Ktm 990 SD-SDR swing arm extentions

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
Kandyroll
Minimoto racer

Ktm 990 SD-SDR swing arm extentions

Postby Kandyroll » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 am

Does anyone make a good swing arm extentions for the 08 990? I've been looking all over and can't find a thing. Only looking for 3 inches or so just to help with launching better at the local dragway.

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Ktm 990 SD-SDR swing arm extentions

Postby Aphex » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:17 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a swing arm extension for the SD, might be something you'd have to fabricate.

Have you tried strapping the front?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Kandyroll
Minimoto racer

Postby Kandyroll » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Yes and it still wants to wheelie bad. We went 11.42 while trying to control the front

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Same issue here, I'm looking for a couple of SD 990, SM 990 or Adventure 990 swingarms to make an extended swingarm for my 990 Super Duke. I've been able to get it to 11.1 ET but that's with still fighting the launch wheelie issue. I lower the front end only with raising the fork tubes in the triple clamp so instead of strapping it down I think I'll also look for a set of forks to shorten them. I've been riding the bike to and from the track and would still like to do that. I stopped doing a big long burn out to not get so much traction from a hot tyre. I'm looking for high 10's next year and won't quit until I get there.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25718

Bathmagic
Minimoto racer

Postby Bathmagic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:21 am

What about fabricating a launch control- like the ones on dirt bikes

You pull up- click it to lock on- roll forward and pull front brakes while pushing down-
When the fork goes down the device clicks into place where the fork is.

In essence it holds the fork in until you push down and pass that travel point at which time it unlocks
And will not lock again until you click it to the lock position.
It works wonders on dirtbikes, I cannot see a reason the same principle would work on this.
2010 SDR

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:39 am

Bathmagic wrote:What about fabricating a launch control- like the ones on dirt bikes

You pull up- click it to lock on- roll forward and pull front brakes while pushing down-
When the fork goes down the device clicks into place where the fork is.

In essence it holds the fork in until you push down and pass that travel point at which time it unlocks
And will not lock again until you click it to the lock position.
It works wonders on dirtbikes, I cannot see a reason the same principle would work on this.

I raised my forks up in the triple clamps (to lower the front of course) as far as I could (limit is the compression/rebound adjustment knobs hit the underside of the forks so find a way to raise the handlebars) and yes it did help but lowering both the front end (by a dedicated strap system, see link) and the rear (re, shock/linkage) suspension is a much better way. Sometimes you need assistance to lock the mx fork guard system down especially if you are going for max front end lowering and that's not always available. I have a carbon fiber front fender on my 990 SD and not sure if the mx system will work on the way the fender (even standard fender) is shaped and moves?? A longer swingarm/ WHEEL BASE with a fixed lower front end is the way to go IMO. Put the longest chain on it that allows you to adjust it to be as far back in the rear axle slots as possible for the longest possible standard system wheelbase for now...........and make a longer swingarm even if it is only a few inches

http://motoaus.com/race/drag-racing/nin ... reet-bike/

Very tough to improve your 60' times very much with just lowering the front, a lower rear and longer swingarm is a must when you run against bikes setup like this :shock:

Even with the front end lowered I can barely touch the ground/track with my toes and balls of my feet (yeah I'm vertically challenged :lol: ) look at the rider's leg and foot position I'm up against in the final.

and with a lot of bikes also setup like that and that's only half of the bikes in the staging lane :shock:.........................I beat em all that day on my lowly 990 SD :)

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues