Bike race series.

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
bic_bicknell

Bike race series.

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:54 pm

When I was a kid I was into the TT, world championships, F1 titles and the Transatlantic Trophy, Barry Sheene, Kenny Roberts etc.
Then it was full-on Grand Prix with Freddie Spencer, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, and all.
Then I was into World Superbikes and Fred Merkel and all those American greats as well as Carl Foggerty etc.
Then the era of slightly mediocre. :?
Then back into Moto GP with Doohan, Rossi, and that dick-head Australian, Stoner.
Then I wanted to go back to British Superbikes and they delivered with Shane Byrne, Haslam etc.
Love the current Moto GP battles. Love the current TT battles. Love the current British Superbike battles.

But what has happened to World Superbikes?

Just watched the penultimate round of the series and seen Jonathan Rea win for the second year running. What an uninspiring, soul-less series this has become. Rea is a dull, uncharismatic guy, spouting a load of pre-learned shit about his sponsors and his achievements (like listening to brain-dead X factor contestant). He might be a fast rider on the fastest bike but, God, he's a boring shite to listen to.

I think it's a sad inditement of modern motorsport that the inevitability of matching the type of, admittedly talented, but unimaginative and predictable people, with the best technology, backed by the most mercenary companies wanting to maximise their profits, ends up with a starting grid of overpaid, vanilla, uninspiring people like the current world champion.

When I was a kid we'd paint our bikes in the colours of our heroes and idolise their very being. No chance for Rea. He's almost invisible.

World Superbikes...get your act together!
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Bike race series.

Postby No. 47 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Dominated by Brits though.......
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Have you actually stopped and looked at how Chaz Davies rides - 7 of the last 8 races won by a drifting ducati.......Bic - c'mon its not as bad as you make out...... I do however accept that Rea is a bit straight....
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:03 pm

Aye, all credit to both Shakey and Chaz, and their Panigales.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Is uncharismatic a word ? The Kawasakis have finally received some competition from Ducati in the hands of Chaz Davies. The filming company could give me the whole race with their lenses pointed only at Chaz and I would tune in every time. There are a few television shows that I watch enjoying the personalities of the people involved but they are educational or informative and not entertainment in nature. Racing for me is entertainment and the entertainment is solely about watching the bikes and racers perform spectacle on two wheels. What they do or say off the track is the least of my concern. Rea and Sykes have reportedly been tough on each other in the paddock but when Rea slowed to let his team mate pass and take second place in the championship over Davies, without team orders, unselfish comes to mind but then another word could be used, altruistic. Valencia and then I'll go into withdrawal symptoms till March. Thank Tivo for the DVR :lol:
I'm BLUE

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:14 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:When I was a kid I was into the TT, world championships, F1 titles and the Transatlantic Trophy, Barry Sheene, Kenny Roberts etc.
Then it was full-on Grand Prix with Freddie Spencer, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, and all.
Then I was into World Superbikes and Fred Merkel and all those American greats as well as Carl Foggerty etc.
Then the era of slightly mediocre. :?
Then back into Moto GP with Doohan, Rossi, and that dick-head Australian, Stoner.
Then I wanted to go back to British Superbikes and they delivered with Shane Byrne, Haslam etc.
Love the current Moto GP battles. Love the current TT battles. Love the current British Superbike battles.

But what has happened to World Superbikes?

Just watched the penultimate round of the series and seen Jonathan Rea win for the second year running. What an uninspiring, soul-less series this has become. Rea is a dull, uncharismatic guy, spouting a load of pre-learned shit about his sponsors and his achievements (like listening to brain-dead X factor contestant). He might be a fast rider on the fastest bike but, God, he's a boring shite to listen to.

I think it's a sad inditement of modern motorsport that the inevitability of matching the type of, admittedly talented, but unimaginative and predictable people, with the best technology, backed by the most mercenary companies wanting to maximise their profits, ends up with a starting grid of overpaid, vanilla, uninspiring people like the current world champion.

When I was a kid we'd paint our bikes in the colours of our heroes and idolise their very being. No chance for Rea. He's almost invisible.

World Superbikes...get your act together!

I think the same.... but about Jorge Lorenzo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kawasaki has got the best bike and the best riders.... only Davies can fight against them.... so races are boring.

Hope next year Honda with de new fireblade, Aprilia having again a factory bike, Yamaha and BMW take a step fordward.

What do you think about Jordi Torres? Maybe he isn't the fastest rider but he is the most funny & charismatic guy of the championship :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ride it like you stole it!!!

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Somewhat true on what Bic says. I have enjoyed watching the WSBK this yr & previous yrs. JR is a excellent rider. Perhaps the best? It sure made a big difference when he started riding the ZX10.
Boring he may be after the race. He can be a very aggressive rider. He took a lot of chances in a few races I watched. Missed downshifts had him off the track numerous times.(personally I was hoping he would fall) To bad Chaz had a few mishaps this yr. He's a exciting rider to watch.

What do you suggest the WSBK do Bic?
PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
way too many to mention

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:21 pm

I have to admit to similar feelings of disinterest in the WSB Championship, despite it being dominated by a bunch of top British riders (Rea, Sykes, Davies, Camier, Lowes). I think that the only race I watched all year was an early-season round in Thailand and I was so uninspired that I stopped watching before the end of the recording and deleted the series link from the Tivo box. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel that the series has no relevance to me at all (I don't think it's connected to me having sold a pair of ZX-10s and replaced them with 990SDs - I lost interest in it years ago) Unfortunately it would appear that the paying public feel the same way, with diminishing crowds virtually everywhere.

For me, MotoGP (all classes) is where it's at now and has been that way for a number of years. I still enjoy watching BSB, but I feel that it would benefit from some real competition against Paul Bird's wallet - the most enjoyable seasons recently were 2013 (Alex Lowes winning) and 2015 (Josh Brookes), proving that Birdy's cavernously deep pockets aren't sufficient to win it every year. I don't mean to diss the efforts of Shane Byrne and the team members, as they've obviously worked very hard this year with a totally new bike, but how many other teams could afford to have a Ducati Corse Factory Technician in the garage every week? One of the most enjoyable sights in BSB is Bird's face after they've been beaten, looking like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle :lol:
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:26 pm

As Scotty says. That's how I feel too, WSB just seems not relevant to me and I'm not that interested anymore. I was, as usual, drunk when I wrote the first post so wasn't really having a personal go at Rea and the other Brit riders, just trying to express my frustration at the lack of excitement I felt after sitting for an hour watching the race that evening. I was just bored watching and then Rea's uninspiring post-race interview just pushed me over the edge.

I still remember the enthusiasm and love I had for WSB back in the Fogarty days and going to Brands Hatch when he did the double that year. The battles between Whitham, Frankie Chili, Ben Bostrom, Aaron Slight, Gobert, Corser, Baylis etc. during those days was great fun and they were all really different characters. It was the golden decade of Superbike racing and it was true that you could more or less go out and buy the same bikes in the showroom. I think that now the bikes are more like GP prototypes and therefor the link between road machines is less tangible. And the riders have all become stereotypical of the type of focussed, determined, single-minded professionals that you need to be to compete at that level.

I don't know what special factors it takes to make someone likeable. It's not necessarily being able to speak fluently or well, look at Joes Dunlop or Nori Haga, neither could talk much but were great personalities. I really, really want to like Leon Haslam because of his talent and because I was a fan of his dad, but he too is a bit boring and bland. When you're trying to run a race series that has mass appeal so that it's more than just the petrol head fans that watch you have to think about personalities and characters and something else other than just the race and riding skills. It's meant to be a total experience and that's the only way I can get my previous girlfriends and now Amy to watch, they don't care about riding, they want to support a real person that they can identify with! No wonder the attendance at race meetings is in decline.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Yes we need personalities so the girls will be interested in race craft.
I'm BLUE

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:52 pm

I do think WSB has become a tad boring, but Chaz Davies was at one on the Ducati and at least Laverty will be back next year on a factory Aprillia. I remember when Laverty was in it 2 or 3 years ago and managed to over take Melandri on the outside on the very last corner of the last race of that year. I still rate that manoeuvre as one of the finest I've ever seen. And of course Melandri will be Chaz's team mate next year, so it can only get better.... I hope.

ilmothefinn
Minimoto racer

Postby ilmothefinn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 am

Sure would like to hear things like that: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/1 ... eaponized/

Anyhow, not easy to find results...: http://95.110.194.229/live/archiviopdf/ ... ifiche.pdf

KTM should do a little more drumming? Not that I am concerned but if it goes well why not tell everybody...
Each day I try to live for me.

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:56 pm

ilmothefinn wrote:Sure would like to hear things like that: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/1 ... eaponized/

Anyhow, not easy to find results...: http://95.110.194.229/live/archiviopdf/ ... ifiche.pdf

KTM should do a little more drumming? Not that I am concerned but if it goes well why not tell everybody...

Interesting video. Man the KTM parts are pricey. It would be amusing to see a 1290 with race plastics & upgrades on the track against the big boys.KTM should employ Casey Stoner(the whinner) or Troy Bayliss. That would liven things up. :-)
PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
PAST
way too many to mention

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:21 am

Watched Rae go round Phillip Island , he may look clinical (boring) but no one has the goods to beat him.
Can`t blame Rae the other have to step up.

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:20 pm

same again in Thailand.... Rea just ran away in race one..... reversal of the grid should make race 2 interesting though
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:41 pm

^^^Gin, that was a spoiler. Some ppl watch both races on Sunday.
PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
PAST
way too many to mention

The Gin Reaper

Postby The Gin Reaper » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Oops sorry! Wasn't thinking.....

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:03 pm

No Probs. That's what I would have guessed. Hopefully not the same tomorrow.
PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
PAST
way too many to mention

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:50 pm

One thing that is missing In my opinion is that lack of wild cards at the WSB rounds. Hislop, Whitam et al really spiced up the races in the 90's. Those wild cards genuinely had a chance of a podium or even a win. That's all gone. And as for the ridiculous idea of a race on Saturday then the second on the Sunday is just plain stupid.
Rant over.
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:27 pm

CEREC1 wrote:One thing that is missing In my opinion is that lack of wild cards at the WSB rounds. Hislop, Whitam et al really spiced up the races in the 90's. Those wild cards genuinely had a chance of a podium or even a win. That's all gone. And as for the ridiculous idea of a race on Saturday then the second on the Sunday is just plain stupid.
Rant over.

Totally agree with that stupid idea of a race on Saturday then another on Sunday. What if you were planning to go and watch! If you had traveled a distance to see a race, you wouldn't do it all over again the next day. They certainly did not think it through about putting bums on seats. Roll on MotoGP in a couple of weeks :D

Ducati Pete
Race ace

Location: On the banks of the River Thames with Ratty and Mole.

Postby Ducati Pete » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm

I know what you mean Bic.

One thing I will say though, If the current riders gave interviews like the riders of the 90's there would be uproar on occasions from the lefty pc bunch.

Athletes in general are so scared of occurring the anger of fat tree hugging lesbians that they often opt to play safe. They don't want to be dropped by their sponsors.

Example, a top ranked male tennis player had the audacity to suggest that female players didn't earn as much as the men because they didn't do the same job.

Well that's a fact - they play best of 3 sets as opposed to best of 5.

Within days he apologised - I'm sure his sponsors had a word in his ear.
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

Ducati Pete
Race ace

Location: On the banks of the River Thames with Ratty and Mole.

Postby Ducati Pete » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:16 am

Well things have not been so bland and scripted this morning!

Bic, did you spike their breakfast?
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 am

Any one got a link?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am

You can download modbro app for your cellphone and search british eurosport 2 channel.

The resolution is very poor but is the only way i know to see stk and bsb races live today.

Also is valid to see motoamerica races at being usa channel
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Hotbrakes
Stunt rider

Postby Hotbrakes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:38 pm

I wonder how much effect television networks have had on race series lately. It used to be you could watch all forms of motorcycle racing on basic channels. Then Nascar and NFL took over with what seems like 24/7 coverage and locked up the basic cable channels.

So to watch these series I have to pay somewhere near $100 a month for access to the specialty channel package to watch a couple hours of racing a month, a few months out of the year. So I said no, subscribed to Motogp for an annual price close to the monthly ultimate cable package and can watch cool shit and additional programs on GP all the time, anywhere.

I used to love watching WSBK and AMA, but access has become cost prohibitive. Their tactics surely won't attract many new fans or sponsors either.
SDVTRTLRRC51SDRRVTSVSMT

Return to General banter