Cambridge Audio

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
Sarasota_Steve

Cambridge Audio

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:42 pm

I've had a Cambridge Audio One System for a few years and I've been pretty satisfied. Not cheap, but decent sound.

I'm looking at a sound bar and wireless woofer https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/tv-sound/tvb2-v2

Anyone have experience?

I noticed it's a British product. Is there a certain stigma regarding British Audio Products? Like the stigma regarding Jaguars and Nortons? (Or is it Triumph's? :twisted: )

What do you use at home? (If audio bar or 2.1 system?)
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

05DUKE
Minimoto racer

Re: Cambridge Audio

Postby 05DUKE » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:57 am

My system presently is a bit of a whore as its parts from all over.

4 x Wharfedale Speakers
1 x Klipsch center speaker
1 x Polk Audio sub

All powered by a Marantz amp and all goes load enough to piss the neighborhood off nearly as much as the SD 990
Did look at updating to a sound bar but it would leave to much vacant space in my lounge

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 am

Sarasota_Steve wrote:...

I noticed it's a British product. Is there a certain stigma regarding British Audio Products? Like the stigma regarding Jaguars and Nortons? (Or is it Triumph's? :twisted: )

What do you use at home? (If audio bar or 2.1 system?)

I don't think there is a stigma. I have an old NAD amp that was demoted to garage duty for the simple fact that it only has rca style inputs, that still sounds good. For the main living room or deck, listening to my music, B&W towers,(603s2), are old and still sound nice powered by a new decently powerful Yamaha amp. More than ample for the size of my listening area.

TV and movie get lg sound bar and sub in living room full Sony surround system in the down stairs kids Gaming/ living room.

Audio systems might have a stigma or reputation. I don't think country of origin has anything to do with it.
Think Macintosh amp and Chrysler. Would love a Macintosh amp, would hate to own a Chrysler. Both made in good old USA.

But then again I own a Norton so :lol:
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:30 pm

I still use a NAD amp! Great bit of kit - it was the dogs bollox in the 80's and I still rate them. :)
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:05 pm

So I see nobody mentioned BOSE.

I originally went with Cambridge Audio based on the recommendation of a friend who is somewhat of an audiophile. And he told me to stay away from Bose. Every time I hear one of those systems at a store or someone's house it sounds great to my neophyte ears.

Thank you for your comments!
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Can't say I've ever heard of Cambridge Audio, so can't say if there's any stigma with them (being British, I'd be biased anyway).

I use a Yamaha sound bar with wireless sub, bought it a fair few years ago and wasn't too expensive then, but it still sounds great today so don't see the need to change it.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Bose isn't bad, but for the money you can get much more elsewhere.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:36 pm

jambox wrote:Can't say I've ever heard of Cambridge Audio, so can't say if there's any stigma with them (being British, I'd be biased anyway).

I use a Yamaha sound bar with wireless sub, bought it a fair few years ago and wasn't too expensive then, but it still sounds great today so don't see the need to change it.

I've got a Cambridge Audio Amp/CD player and Tuner. The amps volume knob packed in and the CD player drawer fails relentlessly and all the remote controls were contorted from the day I got them. So on paper they are meant to be great, but unfortunately for me I've not been impressed, but sound wise is pretty good.

No more twin
Minimoto racer

Postby No more twin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Cambridge is known for providing good value for the money for those interested in better sound than typically found in low-end mass consumer electronics. The only stigma regarding British audio is that they used to have a bias towards a particular sound, specifically their speakers, however this was decades ago. Britain is home to some great high-end audio brands. Cambridge is known for their electronics, not for speakers. Any retailer carrying the brand will likely have equivalent quality speakers.
2015 Superduke R
Too many mods to list.
Not as much time as I would like to ride.

Return to General banter