Front brakes

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
Varinn
Minimoto racer

Front brakes

Postby Varinn » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:50 pm

So I've never had to buy brake parts for a bike before, but summer is coming down the pipe right quickly and my front rotors are warped to shit or have heavy deposits on them that make my front's pulse like dubstep.

Where is the cheapest place to get reasonable stuff in Canada these days? I'm not a track rider and I don't abuse my brakes on the street so I'm not concerned with getting the best.

I was considering a set of these suckers, after conversion they'd be about $300 each. What would the downsides be? What is the benefit of going with the more expensive "wave" rotors?
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/ebc-k ... ke-rotors/

Still a bit spendy for what they are if you ask me at nearly twice the price of these 345mmx28 floating rotors I just bought for the M Coupe. I guess that's just the way she goes when it's got half the wheels!

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Front brakes

Postby No. 47 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Have tried a few 'cheaper' alternatives but they've not lasted long so reverted to OE - do you do a lot of miles?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Not lately no, the rest of life has finally caught up and it's made a drastic cut to my riding time and budget. I did however notice that the OE fronts are only about $50us more than the EBC per piece, so I will likely look that way.

With that being said, I don't know if I'm quite prepared just yet to throw down almost $1000 for a set of oem pads and rotors by the time they reach my house in Canada. Canuck bucks just aren't what they were two years ago...

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 pm

'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 am

No. 47 wrote:Cheaper and better http://www.dp-brakes.com/Search.asp

+1

Dont buy OEM pads, DP (dunlop pads) are better and cheaper...

I used oem pads, brembo sa, ebc hh and dp hh+...and the last ones are my favourites
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:08 am

Brakes are a pretty important bit of your bike. Personally I'd go for OEM Brembo discs if you can stretch to them. The wave bit is fashion and nothing else, there's no performance benefit whatsoever from wavy profiles, save maybe marginally more surface area for cooling, but it's very marginal. When WSB and GP bikes have wavy rotors fitted there'll be a decent Engineering argument for them.
Pad-wise, I'm a big fan of SBS RS pads myself, but again it's down to price, availability and preference.
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues