Loose Chain sprocket carrier CHECK YOURS

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
outlawal2
Two wheeled terror

Re: Loose Chain sprocket carrier CHECK YOURS

Postby outlawal2 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:06 pm

All chain driven motorcycles that use sprockets on the rear can have this issue... This is not a flaw..
ALWAYS threadlock the bolts on the rear sprocket!
"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence"

2bigalow
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2bigalow » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:16 am

ratemut wrote:Yes - it can get ugly. This happened to my new 2011 SDR this weekend.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ratemut/Mo ... 6715728498
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:shock: I meant :shock: :shock: :shock:

Checking mine now.
Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Mac C

Postby Mac C » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:23 am

Bailz wrote:Just want to reiterate to everyone to get this checked!

Happened to me over easter after getting a garage to fit my new sprocket they obviously didnt do them tight enought and didnt loctite them.

When i took the wheel off all the bolts on the carrier were loose so i thread locked them all and did them up.

Pictures show offending bolt and damage to my swingarm!

Hey Bailz,
Did you do replace the swingarm or weld up the damaged part? I just had the samething happen to my 07 SD the damage looks about the same as the pictures you posted of yours. I just wondering if the swingarm is weakened enough to be a problem down the road. I would hate for this fail while riding at speed.
Are you still riding with the ground down swingarm?

Thanks,

steeeve66
Two wheeled terror

Postby steeeve66 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:47 am

Mac C wrote:
Bailz wrote:Just want to reiterate to everyone to get this checked!

Happened to me over easter after getting a garage to fit my new sprocket they obviously didnt do them tight enought and didnt loctite them.

When i took the wheel off all the bolts on the carrier were loose so i thread locked them all and did them up.

Pictures show offending bolt and damage to my swingarm!

Hey Bailz,
Did you do replace the swingarm or weld up the damaged part? I just had the samething happen to my 07 SD the damage looks about the same as the pictures you posted of yours. I just wondering if the swingarm is weakened enough to be a problem down the road. I would hate for this fail while riding at speed.
Are you still riding with the ground down swingarm?

I'd say it depended how much damage there was to the swing arm; I had the same thing happen to me with around the same amount of damage as Bailz and it's been fine since.

S

Thanks,
Superduke 990. FZS Fazer1000. CBR600FS-1. CB500S.

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Galbi
Minimoto racer

Postby Galbi » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:49 am

Checked mine and one bolt was completely loose, and 3 where no at there torque settings, all had signs that loctite was used on them. I checked mine with14000 mile on the clock. Feel lucky, no damage to the swingarm.

Vertigo66 thanks for the warning.
2008 990 SD
1986 ATK 560

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:55 pm

ratemut wrote:Yes - it can get ugly. This happened to my new 2011 SDR this weekend.

Ouch! That really sucks. Warranty issue, I presume - ? Hope so!

Anyway, good suggestion. The more powerful the bike, the more important it is to check frequently. I've had rear sprockets loosen at least slightly on every bike over 100 HP I've owned. So, I'm in the habit of checking these regularly. I got especially paranoid about it when a friend's GSX-R sprocket let loose some time ago, and not only destroyed a lot a parts, but brought the bike down in the process.

Carleto
Minimoto racer

Postby Carleto » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi All

I have come across this problem on my 2007 SD, and it too had skimmed a small amount of the swing arm, I have just bought new sprocket, and the bolts (the 5 bolts cost about £20) they come with a lock tread on them already, but I doubled it up.

I recommend checking this every time, and you just need try and move the bolt with your fingers or a dab of paint when tighten, then you can see if there has been any movement.

I have seen the damage it can do, Chain, sprockets, wheel and swing arm could all be the shopping list if its left to cause full damage, as well as the possibly of throwing you of the bike.... :(

SugarMonkey
Minimoto racer

Postby SugarMonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 pm

WOW what a mess :shock: :shock: Speaking to my local KTM dealer and they say its a common problem with the sprocket bolt :shock: :roll:
They told me this when I got a new sprocket for the rear.
When I die bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass

indy84
Stunt rider

Postby indy84 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 am

tem homo enoggra put a new front sprocket on and let me ride home... noise on the ride... got home and the nut was loose held on by the lock tab... they did the tab up on a loose nut and loose sprocket...

last time i take my bike anywhere near them
06 superDuke
90 RM 250
56 Norton dominator
brisbane, OZ

loony888
Stunt rider

Postby loony888 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:58 am

indy84 wrote:tem homo enoggra put a new front sprocket on and let me ride home... noise on the ride... got home and the nut was loose held on by the lock tab... they did the tab up on a loose nut and loose sprocket...

last time i take my bike anywhere near them

hmmmm, been around race bikes and engines all your life, your dad has a shop and not only can you not change a front sprocket but you take it to team moto??

riiiight......... :roll:

can't disagree with your sentiments about moto though, i wouldn't buy a visor from them!
I was going how fast officer?

timboo
Two wheeled terror

Postby timboo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am

No time like the present I done 10k on mine hmmm surprised I have a swing arm left lol
1998 - 01 Pug s fight 50 vreg
2001 - 02 derby 50 wreg
2004 - 06 Yam r6 03 carbon + ohlins and akra
2009 - 10 yam r6 07 carbon + ohlins and akra
2011 - 12 Yamaha Xt660 07 Mtc cans
2012 - ktm superduke 05

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:49 pm

outlawal2 wrote:All chain driven motorcycles that use sprockets on the rear can have this issue... This is not a flaw..

Agreed, and I've had nuts, studs, whatever loosen on many bikes. I do check these regularly.

Seen a lot of catastrophic failures from sprockets coming loose - and its never pretty.

ALWAYS threadlock the bolts on the rear sprocket!

Sorry, but the rampant suggested use of thread locker makes me laugh sometimes. Yes, its called out (by KTM) to be applied to the SD's "Jerk Damper Bolts".

While threadlocker is suitable for a lot of vibration susceptible applications, its not a product to be applied universally to all bike's sprocket nuts. Most conventionally (Japanese) mounted rear sprockets are a bolt/nut arrangement. And nearly all of these (modern) use a locknut - NOT with threadlocker.

Generally, if its real peace of mind you want, safety wire 'em. That's right, go racer style. Now, how to go about that on these SuperDuke bits ... perhaps some of our more committed racers can shed some light on that.

RhinosoRoss
Two wheeled terror

Postby RhinosoRoss » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:25 am

I've just sold my SD and now that telling people how bad the servicing centres were won't harm me, I came here to report this particular issue only to find it was the top thread!

Here's what I wrote to KTM House (I got no reply):

KTM House
Ward road
Brackley
Northamptonshire
NN13 7LE
11 June 2010

Dear Sir,

I recently wrote after a bad experience with Premier Bikes in Didcot who serviced my 2007 KTM Superduke and charged me twice what I was quoted (when I had been unemployed for over a year and wanted to keep things cheap) after having the bike for months. One of the issues I’d told them I was worried about was that the bike was clicking when I reversed it into the garage, yet I could see none of the usual symptoms (Scott-oiler catching on sprocket etc.); they found nothing.

Getting a job has literally saved my life. I’ve been able to afford the extra £200 that Premier Bikes took from me, and one of my new colleagues is a craftsman-type mechanic. One lunch-time he was looking over my bike in the car-park and noticed shiny bits on my rear sprocket.
It turns out that three of the five bolts holding the rear sprocket on were loose!!!

We found tools to tighten them as well as possible to get me home, then got a local bike shop to take the wheel off and do it properly.
It appears that the bolts had no thread-lock on them.

Since this could easily have resulted in a fatality, and may affect other bikes, I need to report this to you and let you know.
The bike was bought new (by me) in 2007

You can see that there are several threads showing on the worst one and that three screws were loose.
Do something every day that scares you!

SuperDooper
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDooper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 am

I had one go AWOL and as it was under warranty at the time, I let my dealer replace at their time and expense :shock:
Super Duke
Better than sex, (well at my house)

Previous

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues