Winter grime

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
bic_bicknell

Winter grime

Postby bic_bicknell » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Just completed about 400miles over the last few days on winter ~ UK motorways and A roads. First leg was to London setting off at 5am in the dark on Friday - 135 miles in freezing fog in some of the coldest, bad visibility roads I've ever ridden on. Soon glad I have some great Keis heated jacket and gloves, don't know how I did those journeys for the last thirty years without them. Fog was so thick you could only see about 30 feet ahead and it froze on your arms and knees into sheet ice which you had to smash off every so often.

To think that this usually looks like a load of slick, precision made parts well maintained and glistening with the sheen of oil and obsession. :)
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Winter grime

Postby No. 47 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:17 pm

http://allyearbiker.co.uk - now a little more expensive but still great value.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 pm

I couldn't stand that much crap on my bike salt and crud!
You need to move to Australia :lol:

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 pm

AGRO! wrote:I couldn't stand that much crap on my bike salt and crud!
You need to move to Australia :lol:

or sunny FL :lol:
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 pm

Yuck when I look at the bike mess it tells me enough about the conditions that words are not necessary . You know that picture is worth a thousand words thing? Well the saving grace to this is that if you, like me, get some meditative joy from detailing a bike back to shiny and pretty your in for a marathon session. I do not choose to travel in such conditions I am what's known as a hobby rider. Once the road is put into the chore category I'll sit in cage comfort sipping latte's and blasting Chingon while recognizing that my wipers are in perfect cadence with the beat. Stay where you are and enjoy the mental therapy. Hell my bike is covered in the garage to keep the sawdust off.
I'm BLUE

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:51 am

That salt eats everything and will put a fur on parts. I don't ride in the shitty conditions of winter and if hypothetically I could only ride, I would use a winter hack. Cars can use winter tyres as they say grip is very compromised below 7 degrees and having broken more bones than I would have liked, I'm not getting any younger.
I will wait until March where it will be getting a tad warmer and drier with added length in daylight.

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:32 am

bic_bicknell wrote:Just completed about 400miles over the last few days on winter ~ UK motorways and A roads. First leg was to London setting off at 5am in the dark on Friday - 135 miles in freezing fog in some of the coldest, bad visibility roads I've ever ridden on. Soon glad I have some great Keis heated jacket and gloves, don't know how I did those journeys for the last thirty years without them. Fog was so thick you could only see about 30 feet ahead and it froze on your arms and knees into sheet ice which you had to smash off every so often.

To think that this usually looks like a load of slick, precision made parts well maintained and glistening with the sheen of oil and obsession. :)

That bike is now a write-off. I'll give you a grand for it, spares or repairs.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:47 am

:)

The bike has looked like this every winter for ten years now. It all cleans up and every spring gets a good strip down and thorough recommissioning for the summer.

It's a tool for doing a job all year round in my opinion, not a toy for pleasant weather.

Getting rid of salt and winter grime is a good way to keep you on your toes and keep the bike running well.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Like you, i also ride year round, but we don't have salt on our roads over winter, sometimes gravel on the mountain passes, or down the South Island on some of the shady sides of frozen hills they spray some liquid gunge, but not up north, with less than 20 frosts a year, we are good to ride year round. That salt must be hard on those chains, and bare metal.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

HWY101
Minimoto racer

Postby HWY101 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:23 am

On the BC coast, we could ride all year and a number of people do. Many years we get no snow at all, but the road crews start to spray "liquid motorcycle cancer" about November thru March, so I choose not to ride. I'd get some sort of winter-beater if I were to. Something like a first generation V-strom that I truly wouldn't care about.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 am

Hey Bic - have you cleaned her yet? :mrgreen:

Return to General banter