Life Choices

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
User avatar
AGRO!
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Australia Northern NSW

Re: Life Choices

Postby AGRO! » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 am

RichUK wrote:Yeh, seen the ION one before too... so unfair to be taken out by someone else's mistake, even a fellow bikers mistake.

The one with the van driver, I dunno. He could have been messing with his phone, or adjusting his radio. I think the sun was in his eyes so he just didn't see the bike.

Question is what should we do to avoid these situations.
Should we pulse the flash button to alert drivers to our presence as we approach?
Problem is, here in the UK, flashing another motorists does mean "I am here" but it is generally used as and taken to mean that you are letting them go first... :shock:

Maybe if you flash a regular pattern it would help as that is what the police do. I think I could rig up a flasher circuit that will flash both the hi & low beam together, or alternately... I wonder if that would help, or just get you in trouble for impersonating the coppers.. :mrgreen:

I don't really think there is much that can be done unless the driver is a rider also.
As you know riders always look out for bikes when driving that's just how it is.

User avatar
fatbob
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Life Choices

Postby fatbob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:24 pm

Never watch the old biker crash vids , theres no point , also been riding for many decades.
Just to ask a question to the OP.
Did you say the sales person that suggested you quit riding ASAP worked in the spacca scooter shop ???? :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Sarasota_Steve
moderator
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL, USA

Re: Life Choices

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

fatbob wrote:Did you say the sales person that suggested you quit riding ASAP worked in the spacca scooter shop ???? :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:


Not sure what the spacca scooter shop is, but this guy is a sales person at the Mobility Scooter Store. Wheelchairs and motorized scooters for people with disabilities. In this case my mother in law, who had her right foot amputated and uses a prosthesis, wheelchair and mobility scooter.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

User avatar
Aphex
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Life Choices

Postby Aphex » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:
fatbob wrote:Did you say the sales person that suggested you quit riding ASAP worked in the spacca scooter shop ???? :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:


Not sure what the spacca scooter shop is, but this guy is a sales person at the Mobility Scooter Store. Wheelchairs and motorized scooters for people with disabilities. In this case my mother in law, who had her right foot amputated and uses a prosthesis, wheelchair and mobility scooter.



Has she ever threatened to hit you with her prosthesis? Or is she not that comfortable with it yet?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

User avatar
AGRO!
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 am
Location: Australia Northern NSW

Re: Life Choices

Postby AGRO! » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 am

Aphex wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:
fatbob wrote:Did you say the sales person that suggested you quit riding ASAP worked in the spacca scooter shop ???? :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:


Not sure what the spacca scooter shop is, but this guy is a sales person at the Mobility Scooter Store. Wheelchairs and motorized scooters for people with disabilities. In this case my mother in law, who had her right foot amputated and uses a prosthesis, wheelchair and mobility scooter.



Has she ever threatened to hit you with her prosthesis? Or is she not that comfortable with it yet?

Would make it easier to kick his ass :lol:

Black Out
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: Raleigh NC

Re: Life Choices

Postby Black Out » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:36 am

Interesting discussion. And why is it that there’s always some jack ass that approaches a group of riders and tells us about how their brother lost his leg and his wife killed on one of them things. “Well you guys have a good ride.” Thanks dick.
My most awful wreck occurred the summer of 2011. I couldn’t make a decreasing radius left hander and struck a metal guard rail. Broke 3 ribs L2 vertebrae coccyx tailbone. Tore a hole in my left knee as I leaned all the way over. But the worst was the huge gash torn into the area riiight next to my asshole! Another inch over and I’d have a colostomy bag.
So I was hospitalized 8 days. Had to wear a back brace for 12 weeks but I took it off after 8 weeks coz I wanted to go to the Speed Triple rally in the Rockies which was in October of that year.
All of my wrecks have been my own fault. If I’d been at the mercy of another motorist I might reconsider riding. But as it is it’s in my blood.
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

User avatar
MrK
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Life Choices

Postby MrK » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Interesting topic. Recently I joined the happy parenting club so it concerns me a little as well. Both of us are riders, my wife and I. This is how we met. Some weekends we used to ride out together, sometimes I went with my friends, sometimes my wife went with her friends for "girls ride out". Nevertheless - our bikes are kept in garage since our son birthday. For obvious reasons for my wife, but when due date was approaching I was having some thoughts regarding riding a bike and expose myself to "extra risk" involved. I just had some flashback - all near misses in the past few years - lucky me I was never involved in bad accident. I just had one many years ago riding SP-1, no third party involved, when I low side bike through the corner as front tyre lost a grip. Few track day crashes, but I do not consider those. I was thinking what would happen if I badly injure myself? I'm running my own company, we are doing well, but if something happen to me - we are f****d. It is dilemma, as we both love riding bikes, but I don't want to ride it and all the time think what could potentially happen. Our kiddo is with us over five months now and I started to recover from all those disturbing thoughts. Next year (we are now only sunny weather riders ;) no bike commuting anymore) we definitely go out sometimes, whenever possible - for some ride out. But I do understand now why people stepping back and I will not judge anymore. I had, we had a good time, now this will be partially sacrifice for something else, but will I resign completely? I don't think so. It is still far away, but I already started to look for a different bike to get my son out on sunny day when he grow up enough to jump at the back. And I can't wait for that :)

User avatar
PBRnr
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:05 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Life Choices

Postby PBRnr » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 am

MrK wrote:Interesting topic. Recently I joined the happy parenting club so it concerns me a little as well. Both of us are riders, my wife and I. This is how we met. Some weekends we used to ride out together, sometimes I went with my friends, sometimes my wife went with her friends for "girls ride out". Nevertheless - our bikes are kept in garage since our son birthday. For obvious reasons for my wife, but when due date was approaching I was having some thoughts regarding riding a bike and expose myself to "extra risk" involved. I just had some flashback - all near misses in the past few years - lucky me I was never involved in bad accident. I just had one many years ago riding SP-1, no third party involved, when I low side bike through the corner as front tyre lost a grip. Few track day crashes, but I do not consider those. I was thinking what would happen if I badly injure myself? I'm running my own company, we are doing well, but if something happen to me - we are f****d. It is dilemma, as we both love riding bikes, but I don't want to ride it and all the time think what could potentially happen. Our kiddo is with us over five months now and I started to recover from all those disturbing thoughts. Next year (we are now only sunny weather riders ;) no bike commuting anymore) we definitely go out sometimes, whenever possible - for some ride out. But I do understand now why people stepping back and I will not judge anymore. I had, we had a good time, now this will be partially sacrifice for something else, but will I resign completely? I don't think so. It is still far away, but I already started to look for a different bike to get my son out on sunny day when he grow up enough to jump at the back. And I can't wait for that :)


Not to be grim, but everybody dies and the vast majority of deaths might be considered "too soon" if not by the person experiencing it then certainly for most loved ones. I think the greatest tragedy of "untimely" death are lingering regrets...When most people's wedding vows reference eternity/forever/etc etc but maybe become a fuzzy memory after the 1st anniversary, IMO good parents/spouses should be keenly aware just how limited these "best" times can be and truly are.

Back to mortality, my advice for all is not to retire before having let your family members feel and know just how deeply they mean to you...a daily phenomenon...all the big and small things

I think if riders choose to stop/change riding habits because of other priorities, that's the best decision that can be made. Plain and simple. For those who make that decision, they should do so without regret.

Conversely, dabbling in the "danger zone" by whatever definition might be what gives the other guy their peace. I can't think of anything sad about dying doing the thing you love...
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

User avatar
jmann
moderator
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:28 am
Location: Sunny Adelaide, Australia

Re: Life Choices

Postby jmann » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:02 am

PBRnr wrote: I can't think of anything sad about dying doing the thing you love...


Comrade: I was recently at a race meeting and a very elderly doyen of sidecar racing was on the line about to start the race named in his honour. As he was handed the start flag he went limp and ultimately died of a stroke. How good was that? I believe it's called dying with ones boots on...

Previous

Return to General banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests