Possible US Spec SD990 in the UK

Please give full details of the bike (year, colour, mileage, extras, location, condition and asking price) along with at least one picture.

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Possible US Spec SD990 in the UK

Postby drkwng » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi all. I'll be making the move over to the UK this coming spring, and am trying to decide what to do with my SD. Would there be any interest in a US spec bike over there? It's got all the usual tasty mods done to it, just don't know what it would take to "import" it for a British buyer. I would be covering the cost to bring the bike into the UK, as it would come along with my house-hold goods. Just trying to get a feel for things...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Re: Possible US Spec SD990 in the UK

Postby Scotty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Are you thinking of bringing it over to ride or just to sell? Personally I wouldn’t bother if just to sell it as you’d need to get it registered and possibly have to pay import duty on it and if HMRC (our equivalent of the IRS) got wind of you selling it soon after coming they’d want a piece of the action :evil:

If you’re thinking of using it yourself then why not? They aren’t the commonest bike to see for sale so if you like yours enough then hiring her over. Whereabouts are you heading to?
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Postby drkwng » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:51 pm

I'll be working in/around the Peterborough area at first, and maybe later near Oxford. I knew there would be cost associated with selling it to British buyer if the intention were to use it as a road going bike, just wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in having it as a track weapon. I won't likely ride it much, as I haven't spent much time on the motos over the last several years, and will also be bringing my Ducati and SuperAdventure as well.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 am

Cool, I'm currently close to Peterborough so give me a shout when you head over and I can show you around a bit.
Happy New Year :D
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Postby drkwng » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 am

Cheers. I actually lived in the same area about fifteen years ago, so it will be a home coming so to speak. Looking forward to getting back over there.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm just wondering what makes you think a US spec bike will be more desirable than a UK spec bike?

They aren't particularly rare over here. Have you done any research in to the typical sale prices both in the US & here in the UK?
Reason I ask is that I just don't think it'll be worth your while, I'd guess that the re-sale value is probably higher in the US anyway.

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Postby drkwng » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Not that I think it would be all that special, or more desirable. I was more thinking that if someone was looking at buying one for a track bike, we could both get a good deal when you factor in the exchange rate.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

Ok, just out of interest... can I see the maths?

How much would you want for the bike £ or $?
(As of now google says the exchange rate is 1.41 US Dollar to GBP)

And for that price would the bike be road registered or just imported?
What's the age & miles of your bike?

This is basic information that should be considered when deciding what to do.

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Postby drkwng » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Since it's likely mostly (only) useful in the UK to either another yank, or as someone's track bike I figured I'd let it go for 3500 pounds.

Here's the text from the Craigslist add I last ran:

2008 KTM SuperDuke for sale in Las Cruces. I've owned this well taken care of bike since new; I purchased it from Three Bros Racing in CA in 2009. I am moving back overseas over the coming summer, and don't need to take three different bikes with me. The bike is a complete hoot to ride. It has a little over 18k miles on it, has never been down or wrecked and has the following modifications: Akrapovic titanium EVO slip ons, Motohooligan intake, butterflies, SAS block off (with dongles) plates, and sliders; Attack Racing rear sets (pretty sure I still have the stock items, with passenger pegs), Rizoma mirrors (still have stock items) and turn signals (rear not installed yet, still have stock items), and Pazzo Racing levers. The Dunlop Q2s have fair amount of tread left, and I recently installed a new Shorai battery. Full service (valves and oil) completed under 1000 miles ago.

Dirtydutch
Minimoto racer

Postby Dirtydutch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Is it in uk or states

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm

'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Postby drkwng » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Dirtydutch wrote:Is it in uk or states

I’m still in the states, but will be moving to Cambs in June. I can bring the bike with me at no cos though as my employer is covering the moving fees.

Return to Bikes for sale