Any Yamaha XT500 wiring gurus here

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
lc4
Stunt rider

Any Yamaha XT500 wiring gurus here

Postby lc4 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am

Converting my XT500 project to 12v, fitted a 12v Reg / Rec finding that I lose spark if I ground the Reg / Rec.
Magneto is a simple design with 2 coils, one for ignition and other is a shared charging / lighting coil, all coils use a common engine ground.
Bike is a early series with points ignition.

lc4
Stunt rider

Re: Any Yamaha XT500 wiring gurus here

Postby lc4 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 am

Sussed it, last thing I would have expected but sorted.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 am

It would be nice for those of us that bothered to read your post to know how you fixed it and not just that you fixed it.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 am

Yamaha use a steel band behind the coil plate to hold the wires in place. Mine had the lighting and ignition wires crossed over so with 40 years of heat and pressure the insulation flattened out enough that they started to interact with each other.
Once the lighting coil is grounded out via the regulator it also grounded the ignition coil.
Not a easy one to find :evil:

WHO?
Minimoto racer

Postby WHO? » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am

well done mate, is definitely something I'd have never found
any day above ground's a good day so keep smiling!!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am

thanks for letting us know - old bikes sure can throw some problems and most times they are a challenge to find. I remember the xt500 well as we used to thrash the sh1t out of them and they just continued to keep going. Big single thumpers sure can be a handful in the bush but that was half the fun.
I am patiently waiting for an old mate to sell me his 1943 iron head that has been in his barn for over 30 years - I imagine when I start working on that it will throw up some curly problems. I guess thats half the fun.
Good job on the xt and enjoy the ride.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Return to General banter