Who's Our Oldest SD Rider

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
scamb66

Who's Our Oldest SD Rider

Postby scamb66 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 am

After reading the thread "Plight of the Responsible Hooligan"
http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27380
It's good to see that there are quite a few older gents tonking around on SD's of all types.
So the big question is........

WHO IS THE OLDEST SD RIDER HERE?

I'm a near pup at 51.

A free bowl of something you can sip through a straw for the winner. :D
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Re: Who's Our Oldest SD Rider

Postby michaeln » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 am

67 here, but I get younger every time I ride my 1290 SDR. It's probably likely that someday it will keep me from getting older. :lol:

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:34 am

scamb66 wrote:After reading the thread "Plight of the Responsible Hooligan"
It's good to see that there are quite a few older gents tonking around on SD's of all types.

I'm a near pup at 51.

I think that the Superduke came out in 2005 so the oldest bike would be in europe somewhere. We in the states did not get the bike till 2007 so likely it would not be around these parts. You could look and see who had the earliest sign up date and that may give a clue. It would be nice to think that the oldest SD is still on the road. Maybe Vehicle Identification Numbers would be a good start.
I'm BLUE

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 am

DribbleDuke wrote:

I'm a near pup at 51.

I think that the Superduke came out in 2005 so the oldest bike would be in europe somewhere. We in the states did not get the bike till 2007 so likely it would not be around these parts. You could look and see who had the earliest sign up date and that may give a clue. It would be nice to think that the oldest SD is still on the road. Maybe Vehicle Identification Numbers would be a good start.

DribbleDuke.........re-read the title "WHO IS THE OLDEST SD RIDER HERE?"

As far as "Super Duke" and legal US homologated 990 Super Duke State Side well...............................................

SD#1

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 pm

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:
DribbleDuke wrote:

I'm a near pup at 51.

DribbleDuke.........re-read the title "WHO IS THE OLDEST SD RIDER HERE?"
You would have to know the oldest SD first the rider part comes afterword.
As far as "Super Duke" and legal US homologated 990 Super Duke State Side well...............................................

SD#1
I'm BLUE

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Almost 53, but my knackered body suggests a fair bit older :|

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Looks like so far, it's me at 67 years.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Class of 1958 myself but I’m told you’re only as old as the woman you feel - so one year younger, then (been together for 42 years now)......
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

motoyoyo
Minimoto racer

Postby motoyoyo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 pm

64 here...I had a heart attack a few days after I made my 2008 990 SDR purchase on eBay from out of State, a year and a half ago.

The bike wasn't even delivered yet when I tapped out (probably from too much excitement waiting for the bike). I was out cold for a week and spent a whole month in the hospital. I had no recollection of even buying the bike when I awoke after the first week. It was like a gift that inspired me to make a full recovery and get home to see my beautiful surprise. I didn't have the strength to even sit on the bike, let alone ride it for several months later. I spent several hours staring at the bike with my walker, saying to myself..."what the hell was I thinking when I bought this beast?"

Then I remembered... I was thinking how fun it was to always be striving to be a better rider, every time I rode, all those years. Bikes have been my life since I was 14 yrs old and I wasn't about to give in yet. So, a few months later I took my first outing with my riding buddies. I told them I would hang back and take it easy so they could go ahead and have fun without me holding anyone up. Before we took off from the famous "Rock Store" in Malibu, they all realised they had no idea where to go and asked if I could show them the way. It felt so good to finally be back on a bike and It all just came back naturally and so easily.

When I stopped several miles later, no one was there behind me and I had to wait a couple minutes for everyone to catch up. One of my good buddies was laughing as he told me he was hoping that he would finally be able to keep up with me for once. Oh well, he said, glad to have you back... I have been having an absolute blast with my 990 SDR ever since, and am riding better now than I ever have. I'm looking forward to many more years of burning up tyres in under 2k miles on my KTM. You're only as old as you feel, mentally as well as physically. Luckily, riding my KTM makes me feel like a kid again every time I head out for the canyons.
2008 990 SDR US, Full Titanium Akro, Rottweiler Airbox, SAS Blockoff

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm

michaeln wrote:Looks like so far, it's me at 67 years.

INFANT!
Got ya beat at 68. And the 1290 just clicked over 73,000 miles. :D :D
2014 1290 73K miles

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Well I did say "so far" ... <grin>

Too bad we didn't talk that day in Markleeville.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 pm

REDTALE2000 wrote:
michaeln wrote:Looks like so far, it's me at 67 years.

INFANT!
Got ya beat at 68. And the 1290 just clicked over 73,000 miles. :D :D

67 this past June........you're old there "old man REDTALE2000" :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey michaeln what's your birth month?

I've been riding, racing and just plain having motorcycle fun since 1964, YIKES :oops: :oops: Never missed a year of not riding a motorcycle since then.

KEEP RIDING GUYS, STAY SAFE!

SD#1

And for DribbleDuke.......on oldest U.S. 990 Super Duke MOTORCYCLE :wink: .......here's me on my 2006 990 Super Duke :D

SD#1

Last edited by SUPER DUKE #1 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 pm

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:Hey michaeln what's your birth month?

February 13, 1950, 6AM. Dunno the minutes or seconds, I was a little young then.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 pm

michaeln wrote:
SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:Hey michaeln what's your birth month?

February 13, 1950, 6AM. Dunno the minutes or seconds, I was a little young then.

Damn you're even older than me, even without the seconds :lol: :lol: JK That makes me 3rd place at the moment.......still a podium spot :mrgreen:

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 pm

I think we have enough Depends to go around.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Just proves to me that you old dudes need glasses!
Who else would buy such an ugly bike 1290 :lol:

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 am

and here I was thinking I might be old to be fooking around with a naked bike... I'm the young guy at 49.

headed out for a few hours tomorrow, looking forward to breaking in some new tyres, and enjoying the fall leaves (north GA).
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 am

Old guys are the best riding partners.

They'll lecture you about riding like a jack ass then they'll pass you in the canyons and make it look like a Sunday cruise.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 pm

67 April 1950 only been riding street since 1967. :roll:

WarBaby
Minimoto racer

Postby WarBaby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm

I'll be 74 on 11/26--been riding almost continuously for 61 years. Started on a Sears (Puch) 50cc moped at 13. Graduated to dirt bikes and hot street bikes and did a LOT of drag racing (on and off track). A love for the twisties overwhelmed me 20 years ago and I moved 14 minutes away from the 'Tail of The Dragon' at Deals Gap, TN to enjoy some of the best curves in America for the rest of my life. I ride the Dragon 2-3 days per week during good weather. :mrgreen: Age is just a number. Motorcycles are 10% physical and 90% mental. As long as your mind and body work well, you are only as old as you allow yourself to be. You MIGHT outrun me...unless you blink! 8) Cheers!

The pics below are from August, 2017.

2017 Superduke: BST carbon wheels, Supercorsa tyres, Arrow Ti can/DeCat, 16-T, Rottweiler 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/Canister-delete/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lithium battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy. 34 lbs. removed.

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Looks like I have a few riding years left, WarBaby. Thanks for being an inspiration!

BuddhaBiker
Minimoto racer

Postby BuddhaBiker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:49 pm

I’m approaching 60 and feel younger every time I ride it. It’s energizing, not exhausting like my FJR was.

I’ve been going backwards from the norm as I age: Honda Goldwing F6B —> BMW R1200RT —> Yamaha FJR 1300 ES -> Super Duke 1290R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Warbaby, awesome bio and great riding style there too! I rode a PUCH too but it was the off-road model. First bike was a Honda S90 that I actually drag raced after being talked into going with a friend to watch him drag race his 650 Bonneville. Went to registration with him and the woman signed me up too :shock: Won my class easily (still have that trophy) and made it all the way to the final Top Eliminator where I ran a alcohol Harley full on drag bike and blew, and I mean BLEW BY ME about 20 feet from the line. :lol: :lol: :lol: A guy came over to our pit spot and asked who is racing the S90, then went on to say I was only a few tenths off of the national record (at that time). He knew that because he owned it at that time on a Bridgestone 100. Wow low 19 second quarter mile times seemed so quick when you're a kid :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:. After that I put Honda 160 Scrambler handlebars on it, took the front fender off and put a Webco up pipe with a Snuff-or-Not in the end and found power lines and hills to climb and empty lots and fields to make a motocross track. Great fun.

Where did you live before you moved to the Dragon area?

74 and still sport riding, you're my new hero!!!

SD#1

A friend sent a CD of Super-8 FILM that he converted to digital of us on our Honda's (me on my S90) riding off road, climbing hills and jumping, etc., good laughs, even did a one handed jump caught on film :lol: :lol: :lol:

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Postby michaeln » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 pm

I remember taking my first bike (late 1960s BSA Thunderbolt 650) to the Friday night grudge races at Fremont Dragstrip in California. I *think* it ran in the high 14 second range, but I could be wrong. Likely am.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Im 61 and I reckon motorcycles keep you young as long as you don't crash and die first :D
My son and myself just purchased a couple of Kawasaki z125s :lol: we've got some big bore kits and stuff coming from the USA so it should be heaps of fun 8) Living the dream..

Next

Return to General banter