolutely invisible = it wouldn't matter if you even had a tailight. Or any lights all. Maybe none would be more safe - ? People are too busy texting when behind the wheel, to ever notice anything as unimportant as another's turn signals. The "cool" thing to do here, is to of course not use them. Seriously, if you're wasting your time moving that little stalk - when you could be reading and responding to that life-or-death text message (they're all "life-and-death" - right?) - how can you expect any of the people on the other end of all the messaging, to have any respect for you :?:

All this effort to put all this crap on steering wheels, paddle shifters for auto transmissions (that most never use), voice activated infotainment systems - and the lowly turn signal stalk remains relegated to manual actuation and an oh-so-inconvenient location - not they get used anyway.

Nothing personal Faken, but I won't by purchasing one - but I can only encourage you to get these manufactured, and sell as many as possible in the US. Cagers here won't even notice.

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues