Plight of the Responsible Hooligan

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
PBRnr
Stunt rider

Plight of the Responsible Hooligan

Postby PBRnr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 am

Starting my (car) commute back home today on Woodside Rd, Redwood City (for those familiar w the Bay Area) heading to SF and was stopped at a signal. I quickly spotted a biker on the opposite side of the road who had lane-split to be at the limit line. I see lots of riders during the day as I travel the peninsula and usually don't think twice but what I noticed about this bike was that he had no headlight on. I also could see from the general silhouette of the bike it was a naked sportbike of some kind. Initially I was thinking, gee I wouldn't want to ride around here without a working headlight what with all the distracted urban drivers... As the light turned green, the emerging side profile of the bike became more apparent: big ass rear cog, beefed up frame sliders, no headlight to speak of...it's a stunt machine. Sure enough, the rider hops two feet on the saddle and pulls a big 12 o'clock wheelie down the road as I continue on my merry way through the clumps of distracted drivers all the way back home.

As I drove, I guess I was equally guilty of driving somewhat distracted by my thoughts on that rider and my own personal views on "responsible" moto riding. For starters, coming back home in one piece with a bike that looks the same as I took out of the garage is a priority. When I still had my SD, I admit I'd justify some "spirited" riding and a little loftiness of the front wheel (if you saw my wheelie class vid, I can't pull one off longer than 200ft or higher than 2.5 ft :oops: ) but only in the absence of traffic/people. Otherwise, my riding ethic was use the bike within my ability to survive to ride again. The only times I've had costly encounters with LEOs were from times of poorer judgement and letting "fun" get the better of me. Now that my only ride is my tractoring '83 BMW R100RS, the amount of sheer effort it would take for me to approach anything resembling hooliganism has me choosing to ride sedately before I even turn the ignition on.

I got to thinking about how susceptible I was to riding a machine differently depending on a number of factors. Is it the bike's inherent abilities/setup? Is it my personality? Is it the stereotype of the bikes image? I do believe I rode the SD "harder" on the street because TBH it was a more "capable" machine at doing just that than my RS. As such, I was much more confident (or foolishly overconfident) riding the SD the way I did over the RS now. I've been told a squid, is a squid, is a squid no matter what machine they ride. Maybe I was just a closet squid on the SD and a now restrained poser on my RS.

I do think if I owned a bike purpose-built to stunt, as that rider's clearly was, I'd just be totally stressed about riding it around the street like the expectation to stunt it is too much to get away from. Between being on a badly geared bike for general riding and drawing the negative attention of probably every LEO within a 500ft radius, I feel I'd be miserable. Even if my sole existence was to pull massive wheelies all day long wherever the hell I pleased, the inevitable fix-it tickets and impending loss of license would be a major buzz kill.

I guess the point of my rant is that I loved the SD for being a closet-hooligan's bike. It could be ridden sedately and just look fast while your at the stoplight or rolling at 25mph...it could also cause you to lose your license (or more, knock on wood) with a little more right hand.

So I wonder, does anybody else here ride differently depending on the bike being used? Why or why not?
Always stay a student of something

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Re: Plight of the Responsible Hooligan

Postby DribbleDuke » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:56 pm

For years I had motorcycles that asked too much out of you to ride fast and stop fast, or should I say ride quick and stop quick. I would push these bikes to their limits wishing the front end would just please come up or that the back end would please break loose to steer it through the final part of a bend. I have had multiple dual sport bikes that hooligan to a certain extent, mainly in the fact that they feel like a cardboard cutout of a real street bike and with knobbies they get to roll around themselves at good cornering pace. I am a firm believer that it is not the bike that determines your destiny but more the bikes deficiencies I bought a FJR1300 in 03 that was a whale of a time. It was a ridiculously heavy hooligan it would wheelie on purpose but it cornered like a 68 cadillac. I traded it in for a v-strom and a Duke II and ended up with two scrappy toys that functioned quite similar. I was finally home. I said to myself that no matter how many bikes come and go through my greasy hands, I will always have one that will wheelie up in second gear at a twist in a moments notice. My ratio of accomplishment of the promise is 3/5. In that i would conclude that I may just be 3/5 hooligan heading everyday to 1/5 cause I can ride a bike all day and leave the front end down. But please don't take my ability away. I think you have a Duke in your future.
I mounted one of those tyres I scored from you with my new No-Mar tyre changer. I have yourear wheel mounted on the bike .
You got it bad, you wanted to try that bike out soooo bad :evil:
I'm BLUE

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:07 am

get out of my head and glad you're getting to use that tyre

Getting back to bikes, I think tons of people love to/tend to justify a machine based on the potential for performance "oh ya, it goes sub-10 1/4 mile out of the box...has tech straight out of motoGP...steve mcqueen had one...it has the word 'dual' in the name." Few folks want that one trick pony.

Like a swiss army knife, maybe you use a tool once or several of them are never used, but in the event you want to hoon it up or cruise around, I don't think many bikes can do better than an SD.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:29 am

PBRnr wrote:get out of my head and glad you're getting to use that tyre

Getting back to bikes, I think tons of people love to/tend to justify a machine based on the potential for performance "oh ya, it goes sub-10 1/4 mile out of the box...has tech straight out of motoGP...steve mcqueen had one...it has the word 'dual' in the name." Few folks want that one trick pony.

Like a swiss army knife, maybe you use a tool once or several of them are never used, but in the event you want to hoon it up or cruise around, I don't think many bikes can do better than an SD.

This too is to beg the question, Is the Superduke bound for classic motorcycle status? I do believe you have already answered that question. I'll keep a lookout for you :lol: You can stick one in storage, when your done raisin babies you can go back to raisin ruckus.
I'm BLUE

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:12 am

I think all the 990 LC8s will be headed for classic status. The Dukes and the SMs, all of them. They're rock-solid reliable, raucous bikes that are tough and simple yet genuinely perform at the same time and which just get better and better the harder you ride them, and they seem to be designed with home maintenance in mind. They're biker's bikes, keepers, the real-deal in a world of corporate motor-giant clones which is where most mass produced bikes are now and where all are heading.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:17 am

I think in my case it's a bit of both. I'm on my second full fat SDR. Both have (had) the standard mods of exhaust, airbox (homemade Rottweiler copy), mapping and LSL flat bars. I've also had 37 other bikes, ranging from RS250 Aprilia's to 1000cc sports bikes and a few Aprilia Tuonos. Currently have an MV Agusta F4 keeping the SDR company.

The first SDR I wheelied into oblivion, going over backwards at 120 kmh when my ambition very much outweighed my ability. That scarred me physically and mentally. I still wheelie, but the days of sitting on the back wheel through the gears are long gone. And doing wheelies on the MV is so fooking fast it scares me to death!

Having said that, I absolutely love the SDR and its characteristics. It's the most incredibly fun bike to ride.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 am

speedfiend41 wrote: I've also had 37 other bikes

:shock:
Such is the dilemma of being Jay Leno without the garage 8)

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:48 am

DribbleDuke wrote: I'll keep a lookout for you :lol: You can stick one in storage, when your done raisin babies you can go back to raisin ruckus.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/6189868336.html

DAMN. DAMN DAMN DAMN. Why now????

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:55 am

PBRnr wrote:
speedfiend41 wrote: I've also had 37 other bikes

:shock:
Such is the dilemma of being Jay Leno without the garage 8)

Correct. And the memories of some of the bikes I've sold so as to obtain the next one make me cry!

Kawasaki KR1S, four Aprilia RS 250's, two ZRX1200R's, a mint Yamaha RZ350 and RD250 - so many classics.
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm

PBRnr wrote: I've been told a squid, is a squid, is a squid no matter what machine they ride. Maybe I was just a closet squid on the SD and a now restrained poser on my RS.

I learned to ride on dirt so maybe it's just that playfulness I still have in my head when it comes to bikes but every bike I ride I wheelie and do stupid shit on.

When my girl got a pregen ex250 I snicked through all the gears at wot just to show her that a slow bike is still faster than 70% of the sedans on the road. Wheelied it, all kinds of shit you wouldn't want some one doing to your baby.

When she picked up a Duke 390 I test rode it and did the same thing. Hopped on wheelied 1st to 3rd gear and tested out the ABS and slipper before she bought it.

My bike has been down so many times from me learning how to wheelie it but thankfully my upper and lower GB sliders have done a wonderful job at protecting the important bits (I've also done a wonderful job at replacing all the non protected stuff. Suffice to say I have a duplicate of just about every exterior part of my bike lol).

Most of my wheelies and hooning is under 70mph and I rarely do wheelies in congested areas anymore (currently waiting to be charged for a reckless driving misdemeanor from last September) that doesn't mean I haven't found other ways to spice up my commute. I still bang down a couple gears when coming to a corner feather the clutch and tip the bike in to slide the ass around.

This doesn't mean I've forgotten that riding motorcycles is inherently dangerous, I've been down and injured. I've lost dear friends and family but for me it's all comes down to if it's not fun what's the fooking point of risking your life every time you hop on?

Catharsis is a funny thing I guess.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 am

Well said mate. It's almost impossible to ride a bike without thinking 'what'll it do??'

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:Well said mate. It's almost impossible to ride a bike without thinking 'what'll it do??'

That sums up motorcycling's enthusiastic spirit in the fewest words possible.
What'll it do??
I'm BLUE

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:26 pm

I find myself always pushing hard on whatever it is, to the extreme on some lesser bikes and probably nowhere near the limits on others (my mates cbr1000 comes to mind with that one), but the end result is normally around the same area where I feel comfortable, it's just how close the limits of the bike that changes.

I tested a Bonneville T120 last year, found myself pushing it quite hard, as if I was on the SD, even though the Bonnie has a different image.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

fatbob
Stunt rider

Postby fatbob » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Riding round on an MT10SP at the moment , not the prettiest admittedly , however the electronics are so shite that its not so dissimilar to the 990SD , you just feel like being a bit naughty as soon as you go out :shock:
It can even mimic the old 2005 mileage per tank , its very easy to only reach double figures.
Even sounds like a twin with the Graves EVR system on it

steve59
Minimoto racer

Postby steve59 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 am

BUMP, might as well keep it going. I started out in the dirt,(think everybody should if only because it's a bit softer than concrete) and my dad would buy stuff to flip and make some coin. I come home 15 years old and see a cb350 in the driveway and being a typical kid I find the keys and take that thing onto the trails, WOOHOO for about 20 minutes then I nursed it home with a busted fork tube and got the h e l l out b4 my dad got home, and that was the power bikes always had on me.... until I started buying nice, read expensive ones. Now i've had paved roads turn to dirt beneath me at + 150 mph on my SDR and all I think is I hope I don't scratch the paint! The 1290 encourages mischief and I already totalled 1 this summer, so, i'm layin back a bit. best I can anyhow. I will say being over 50 wrecking bikes take f o r e v e r to heal from. The responsible part I guess is chillin' til i'm in open country to go full retard. My other bike is a k1600 and for all its qualities it never makes me want to ride like the SDR does.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:42 am

I'm always amazed how many Superduke nutters (me as well...) are on the very far side of 40. It's great to see so many blokes heading into middle age, refusing to release their grip on the crazy behaviour which makes us laugh like teenagers.

The designers of the Superduke got this design brief bang on. And us old(er) blokes couldn't have a better bike to be idiots on!

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:I'm always amazed how many Superduke nutters (me as well...) are on the very far side of 40. It's great to see so many blokes heading into middle age, refusing to release their grip on the crazy behaviour which makes us laugh like teenagers.

The designers of the Superduke got this design brief bang on. And us old(er) blokes couldn't have a better bike to be idiots on!

67 here and not afraid to Rock my 1290. :twisted:

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 pm

^I like that. Was just talking to one of my riding buddies the other day. He's almost 55. I'm 53. We were both wondering out loud how long we'll be able to do the dumb shit that we do. If you're 67 and still acting like a fool. I love that. Very inspiring.
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 pm

1958 vintage myself...........
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 am

I currently work as PT visiting mostly the elderly in their homes. The age of being physically/mentally incapable is not always such a high number...has totally redefined in my mind "live for today." I think lots of younger folks (and some older as well) plan so certainly on living till 80+ and having retirement $ to spend on vacations and toys. I've since learned that for most, once people get hit > 75 y.o. a ton of that $ either goes to medical expenses and caregivers/rent at care facilities....

...maybe crashing and breaking sh!t as a younger person is better than breaking hips walking to the toilet later on in life?

I did see a fellow the other day who was probably >80 f'in blazing along a bike path (going the wrong direction, mind you) on an electric wheelchair scooter that seemed to have the speed limiter removed, so I guess there IS hope for the old hooligan :lol:

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 am

Can't say I'm a big fan of doing wheelies in urban areas / traffic. While I've done it on the road in my youth (old 250's out in the sticks with no traffic) I haven't done so on the road for 20 years.
I was never great at them but also never dropped a bike doing them .. well on the road ;)
Over the last week or so, on the ride home from work, I've seen the same guy on a Yammy Motard variant (couldn't make the exact bike out in my mirror) pull some long wheelies twice.
Cars next to or in front of him while he's doing it. Just asking to be taken out really. Shit I'm flat out having to dodge erratic drivers left right and centre at times when I'm on two wheels...lol.
Keywords are "Time and Place".

On the dirt go for it, in fact when I had my WR250F 3 years ago, it was all we did when out Enduro riding :)
But in traffic F3ck that !. Also give riders a bad name as it doesn't impress anyone at all. Kinda ironic given he probably does it thinking "look how cool I am !".

I suppose if out in the sticks and no traffic around its okay-ish, but I've seen the aftermath of what happens when it goes wrong too many times. As an example, about 3 years ago I saw a MV Brutale over rotate at 100+kmh speed and nearly wiping himself out. Was in a sorry state having to ring his partner to come pick him and what was left of his bike up. I remember thinking, no not worth it !. He was very lucky not to of hit a guardrail the wrong way and tore the back of his jacket off big time. One of the other riders in the group was very good on his R1 but used to do it down the M1 highway in amongst traffic (covering his rear brake all the time). Best exponent of a wheelie I've ever seen and he could stay on the back wheel for miles. He eventually got caught though and lost his bike due to the hoon laws here though.

Just my 2c worth :)

Edit : the SD990 is not easy to ride slow ;)
Last edited by DukeNukem999 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 am

I was charged with misdemeanor reckless driving last year for doing a wheelie (a shitty one at that).

I still do them every time I get on the bike. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also bang down a couple gears when making right hand turns and modulate the clutch to steer with the rear a bit.

Then again I'm 29 years old and never had a plan for after 30 but some how I have a mortgage but no retirement fund so...Might as well go out doing what I love :lol: :lol:
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Spike_africa
Minimoto racer

Postby Spike_africa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm

This is the reason I didn't get a quick bike till I was 25. I knew I couldn't deal with it. I had a Yamaha cruiser a Vstar 1100 custom that when fully modded like mine. Only made 70rwhp. It was fun and I liked riding it, but once I started dating my wife and I rode her Ducati Monster 696. Even with that only having 85hp, but at 385lbs wet. It was quick enough and fun. I sold my Vstar and got my 09 Street Triple. Now I get on the KTM and the wife rides the Triumph. And it's hard to not fook around when no one is around on it. But that's part of the reason I searched and searched for one.
2007 SD 990
2009 Triumph Street Triple

Return to General banter