Shorty lever install difficulties

For all 1290 related mods.
frogfish
Minimoto racer

Shorty lever install difficulties

Postby frogfish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Hey guys, I am trying to install some shorty levers on my 1290R, and I was wondering how you get the cylindrical piece off the stock levers to put on the aftermarket shorties? I am having some real difficulties trying to get it out without damaging it

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Re: Shorty lever install difficulties

Postby HYPERMOTO » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi there,

I have fitted similar (if not the same) levers and I had to figure this out too.
With the adjuster slackened off it is just not quite enough to get the cylindrical bit out.
You have to knock out the pivot bush on the original levers and it will just drop out.
By the way, I had to use one of my original pivot bushes as the new levers didn't have one.
I hope this helps.
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

frogfish
Minimoto racer

Postby frogfish » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:53 pm

HYPERMOTO wrote:Hi there,

I have fitted similar (if not the same) levers and I had to figure this out too.
With the adjuster slackened off it is just not quite enough to get the cylindrical bit out.
You have to knock out the pivot bush on the original levers and it will just drop out.
By the way, I had to use one of my original pivot bushes as the new levers didn't have one.
I hope this helps.

Did you press out the bushings with a press?

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:05 am

I didn't have access to a press but they were not very tight so I used a drill bit (blunt end) as a drift and knocked it out with a small rubber mallet into a socket.
Sounds a bit crude I know but nothing was marked or damaged in the process (I am very particular).
Pressing the original KTM bush into one of the Chinese levers was a bit difficult on mine so I did rig up a kind of press in my vice.
In an ideal world I would have done this in my workshop but it was a sunday morning pre-ride and I was in my home garage and short on time.
I did have to tighten up the small bolts (which I plan to replace) that hold the adjusters together and the clutch has to be on max to disengage.
A friend of mine has just fitted ASV levers on his (literally 10 times the price of mine!!) and we both agreed that the finish on mine was superior!
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

frogfish
Minimoto racer

Postby frogfish » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

What do you mean the clutch had to be on max to disengage?

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Now I have the levers fitted I have found that I need to have the clutch adjuster set to position 6 otherwise I find it difficult to select first gear.

It may be fine for you so see how you get on.
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

Lakaiguy
Minimoto racer

Postby Lakaiguy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:49 am

The clutch should take 5 minutes as expected

The brake lever however required some finesse aka brute force to get the pivot out. I had a long screw that went in place of the small rubber tipped pin that I used to pry the cylinder out.

MAKE SURE to not screw the rubber tipped pin back in too far or it will scratch the lever walls making the motion feel notchy

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]