Loose Chain sprocket carrier CHECK YOURS

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
vertigo66
Two wheeled terror

Loose Chain sprocket carrier CHECK YOURS

Postby vertigo66 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:37 am

some of the guys on uk forum have noticed the rear Chain sprocket carrier has worked loose. i checked mine to find the same, LOOSE. :evil: :evil: :evil: it seams to be on both sm950 and SD990, i strongly advise you to check yours. Is this another KTM flaw or just a few one offs????

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 pm

when you say carrier what are you referring to? the whole assembly that fits into the cush drive? or the sprocket mounted to the carrier?

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:47 pm

and what do you mean by worked loose. the carrier cant go anywhere it is held captive by the cush drive and axle.

vertigo66
Two wheeled terror

Postby vertigo66 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 pm

5 bolts that hold the sprocket on the carrier. large allen key type inside the rear wheel. they are held in place by 5 flat nuts on the outside of the sprocket I think they are called jerk damper nuts.

ShadeTheChangingMan
Race ace

Postby ShadeTheChangingMan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:37 pm

THREADLOCK THOSE BASTARDS! (They should already be anyway)
Black is not a colour; it's a Shade™

Ever the underdog

lobster
Wheelie king

Postby lobster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:40 am

I think I might have this, but being as technically minded as a garden slug, I have no idea what I'm looking at. How do I know if something's wrong? What does it do or not do?
If you can't join em, beat em!

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:16 pm

lobster wrote:I think I might have this, but being as technically minded as a garden slug, I have no idea what I'm looking at. How do I know if something's wrong? What does it do or not do?

its what the rear sprocket is mounted to. if you look at your rear wheel, and the sprocket you will see the back of the bolts coming through the sprocket, actually they are the retainers for the bolts. the actual bolt heads are on the inside of the wheel, you can get to them from the disc brake side of the wheel through the openings cast into the wheel. i used an 8mm allen socket a universal and a 6" extension. do check them, 2 of mine were loose, one really loose!

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Re: Loose Chain sprocket carrier CHECK YOURS

Postby Stratkat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:22 pm

vertigo66 wrote:some of the guys on uk forum have noticed the rear Chain sprocket carrier has worked loose. i checked mine to find the same, LOOSE. :evil: :evil: :evil: it seams to be on both sm950 and SD990, i strongly advise you to check yours. Is this another KTM flaw or just a few one offs????

thanks for passing that info dude, i would never have thought of checking those, and i just had my rear wheel off, i inspected the cush inserts and cleaned everything never thought about the sprocket! what a stupid thing to neglect!

a friend of mine has an adventure and had the counter shaft sprocket exposed to clean that area, he said the nut holding the sprocket so loose that the only thing holding it on was the lock washer, i have to check that now too.

what a great site this is!!

lobster
Wheelie king

Postby lobster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Stratkat wrote:
lobster wrote:I think I might have this, but being as technically minded as a garden slug, I have no idea what I'm looking at. How do I know if something's wrong? What does it do or not do?

its what the rear sprocket is mounted to. if you look at your rear wheel, and the sprocket you will see the back of the bolts coming through the sprocket, actually they are the retainers for the bolts. the actual bolt heads are on the inside of the wheel, you can get to them from the disc brake side of the wheel through the openings cast into the wheel. i used an 8mm allen socket a universal and a 6" extension. do check them, 2 of mine were loose, one really loose!

Thanks for that buddy. I think even I can manage to check that!
If you can't join em, beat em!

MRK-01
Two wheeled terror

Postby MRK-01 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:30 am

I would check on this with urgency..!! I found one that was loose enough to stop the wheel moving..!!
I was gettin it outta the shed and felt like the rear brake was locking up, then to find one of these had come so loose it was slowly grinding away at my swingarm..!! If it worked its way further I would not like to know the result of a rear wheel locking up at over 100kmh..!!

So yes, check on them, use locktite on em. I found the best way to check this was to remove the rear wheel, take the rear procket from the rim and check all the bolts.

Lucky i got it in time thats all i can say..!! PHEW..!
MRK-01 ...........
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
:-)

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 am

MRK-01 wrote:I would check on this with urgency..!! I found one that was loose enough to stop the wheel moving..!!
I was gettin it outta the shed and felt like the rear brake was locking up, then to find one of these had come so loose it was slowly grinding away at my swingarm..!! If it worked its way further I would not like to know the result of a rear wheel locking up at over 100kmh..!!

So yes, check on them, use locktite on em. I found the best way to check this was to remove the rear wheel, take the rear procket from the rim and check all the bolts.

Lucky i got it in time thats all i can say..!! PHEW..!

you dont have to remove the rear wheel, you can access them thru the holes cast into the wheel from the disc brake side.

kuerbis
Two wheeled terror

Postby kuerbis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 am

A few months ago I saw what looked like glitter on my rear wheel ( you guessed it ) One of the sprocket bolts had come loose and was machining the swingarm. Sorry for not posting up then ( I thought it was just my bike not a common problem )

Kuerbis

Resmas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Resmas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 am

hi guys,
this seems like some serious problem, can anyone pls confirm the mileage +/- the bikes had at the moment when you noticed the loose bolts?

thks
luis
SD rules...

kuerbis
Two wheeled terror

Postby kuerbis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:45 am

.. Three of mine were loose at 4k US miles ( 6 437.376 Kilometers ) one loose enough to rub the swing arm. Lock-tite is your friend.

Kuerbis

( YOUR NAME HERE !! This space for hire. Please e-mail me for more information . )

Resmas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Resmas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:49 am

kuerbis wrote:.. Three of mine were loose at 4k US miles ( 6 437.376 Kilometers ) one loose enough to rub the swing arm. Lock-tite is your friend.

Kuerbis

( YOUR NAME HERE !! This space for hire. Please e-mail me for more information . )

thks man, i will check those right away and advise some buddys of mine too, believe around here this was never heard of!
SD rules...

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Thu May 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Common problem. Happened to me. Wasn't impressed.
DUTCH

Schnauzer
Trackday hero

Postby Schnauzer » Thu May 06, 2010 4:41 pm

One worked loose on my SD, gouged a good mark on the rear swing arm around 4k miles.

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Fri May 07, 2010 8:41 am

nothing as yet on my 7500 mile SD, but i'll be checking it soon. Didn't notice anything untoward when I had the bike in pieces (including powdercoating wheels so had the sprocket carrier off the wheel) over winter though
bbbbrrrrrmmmmmm......brrrmmmmmm.....nnnyyyyymmmmmmmmm

derbyduke
Two wheeled terror

Postby derbyduke » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 am

when you say check from the disc side do you mean through the holes in the back wheel as when i feel around in there i can feel allen heads?

sorry to sound so novice but actually never thought of checking these

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 pm

derbyduke wrote:when you say check from the disc side do you mean through the holes in the back wheel as when i feel around in there i can feel allen heads?

sorry to sound so novice but actually never thought of checking these

The best way to be certain is to pop the wheel off and pull out the sprocket carrier then check the bolts.
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

MRK-01
Two wheeled terror

Postby MRK-01 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 am

yeah, if you get a T bar allen key tool, fit trough from the disk side into the allen bolts on the inside of the rim. Thats how you can get to them without taking the wheel off.

Otherwise when you get the rear wheel off, take out the rear sprocket from the hub (some jiggling may be required to loosen) and check they are all tight.

Or get a stealer or your mechanic to check it.

I found one of mine that loose the nut end (which runs flush on the outside of the sprocket) that it was rubbing against the swingarm..!!
MRK-01 ...........
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
:-)

Gnat's whisker
Minimoto racer

Postby Gnat's whisker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 am

Just joined the forum hence the late post but I had this problem in '08 too. Happened to notice one of these fasteners was only hand tight while giving it the once over, then found none were very tight. Not happened since despite regular checking.

Bailz
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bailz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:27 am

Just want to reiterate to everyone to get this checked!

Happened to me over easter after getting a garage to fit my new sprocket they obviously didnt do them tight enought and didnt loctite them.

When i took the wheel off all the bolts on the carrier were loose so i thread locked them all and did them up.

Pictures show offending bolt and damage to my swingarm!
Attachments
IMG_0917.JPG
Damage to Swinger
IMG_0917.JPG (63.13 KiB) Viewed 13981 times
IMG_0914.JPG
Offending nut
IMG_0914.JPG (77.37 KiB) Viewed 13981 times

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:44 am

Bailz wrote:Just want to reiterate to everyone to get this checked!

Happened to me over easter after getting a garage to fit my new sprocket they obviously didnt do them tight enought and didnt loctite them.

When i took the wheel off all the bolts on the carrier were loose so i thread locked them all and did them up.

Pictures show offending bolt and damage to my swingarm!

Will the garage pay for the damage?
DUTCH

ratemut
Stunt rider

Postby ratemut » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Yes - it can get ugly. This happened to my new 2011 SDR this weekend.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ratemut/Mo ... 6715728498
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Next

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues