Technically Capable Dealer in California?

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
Allan P.
Minimoto racer

Technically Capable Dealer in California?

Postby Allan P. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 pm

I have an 08SD with 6000+ miles on it and want to fit Akro Evo cans, a PC III, maybe the KTM Akro Evo map and have it dialed in on a dyno. The nearest KTM dealer with a dyno is Santa Barbara Motor Sports but I'm not very confident that they know what they are doing.

Their tuner for instance had never heard that KTM have a map for Akro Evo cans and was not aware that the bikes ignition timing is retarded in the lower gears. They also insist that I take the bike away on a trailer after the work because it will not be road legal which is very inconvenient for me.

I live on the Central Coast of California in San Luis Obispo but would be prepared to travel to San Francisco or L.A. if necessary. I will however, only do it with a dealer that I can have some confidence in. Any suggestions???

JiggleRacing
Two wheeled terror

Postby JiggleRacing » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:13 am

ktmtwins in San Fran

Allan P.
Minimoto racer

Postby Allan P. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:55 am

Thanks I'll check them out.
S.F. will also be good for me because I can ride the bike up the coast for fun and stay the night with friends while the bike is being worked on.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:05 am

Scuderia West in SF
http://www.scuderia.com/

JiggleRacing
Two wheeled terror

Postby JiggleRacing » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:57 pm

yes, ktm twins and scuderia are one in the same.
i buy from them and gladly pay for shipping as my nearby dealer sucks.

JCLCTR
Minimoto racer

Postby JCLCTR » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Eric's in Pasadena. Eric and Brett are amazing. Not the cheapest, but the best in my experience. I spent a grip trailering my bikes (SD 990, SM 950, 625 SXC) to Eric's. Brett went over every fastener on the MCs and fixed everything that was below par. Installed new exhausts on LC8s and re-jetted and re-mapped fueling. All three bikes run better than new. Sometimes they can be opinionated and maybe a bit quirky, but they know their stuff cold.

fast4d
Stunt rider

Postby fast4d » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:53 pm

if you're getting the map and nothing else any dealer with the equipment can handle it. scuderia, eric's and z-racing would be the goto if you need something like a valve clearance check/adj
Alan
----------------------------
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM 990 SMT
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR

warh0rn
Two wheeled terror

Postby warh0rn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:39 am

I personally had a good experience with Mach1. But I have heard great things about the other mentioned. Might be possible that you cant go wrong with either of them.

Mach1
510 Couch Street
Vallejo
CA
USA

1 888 336 9911
2001 Kawasaki ZX6R- Rest in peices!
1982 Honda Magna V45- Reluctantly Sold for the Duke Deposit
2007 CBR 600RR- Gone in 60 seconds :( Theft replacement warrenty and full coverage was worth buying on CBR ^_^
2007 Super Duke 990 - The Rocket Rhino

kenscottphoto
Two wheeled terror

Postby kenscottphoto » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:46 am

+1 for Eric's in Pasadena

626-449-3742
1361 East Walnut Street
Pasadena CA.

I just dropped off my 07 there today for the 6K service. The original owner checked the valves at 3K so I am in for the basic service (oil change, adjust and tighten everything) plus brake and coolant flush. Bret walked around my bike for 10 minutes looking at everything. The service area is immaculate and I have a great feeling about them. I took the train back to Korea Town from Eric's, very easy and fast (left riding gear at their shop). I got the bike back today and it runs and feels great. The brakes/clutch were bleed and coolant flushed. He adjusted the mirrors and handlebars. Everyone there was very pleasant and I would totally recommend them. I hope this helps.
Thanks,

Ken

2007 KTM Superduke Black-Current
2002 Kawasaki Concours Silver--Sold
1999 Kawasaki KLR650 Blue/Green--Sold

Galbi
Minimoto racer

Postby Galbi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 pm

I have yet to find a socal service place for KTM street bikes which pays attention to detail, and is reliable and consistent.

KTM delaers I have been and an do not recommend:
KTM of Santa Monica: oh boy they suck!
Z-Racing in Orange: sadly they suck too!
Same old problem, you can't trust them in what they do. It's a total toss up on how good the outcome of there work will be. One thing is for sure they will f..k up there work endless with no problem what soever. Very sorry bunch of Folk's.
Super, super lame places.
Last edited by Galbi on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

dynastar
Minimoto racer

Postby dynastar » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Another plug for Scuderia. Alot of KTM advriders and a couple Aprilia riders I've met have been happy with the service dept at Scuderia.
"if there is one thing I learned in college,
it's how to surf the Internet and be sarcastic
about what I find"
Rebekah Lorenz, Harvard class of 2002

Galbi
Minimoto racer

Re: Technically Capable Dealer in California?

Postby Galbi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 am

Eric's KTM in Pasadena
Brett is one of the best mechanics, great guy, great work!
2008 990 SD
1986 ATK 560

kenscottphoto
Two wheeled terror

Postby kenscottphoto » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:11 am

I am going to chime in here. I posted about Eric's before and since then I have been to Orange as well. My bike now has 11-12,000 on her and I needed to do an oil change and you know what? I needed to use a braker bar to take the oil drain plug off :evil: . The last mechanic put it on German Torque Spec (Good-In-Tight). The dreaded oil change wasn't that hard at all. Just use some aluminium foil to protect wires/pipes from the oil. The last cough cough mechanic to do my oil change left quite a mess for me to clean up. Sadly I will be doing the my service myself from now on. I actually like doing the service myself and it would be nice to know that I could pay someone I trusted if I needed to.

WE should have a mechanical day, 1 garage/house a ton of tools and collective know how. I'm sure that there are people on the fence about doing things. Just a thought.
Thanks,

Ken

2007 KTM Superduke Black-Current
2002 Kawasaki Concours Silver--Sold
1999 Kawasaki KLR650 Blue/Green--Sold

kowekiller
Two wheeled terror

Postby kowekiller » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:03 am

The best person for service is yourself. Alot of reading and getting your hands dirty! At least if something went wrong working on it you wont find out about it 3k later.
If it has tits or wheels I'll ride it!
2008 SDR
SoCal

Duke of Wrath
Stunt rider

Postby Duke of Wrath » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 am

kenscottphoto wrote:I am going to chime in here. I posted about Eric's before and since then I have been to Orange as well. My bike now has 11-12,000 on her and I needed to do an oil change and you know what? I needed to use a braker bar to take the oil drain plug off :evil: . The last mechanic put it on German Torque Spec (Good-In-Tight). The dreaded oil change wasn't that hard at all. Just use some aluminium foil to protect wires/pipes from the oil. The last cough cough mechanic to do my oil change left quite a mess for me to clean up. Sadly I will be doing the my service myself from now on. I actually like doing the service myself and it would be nice to know that I could pay someone I trusted if I needed to.

WE should have a mechanical day, 1 garage/house a ton of tools and collective know how. I'm sure that there are people on the fence about doing things. Just a thought.

That why I bought a lift and all new tools I do alot of work myself. Lucky for me a good friend is a certified yam,kawi ,polaris tech so he helps me a bunch.I got the DVD for both bikes so we can do almost anything.
Hope to see you in April.Hope you have been riding I won't be easy this time. My RC8 is rocking.and the duke is running great.
Just don't know if I will ride it too much.The RC8 Is a gas.
My stuff 2011 RC8R black/orange forged wheels Rizoma,Rg,Sato racing,FMF apex 08 990 S/D blk/wht Full motobox with butterflies,FMF apex, rg tail tidy, carbon bits, 03 HD 100 year Heritage sil/blk Life is short.Live it with no regrets.

Duke of Wrath
Stunt rider

Postby Duke of Wrath » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 am

It is tough to find a good KTM tech.Eric's has a great rep.I heard that some of their techs moved on and one guy started his own thing.

Also Lance at Thousand Oaks KTM knows his stuff.He is their KTM guy.

I like the guys at KTM twins they know the bikes.If you just doing pipes and a remap T. O. KTM will do a great job.
They did my duke and I am very happy.

I feel your pain brother I had a dealer that was close and could not put the right map in my duke.They put the full race akra map when I needed the one for slip on's.They tried to tell me this was the only one.They were wrong. I had to take it to Thousand Oaks KTM to get it remapped. Been running great ever since.
My stuff 2011 RC8R black/orange forged wheels Rizoma,Rg,Sato racing,FMF apex 08 990 S/D blk/wht Full motobox with butterflies,FMF apex, rg tail tidy, carbon bits, 03 HD 100 year Heritage sil/blk Life is short.Live it with no regrets.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 am

You don't really need a dealer to load a new map. Just get/borrow a TuneECU cable and do it yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12511
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues