I've only gone and done it !

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

I've only gone and done it !

Postby SuperDoopa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:09 am

Thought I would never let go of my luverly 990, but yesterday I succumbed and have bought the new 2017 1290r in black of course. I opted for the performance pack to include the quickshifter amongst a few other things. I won't get it for 2 or 3 weeks but when I got home I didn't know how to tell my wife :?
I somehow told my son/brother and mother, yet had to wait until bedtime to let the cat out of the bag. It didn't go down well and as the saying goes, " it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission ".
I can guarantee I won't be exerting myself in some heavy sex session any time soon :lol:

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Re: I've only gone and done it !

Postby CEREC1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Good choice. Worth facing the flak I'm sure.
Black has to be the colour of choice. Just a shame it hasn't an orange frame :roll:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Looks like you won't be riding anything for two to three weeks then. If I had the extra cash I'd probably do the same. Move forward faster
I'm BLUE

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 pm

DribbleDuke wrote:Looks like you won't be riding anything for two to three weeks then.

^^^^^ What he said !! :lol: :lol:
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Saw the black in the metal and plastic yesterday. Have to say it looks amazing. Totally evil.

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Fair trade new bike for no sex !!!! :twisted:

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Joe Biker wrote:Fair trade new bike for no sex !!!! :twisted:

Won't that new bike make you irresistible to all women anyway :lol:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:18 am

Just wondering how your going to ride your new bike with wankers Cramp! :lol:

fatbob
Stunt rider

Postby fatbob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:00 pm

happy new bike , cant fault you :)

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 pm

fatbob wrote:happy new bike , cant fault you :)

My wife can, but obviously i sublimely made her find me irresistible and hence 1 sack now emptied :lol:

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 am

:lol:

That's the way to do it!!!

Congrat's on the new SD...good luck with the rubber side down :!:
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Well I picked her up today and I'm chuffed to say the least. Unfortunately it is still wearing the fugly end can but this will be changed asap. Love the quickshifter and the bars are spot on, the brakes seem very nice, and straight out of the box on stock settings it's reassuring. The clock is in one respect good, but if like me you need reading glasses, then some of it is too small for my liking. I can't wait to get it run in and the 600 mile service done and then it's getting the suspension set up. Only did about 80 odd miles today and hoping to get a few tomorrow but mothers Day duties will spoil my fun.
Not only did I spoil myself with a new bike, I couldn't not give my luverly wife a shiny new gift.
So I bought her a new washing machine :) After all, those skid marks won't shift themselves :P

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm

I hope you got a front loader or you will never get rid of those skid marks :lol:

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 am

SuperDoopa wrote:Well I picked her up today and I'm chuffed to say the least. Unfortunately it is still wearing the fugly end can but this will be changed asap. Love the quickshifter and the bars are spot on, the brakes seem very nice, and straight out of the box on stock settings it's reassuring. The clock is in one respect good, but if like me you need reading glasses, then some of it is too small for my liking. I can't wait to get it run in and the 600 mile service done and then it's getting the suspension set up. Only did about 80 odd miles today and hoping to get a few tomorrow but mothers Day duties will spoil my fun.
Not only did I spoil myself with a new bike, I couldn't not give my luverly wife a shiny new gift.
So I bought her a new washing machine :) After all, those skid marks won't shift themselves :P

Congrats on the new bike, man do the 2017s look cool. last birthday i brought my wife a new vacuum cleaner.................."WHAT NO fooking WAY IS THAT MY PRESENT" she said (id gotten myself the GT for my birthday) then i pointed to a nice new shiney mountain bike with suspension. The grin returned.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

I had it's first service done on Tuesday and was able to give the bike a bit more oomph on the way home and omg, it's a bit special. The next day I had the suspension set up and did a slight scenic route home as I had to get back to go to work. To say I was pleased would be an understatement, and I would never have been able to set the bike up to such a standard. I'd had my previous 990's set up and was very impressed, but the new bike seems to be in a different class and is going to be such a hoot. Roll on some decent sunny weather 8)

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Can't wait to get mine run in. 250 miles to go. I've left mine on Track settings suspension wise and prefer it over standard. Will look at maybe getting it setup. Will see how she handles when I can ride it in anger.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Can't wait to get mine run in. 250 miles to go. I've left mine on Track settings suspension wise and prefer it over standard. Will look at maybe getting it setup. Will see how she handles when I can ride it in anger.

If you've spent so much on a top bike, it's a no brainier to have someone who's an expert set your bike up. :P

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 pm

SuperDoopa wrote:
Colonel_Klinck wrote:Can't wait to get mine run in. 250 miles to go. I've left mine on Track settings suspension wise and prefer it over standard. Will look at maybe getting it setup. Will see how she handles when I can ride it in anger.

If you've spent so much on a top bike, it's a no brainier to have someone who's an expert set your bike up. :P

Did you just get it dialled in or re-valved? I get suspension setup for nothing as part of instruction for No Limits. Getting it re-valved however will cost £
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:19 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
SuperDoopa wrote:

Did you just get it dialled in or re-valved? I get suspension setup for nothing as part of instruction for No Limits. Getting it re-valved however will cost £

It was dialled in by an Ohlins trained technician. 10mm up at the back and 7mm down at the front and clicks here and there on the rest. But it turned a very good bike into a weapon. If the pitch is downhill it will turn in better and hold a fast sweeper with more control, but too much will lose stability. Proof was in the scenic ride home and I was made up 8)
If anyone who weighs just over 11 and a half stone want my settings, I will gladly share.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:24 am

SuperDoopa wrote:It was dialled in by an Ohlins trained technician. 10mm up at the back and 7mm down at the front and clicks here and there on the rest. But it turned a very good bike into a weapon. If the pitch is downhill it will turn in better and hold a fast sweeper with more control, but too much will lose stability. Proof was in the scenic ride home and I was made up 8)
If anyone who weighs just over 11 and a half stone want my settings, I will gladly share.

How has he dropped the front as there is no preload? Pushed the forks up through the yokes? Post up your settings, will be interesting to see. Although they've changed the suspension on the 2017 so it probably won't apply.
The late Bill Hicks

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
SuperDoopa wrote:It was dialled in by an Ohlins trained technician. 10mm up at the back and 7mm down at the front and clicks here and there on the rest. But it turned a very good bike into a weapon. If the pitch is downhill it will turn in better and hold a fast sweeper with more control, but too much will lose stability. Proof was in the scenic ride home and I was made up 8)

How has he dropped the front as there is no preload? Pushed the forks up through the yokes? Post up your settings, will be interesting to see. Although they've changed the suspension on the 2017 so it probably won't apply.

I popped into my dealer to see if I could have a quick word with the Ohlins chap who set my bike up, but it was his day off :roll: so I spoke to the salesman who sold me the bike who has owned about 5 990's and 2 1290's and always has his bikes set up by the Ohlins chap. I enquired about the 7mm drop at the front to which he was a little vague but seemed to think it was less likely it had been achieved by the forks being altered and thought it was achieved by a combination of settings, but did say to talk to the technician.
When I had it set up, they prepped the bike in the workshop and then I was summoned to talk of what riding I did and preferences I liked. I then got on the bike, bounced it up and down and then sat whilst sag readings were taken. The feedback I had given him had been exactly what he wanted as he said the pitch was in the raised position and that's when he said he was adding 10mm to the rear and reducing the front by 7mm. I then have to leave whilst he worked his magic and am called when he has made his alterations for another assessment.
I have a printed out sheet which I have scanned, but I've tried to upload it onto Photobucket but there seems to be a problem with the site. I'll give it another go tomorrow and if it doesn't work I'll see if I can upload it another way.
My ride today just reaffirmed my joy and although I got the set up as part of the deal, they charge £99 and this includes up to 3 returns for more tuning to your riding style and when I had my first 990 done, I said to myself it would be the first thing I'd have on my next bike.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 am

I get he can raise and lower the rear by using preload on the shock but the front can only be done with different springs or moving the forks in the yokes as there is no preload adjustment in the forks. Raising the rear 10mm and dropping the front 7mm seems like it would stand the bike on its nose. Would turn super quick but I'd be very concerned about front end stability as speed picks up through corners. I guess when you see the guy who did the work he will give reasoning for what he did and how he did it.
The late Bill Hicks

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:53 am

http://s731.photobucket.com/user/elsiea ... .jpeg.html

I will email the set up guy and hopefully have an answer in the next couple of days.

Return to General banter