Anyone on here ever owned a RC8?

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Anyone on here ever owned a RC8?

Postby AGRO! » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 am

I've been thinking lately about maybe buying a KTM RC8 and it would be good to get some feed back as to how good or bad they are?
I did ride one some time back but it was only a short ride and in the suburb's so I couldn't really give it the berries.
I'm thinking of a 2012 model as I've hear it has smoother throttle response.

jmann

Re: Anyone on here ever owned a RC8?

Postby jmann » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

Comrade Agro: I've never owned one but have admired them ever since they were released. As you probably know, originally one could also buy full (cheap?) track bodywork kits. Every so often I think maybe I should buy one for the track - so many bikes, so little money 8)

Be interested to hear a proper answer to this question.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 am

Hey Jmann I've been reading up a bit on the RC8 and it seems that they are pretty underrated.
It's not going to go as hard as some more modern 1k sports bikes but I've read it's a sweet handling machine with plenty of torque.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am

I had one. Totally, totally loved it. It's one of the 38 bikes I've owned I wish I never sold.

Handling is totally brilliant, like a 600. Suspension, like the Superduke, is top quality. Build quality, likewise, is brilliant. I took mine to a Phillip Island track day and it was a great ride.

Everything is adjustable - levers, bar height, pegs, even subframe and seat height. I'm 6'2 with long arms and it's the most comfortable sportsbike I've ever owned, so roomy to move around on in the corners.

Power is immense - more than a 990 and about the same as a 1098. It has a big midrange and flattens out approaching redline. Mine had an Akrapovic, which really helps with power and weight. Sounds amazing too!

The only negative is the clunky shift from neutral into first.

I really loved mine. Wish I hadn't sold it!
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 am

speedfiend41 wrote:I had one. Totally, totally loved it. It's one of the 38 bikes I've owned I wish I never sold.

Handling is totally brilliant, like a 600. Suspension, like the Superduke, is top quality. Build quality, likewise, is brilliant. I took mine to a Phillip Island track day and it was a great ride.

Everything is adjustable - levers, bar height, pegs, even subframe and seat height. I'm 6'2 with long arms and it's the most comfortable sportsbike I've ever owned, so roomy to move around on in the corners.

Power is immense - more than a 990 and about the same as a 1098. It has a big midrange and flattens out approaching redline. Mine had an Akrapovic, which really helps with power and weight. Sounds amazing too!

The only negative is the clunky shift from neutral into first.

I really loved mine. Wish I hadn't sold it!

What year did you have?

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am

My mate had an 09 RC8R. Better gearbox, more power but I much prefer the all orange over the mainly black.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm not sure, but I think they went to twin spark plugs in 2012 which vastly improved it.
I check out ones for sale every now and then and it's always been a bike I wish I could own. They still look feckin amazing and don't seem to date, and could be a future investment.

bailer
Two wheeled terror

Postby bailer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I had a 2008 SD990 that I replaced with a ‘10 RC8R.
I still have it and completely love it. It is a very confidence inspiring bike that gives no surprises.
I really liked the SD but just really prefer the ergonomics of a more tucked position. The RC8R is a very comfortable bike for a larger rider, I’m 6 feetand 175 lbs.
Even being an old bike now, it still is ridiculous how much attention it gets!

arg
Minimoto racer

Postby arg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I had a 2011 twin spark. Very good bike, comfortable, fast, good handling, even used it for touring. I has a S1000RR before which tied itself in knots because of the lairy power delivery. The RC8R handled very sweetly by comparison.

The only issue I had was the gearbox occasionally missed gears when going for it.

I sold it after I brought a 1290 Superduke and just didn't use the RC8R enough to justify keeping it. Suspect I will regret it.

Return to General banter