2015 1290 SDR head gasket leak

Questions or Comments on Dealers, Stores, Warranty, Insurance, recalls and common faults
tombba
Minimoto racer

2015 1290 SDR head gasket leak

Postby tombba » Mon May 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Just picked a slightly used 2015 1290 SDR with only 1100 miles from a dealer here in seattle.After one ride
of 45 minutes noticed a burning smell and low and behold there is an oil leak coming from what seems to be the
head gasket on back of the rear cylinder.Oil drops down to the flat part of the case and will pool up there a little
and inevitably will drop to the exhaust hence the burning smell and slight smoke.Not an excessive leak but definitely
something that needs to be addressed.The bike is under factory warranty for another 6 months.I"m the second owner and
will contact the dealer tomorrow.Hopefully no issues regarding it being covered.Any one else have this issue?

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: 2015 1290 SDR head gasket leak

Postby ktmguy » Mon May 11, 2015 9:43 pm

Not heard of that one yet!
The castings of the clutch cover and flywheel cover are extremely light and some have pinholes in them due to the metal seemingly being aerated to make it lighter, that's where most leaked.
On the other hand the gaskets everywhere are exceptionally good quality so they hardly ever leak.

Get the dealer to tilt over the bike to the left too and inspect - replace the oil filter as there have been issues with that and it raises the oil pressure which causes leaks.
10 min job and if leaned over hardly any oil comes out, piece of mind!

See here: http://superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25023
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Tip for the clutch cover: A piece of 2x4" timber under each wheel and the bike on it's side stand was far enough over to minimise oil loss last time I had the cover off.

tombba
Minimoto racer

Postby tombba » Tue May 12, 2015 5:39 pm

after further investigation it doesn't look like it"s visibly leaking from the head gasket although the gasket has
a "normal"amount of oil moisture to the touch.It"s definatley leaking from the lower right exhaust manifold bolt
that goes into the rear cylinder.Relieved as it should be an easy fix.However I seem to be getting the "seeping
through the porous head material " symptom that others have had a problem with apparently due to KTM"s effort
to build a lighter motor.Little droplets of oil will accumulate on the little extrusions or "tits" of the rear cylinder.
Anyone know if KTM has a"fix" for the porous material?I called the dealer and they are being very help and basically
said they"ll do whatever it takes to fix it.Again relieved it"s not the head gasket but concerned they"re may not be a
fix for the seeping through the pores problem.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue May 12, 2015 9:03 pm

tombba wrote:after further investigation it doesn't look like it"s visibly leaking from the head gasket although the gasket has
a "normal"amount of oil moisture to the touch.It"s definatley leaking from the lower right exhaust manifold bolt
that goes into the rear cylinder.Relieved as it should be an easy fix.However I seem to be getting the "seeping
through the porous head material " symptom that others have had a problem with apparently due to KTM"s effort
to build a lighter motor.Little droplets of oil will accumulate on the little extrusions or "tits" of the rear cylinder.
Anyone know if KTM has a"fix" for the porous material?I called the dealer and they are being very help and basically
said they"ll do whatever it takes to fix it.Again relieved it"s not the head gasket but concerned they"re may not be a
fix for the seeping through the pores problem.

A dealer here had a adv1190 that leaked on a engine case, not the side covers. KTM didn't want to replace the engine but insisted taking it apart and rebuild completely to solve the issue.
To be honest if it was my bike with less than 1000 km on it I would insist in a new engine, I wouldn't want it rebuild on a new bike no matter how good the mechanic is.

Don't know what the outcome eventually was but I guess it probably got rebuild as most people are too soft and cave in after a while.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

tombba
Minimoto racer

Postby tombba » Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Hope I don"t need a rebuild with such a small leak but I guess anything is possible.Dealer is being great so far
with a "we"ll do whatever it takes" attitude.Even picking up my bike for me tomorrow.Don"t think it has a porous pinhole leak
issue since the dealer(and all the info. I"ve found on the net)states that problem has only been found on the flywheel
and clutch side casings.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed May 13, 2015 1:28 am

tombba wrote:Hope I don"t need a rebuild with such a small leak but I guess anything is possible.Dealer is being great so far
with a "we"ll do whatever it takes" attitude.Even picking up my bike for me tomorrow.Don"t think it has a porous pinhole leak
issue since the dealer(and all the info. I"ve found on the net)states that problem has only been found on the flywheel
and clutch side casings.

First port of call should be to determine exactly where the leak is. After that take the next step.
Some peeps on the forum successfully traced an oil leak by cleaning the area properly and then applying some talcum powder to find the origin.
While I was waiting for the replacement cover to turn up I gently tapped the pinhole shut by using a sharp tungsten (or nail or centre punch) and tap next to it till it closes.
I then cleaned it properly with acetone (wear gloves, it goes in to your skin and fooks your internal organs) and then applied JB weld. (or similar)
It never leaked again.

I know you want a permanent solution but maybe to keep you riding without a mess till they pull the proverbial finger out....

tombba
Minimoto racer

Postby tombba » Sat May 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Heard back from the dealer and all it was was a leaky valve cover gasket on top of the motor that was running down the
backside of the rear cylinder.Funny how leaks can move around tricking you to think the source of the leak is coming from
the wrong spot.Easy fix and very happy!

Return to Stores, Dealers, Warranty, Insurance and Safety Issues