Pain in the ass

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
Willh
Wheelie king

Pain in the ass

Postby Willh » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Any of you old fooks having to deal with sciatica? My first ride of the the past season gave me what I thought was monkey but. Turns out I am now a sciatica sufferer. I've been seeing my usual osteotherapist and have added it to the list of complaints. Some relief has been had but I am wondering what works for other riders to avoid this. Things to work on,( bike or rider), before next spring?
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

steeeve66
Two wheeled terror

Re: Pain in the ass

Postby steeeve66 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:32 pm

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sciatica/

You probably know all this already but just in case..

I've had back trouble pretty much all my adult life - best treatment has always been regular visits to the gym and plenty of stretching etc. It may just be a personal thing but I've never found osteo or any kind of massage (except by the missus...) any use at all. At 51 I still visit the gym 2 or 3 times a week.
Superduke 990. FZS Fazer1000. CBR600FS-1. CB500S.

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 am

Willh wrote:Any of you old fooks having to deal with sciatica? My first ride of the the past season gave me what I thought was monkey but. Turns out I am now a sciatica sufferer. I've been seeing my usual osteotherapist and have added it to the list of complaints. Some relief has been had but I am wondering what works for other riders to avoid this. Things to work on,( bike or rider), before next spring?

I assume the osteotherapist is the Canadian equivalent of a chiropractor here in the US? IMHO as a licensed physical therapist (PT), I'd seek out a well-reviewed one near your home and try what they suggest. Heaps of objective evidence to show physical therapy helps to relieve and maintain relief of sciatic and low back pain symptoms over long periods of time. You may be surprised to hear that sciatica generally doesn't afflict older individuals as much as the younger crowd, so don't take it as a indicator of your age. Certainly, you should be communicating with your physician to confirm you aren't suffering from a more serious injury contributing to "sciatica" that PT may not be able to help...

Obviously I nor anybody else can give you effective self-treatment ideas over the internet without an in-person evaluation so, also IMHO, don't fook around with random advice. Don't waste time, go get checked out, start a specific treatment plan, and get back to your normal self!

For environmental solutions, some relief may come from looking into a softer/gel saddle, reassess your posture/ergonomic setup (bars, foot peg placement/foot position on pegs, seating position on the saddle relative to tank), take breaks on long rides, change seat positions every few minutes of riding... For many folks I've worked with, improving the external factors helps incrementally towards overall relief but little tweaks can make a big difference.

get well soon
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:05 am

Yoga was brilliant for mine. As long as you don't push too hard and aggravate the back problem that is causing it in the first place.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Gives me things to think about.

Wear, tear, and old injuries...

This issue is just the latest to show its head and I've had X-rays, nerve conductivity, etc for a few problems, arthrosis and carpel tunnel syndrome of late. X-rays confirmed the Neuros suspected neck issues and Osteotherapist returned range of neck motion and corrected seveveral back and thorax issues,( I feel taller too :lol: ).Tendinitis is being dealt with and has impact on reducing the carpal tunnel symptoms. Anti inflammatory as required,(often).

The Osteotherapist says that my work requires me to be in great shape to do. Apparently the decades of doing this kind of work hasn't kept me in great shape. I do the prescribed PT for the individual afflictions as long as they bother me but that is no longer sufficient. Go to the gym he says ...

I'll get on that in the new year, maybe try yoga too.

That brings me to the bike. I've been on the lookout for a heavier rear spring to deal with my rear suspension woes. I intend to have one before next riding season. Comfort gel seat has been on the bike for years. I have a few seasons with lowered and forward pegs for my bad knees. I've run a high wide bar for years. Only difference to riding position last season was the Nichols triple clamp that came with a high bar clamp that all in all might have raised bar position a little over an inch. This might be part of the issue.

Driving any time over half an hour puts me in pain. Increased lumber support helps. Osteo sayed its do to position of back and but. Told me what should relieve it and I will give it a try next time I get a chance. After thinking about it, this may be what's happening on the bike as well. If it is, it would seam that increased core strength could help fix my issue on the bike.
2008 Superduke

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 am

Having higher bars and more upright position will put greater axial compression upon your spine. Coupling that with alignment issues and you may be contributing to some factors limiting your riding tolerance
------------------------

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:12 am

Comrade: I always found that shagging helps. It does nothing for the pain, indeed it might make it worse, but the world always seems a brighter place afterwards...

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:23 am

jmann wrote:Comrade: I always found that shagging helps. It does nothing for the pain, indeed it might make it worse, but the world always seems a brighter place afterwards...

:lol: agreed
2008 Superduke

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 am

I have an old mate that was crippled by this problem for years, he couldn't even walk to the mailbox! Doctors told him to take all their drugs until his guts were fooked, then told him to go to the gym, go swimming, meditate etc etc. His life was miserable once he could not ride his bikes anymore. To cut a long story short, he was given some medical cannabis to try and he started to get better, he now self medicates with CBD oil and is back riding and living life; something all his mates thought would never happen.
It may not be for everyone but his story is amazing considering how crippled he was and how much he suffered for so many years.
He is now moving around like a 20 year old and putting all his mates to shame.
Good luck to you.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 pm

abc wrote:I have an old mate that was crippled by this problem for years, he couldn't even walk to the mailbox! Doctors told him to take all their drugs until his guts were fooked, then told him to go to the gym, go swimming, meditate etc etc. His life was miserable once he could not ride his bikes anymore. To cut a long story short, he was given some medical cannabis to try and he started to get better, he now self medicates with CBD oil and is back riding and living life; something all his mates thought would never happen.
It may not be for everyone but his story is amazing considering how crippled he was and how much he suffered for so many years.
He is now moving around like a 20 year old and putting all his mates to shame.
Good luck to you.

Thanks abc,

8) I won't even need a script for it after July 1st 2018 :lol:

I'm still going to try the PT, yoga, and lowering the bars first and leave the electric lettuce as last resort.
2008 Superduke

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 pm

You don't need a script for it now. :mrgreen:
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

Scrotumulon
Minimoto racer

Postby Scrotumulon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Yoga has helped me tremendously. You just need to find a studio without all the woo woo crystals and hippie shit (unless you’re into woo woo crystals and hippie shit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Scrotumulon wrote:Yoga has helped me tremendously. You just need to find a studio without all the woo woo crystals and hippie shit (unless you’re into woo woo crystals and hippie shit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear, my wife's friend and tennis partner teaches a few classes at the tennis club/gym so won't have to deal with the woo woo crystal hippie stuff :)
I'll look into starting in January.
2008 Superduke

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Black Out wrote:You don't need a script for it now. :mrgreen:

I know, but it will be legal to buy for recreational use as of that date here in Canada :wink:
2008 Superduke

step1
Minimoto racer

Postby step1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 pm

I had it when i was younger.It generally does only effect the young and the fit blokes. Im a brickies labourer so im pretty fit. Mine got to the stage when i couldnt even bear the pressure on my legs. In the end i had to have a disc removed but since then and im talking 15 years ago ive been fine and im still labouring. Sciatica is caused by the damaged disc crushing the sciatic nerve. It was described to me like a doughnut that had burst and all the jam had ran out which caused it to collapse around the sciatic nerve.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:44 pm

step1 wrote:I had it when i was younger.It generally does only effect the young and the fit blokes. Im a brickies labourer so im pretty fit. Mine got to the stage when i couldnt even bear the pressure on my legs. In the end i had to have a disc removed but since then and im talking 15 years ago ive been fine and im still labouring. Sciatica is caused by the damaged disc crushing the sciatic nerve. It was described to me like a doughnut that had burst and all the jam had ran out which caused it to collapse around the sciatic nerve.

So they fused two vertebrae? I'd like to avoid that as long as possible, but guess there may come a time...
2008 Superduke

step1
Minimoto racer

Postby step1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm

No mate they didnt fuse it they just took the damaged disc out.The one id squashed. The disc is the soft doughnut thing that sits between the vertebrae. When there knackered they just squash your nerves and thats what causes the intense pain.Its a delicate operation and a bit risky but at the time i was that bad i couldnt even stand so it was an easy decision for me. But that was many years ago and im now 54 and still carrying bricks, mixing cement and lugging roof tiles up ladders so it must have worked ok for me lol. Oh and ive been riding anything from race reps to hardtail chops only thing i cant do is ride feet forwards. Even put rearsets on my Rocket 111

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Willh wrote:
step1 wrote:I had it when i was younger.It generally does only effect the young and the fit blokes. Im a brickies labourer so im pretty fit. Mine got to the stage when i couldnt even bear the pressure on my legs. In the end i had to have a disc removed but since then and im talking 15 years ago ive been fine and im still labouring. Sciatica is caused by the damaged disc crushing the sciatic nerve. It was described to me like a doughnut that had burst and all the jam had ran out which caused it to collapse around the sciatic nerve.

So they fused two vertebrae? I'd like to avoid that as long as possible, but guess there may come a time...

You’re not at that point and have no indication that this type procedure will help you...don’t go jumping on board with a knife-happy neurosurgeon just yet. Step1 reported those severe symptoms that would benefit from such a procedure and it sounds like it happened just in time to prevent permanent nerve damage.

Interestingly, vertebra without or without much disc between them can actually fuse themselves over time...the concern with fused vertebra is much like your motorcycle chain. Tight links that don’t move put undue stress on adjacent links and can cause damage over time above and below the original site or problems.
------------------------

Return to General banter