WARNING - CARBON TANK FAILURE

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
aP
Minimoto racer

WARNING - CARBON TANK FAILURE

Postby aP » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi guys,
This is just let you all know that after 2 years of using the carbon tank I have had to return to the plastic unit.
The tank began to leak around the filler area and I asked my dealer to replace the seals as this was the cause of the same issue about a year ago.
To everyone's surprise the mounting nuts had let go. The gel was soft and the nuts had risen up through the gelcoat. This then began a very close inspection of the tank all over and a seam line in the left hand underside was discovered. This was also soft and though this was not leaking yet it looked like it would not be long before a leak would happen in that area.
This is a genuine KTM product and NOT covered for replacement.
I am not impressed with this lack of action from KTM. There is obviously an issue and there should at least be a recall or at bear minimum a warning sent out to owners of these expensive and now dangerous product.

I have been a very strong supporter and promoter of the brand but this issue has certainly raised a few questions for me.
In the end I just wanted to try to tell anyone that has a KTM carbon tank to get it checked and don't sell you plastic one, oh and make sure your insurance covers fire....

Good riding guys.
aP

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Mon May 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, aP.

Not many CF tanks about but worth noting anyway
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

Freestyler
Master of the twisties

Postby Freestyler » Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm

ap , had you been yousing Benzine , or Alkahole based Fuels , As this will mess up the rezin in the carbon and make it go week and dilambernate the layers of the carbon fiyber ,

the uther thing is we have no idear what the petroleam compernys are mixing in with the low amishons fuels theys days ,

but iff they are mixing Alkahole in with the petrol then this will have mest your tank up !.
onley Ded fish go with the fow.

I Hate to advocate Drugs Alkcahol Violence or ,Insaneity, To eney one but they'ev allways warked for me .
Hunter S Thomson ,RIP.

paddle faster
I hear Banjos

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Tue May 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Freestyler wrote:but iff they are mixing Alkahole in with the petrol then this will have mest your tank up !.

Let's hope not - what a waste of alcohol ;)
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

cat

Postby cat » Mon May 18, 2009 3:54 pm

afaik there is ethyl alcohol / ethanol in all petrol, how much varies per country. It's caused some trouble in Brazil in the last year or two, apparently. (Because a very high proportion.)

Jody
Wheelie king

Postby Jody » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Whatever is effecting these tanks (if it is fuel) KTM should do something about it, unless they refuse to sell the tanks in countries they have problems in. Strikes me as 'not fit for purpose'.
Superduke.net King of Cadwell 2010 + 2011 !! (deposed)

I'm not the king any more but as you can see, I've still got it !

PampasDuke
Minimoto racer

Postby PampasDuke » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Well a litle bit late for me to se this NOW :cry: but I also have the Carbon tank on a -06.

It was approximate 3 weeks ago when I did go in to the garage and it did smell alot of gasoline, the floor was covered by fuel.:evil:

Started to check it over and noticed that the tank was leaking some where. After dismanteling the tank and fuel pump did i discover that it have started to leak between and around the fuel pump o-rings, and at a closer inspection of the tank did I notice that the mounting around the sealing area for the fuel pump was missing alot of material (epoxi)

I will try and take some photos of it and post it here.

One more thing, I had removed the tank and fuel pump this winter March 2009 and then everthing was OK

EDIT 13/08/2009
What i have verfied that ST1 a local fuel provider here in Finland have something minimum 5,75% of some type of alchol in the 95 RON.
But this 5,75% is a minimum level of other "fuel types" in regular 95 RON gasolin and this is restricted by the law :evil:

Maybe it is time to cehck up with the fuel companys how much and what they have put in the fuel
Last edited by PampasDuke on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PampasDuke
Minimoto racer

Postby PampasDuke » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 am

After alot of reading do I now know why the Carbon tank have started to leak. :shock:

This since the fuel companys blend in ethanol in the gasoline.
Need to check up which fuel companys do not blend in ethanol in the fuel.

Ethanol does disolve the epoxy that the tank is made of.

There are however epoxy resins on the market that are alcohol resistant, so that no the probelm, they have just used an epoxy (cheaper i belive) that is not etanol resistant. :evil:

To clean epoxy it is recomended vineager/white vineager which is made from ethanol.

I will try and put pressure on KTM since their Carbon tank is not fit for use.

I think that they cant se they did not know about ethanol mixing in fuel because it is a common knowledge these days and many years ago also.

Here is a intressing artical, with the same problem but in boat application and it is most likely the same thing for the SD Carbon tank.
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fueltest.asp

Info about epoxy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy

How many more are there who have the Carbon tank on the SD ????

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

So does KTM acknowledge this problem? I can see that the CF tank is not being sold anymore, so they probably know the tank is no-good... But are they willing to change tanks with me, a proper plastic-tank instead of the CF? Or can they give me the money back?

Tuber
Minimoto racer

Re: WARNING - CARBON TANK FAILURE

Postby Tuber » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Please Help!!!!!!!
Has this issue ever been rectified by KTM UK.
My CF tank that came on the bike has sprung a leak. Went into the garage this morning to find the fuel had leaked along the lower right hand edge of the tank. I'm not the first owner of the bike and this was fitted to it when I bought it.
I had left the bike stored over the winter with virtually no fuel in it. I went for a blast yesterday :D and parked up with a full tank (82 miles later). This morning when I opened the door the fumes nearly knocked me over.
I emptied the tank this morning and removed it from the bike. there appears to be no visible cracks or damage. I have to assume that the fuel is leaking through the carbon itself. It has in the process damaged the black finish on the oil tank where the fuel has streamed out removing the top coat of paint.
I know this is an old thread but has this problem been rectified through KTM yet! Glorious bloody weather and Im stuck with a bike that i cant use. :x
The bike is a 05 and based near Edinburgh.

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues