What have you done to your Superduke today

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Re: What have you done to your Superduke today

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 am

terryo wrote:I hate winter in eastern Ohio!
I picked up this garage queen late last year. Only 5900 miles on the clock. Still had the original tyres on it!!! All stock as it came from the dealer in 2008(including the Akra's) save for Corbin seat and frame sliders added by last owner. Was babied by PO's. I was only able to put 500-ish miles on it before weather went to shite.
So... I'm bored. Updates so far: tyres, MH airbox and SAS delete, rear fender trim, new battery, Powerparts seat, mirrors on the way....

I'm tired of looking at it! I NEED to ride the damn thing! Hurry up Spring!!!!

Wow thats a nice looking clean bike :)
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

MrK
Two wheeled terror

Postby MrK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 pm

LEGENDofTROY wrote:
I want to say I got them from KTMTwins years ago but it doesn't seem they carry them now so who knows.
They're made by Supermoto Engineering;

http://www.powersportparts.net/Supermot ... 050624.htm

Hope that helps, sorry for the late-ish reply

EDIT: just noticed that link is for a set for a 625 SMC. Don't know if they are the same or not.

Many thanks for reply. I'll drop them an email.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Nothing too exciting, but after being away working in France for 8 weeks I finally got into my garage and had a look at my two 990s - the road bike runs a conventional lead acid battery that I was under the impression was nearing the need for replacement, so I stuck the battery tender on it. Within a minute the light on the tender had gone from yellow to green. Hmmm, I thought, we'll see about that, so I put the key in, hit the button and she fired up instantly - bit of a result :D Next was the track bike (Shadowman's old one) - this one has a li-ion battery and I was expecting it to need a few goes and for the battery to gain in power with each one in the confusing way that they do, but once again, she fired up first time. 2 from 2, not bad so far, and after both the 990s had run for a while to get the temperature gauge up to about ⅔ of the scale, I turned them off and tried my WR250 green lane bike. After 2 seconds on the button that one fired up and ran happily too - possibly the most surprising as these babies really hate old fuel, and that can make all the difference between a fine day's riding and one where the bike is reluctant to start and repeatedly stalls. Anyway, feeling quite pleased with my Gentleman's set (3 from 3), I switched off the lights and closed the garage up.
After being away working, my great job went tits-up and I'm now looking for another, ho-hum.... something to look forward to was an advert I spotted on the back page of a local free magazine in the pub today - next weekend is the grand opening of a new Kawasaki dealer just outside my home town of Newbury (first I'd heard of it), and in addition to two top Kawasaki-mounted British Superbike riders (Leon Haslam and Luke Mossey) being present, Freddie Spencer will also be there, though quite what Fast Freddie's connection to Kawasaki is I'm not sure (but I'm sure the cheque will be quite adequate for his troubles).
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Hello,

I just finished the 10k miles service. And its sooo satisfying. :)

I ordered the CJ Designs water pump rebuild kit and muffler graphite gasket. I had from the PO a set of the graphite gaskets for the header. I bought the rubber o-ring for the fuel line connection (Did you know that its supposed to be replaced at the 10k service?). Petroleum jelly (for oil or fuel connections), water based jelly (For coolant connections), set of sparkplugs, had to get a different sparkplug socket since for the SDR it's 14mm and for the SD was 16mm.

So I took my time, a few days draining oil and coolant since my wife was away for a few weeks, I had the garage to myself. I did not think my water pump seal was in bad condition, but I drained the coolant into a white bucket through a cotton towel to catch any sediment and see what ended up at the bottom of the bucket, and lo and behold there was some black oily substance at the bottom of the bucket when I emptied it.

Funny when I went to remove the bearings I put the case in the oven as recommended by the guys at the Orange Garage and the outermost bearing fell off by itself, (Found it at the bottom of the oven) and the other one was a piece of cake to remove. I had the new bearings in the freezer as they suggested so the new ones went in basically by themselves.

The valves did not need adjustment, the intake fronts were .12mm, exhaust front .30, and the intake rears were .15mm and exhaust .30 so I buttoned her up and moved on. I had to come back to the forum a few times and searched for some of the tricks to for example, remove the rear sparkplug (What a tricky procedure)

I used the invaluable information found in the Orange Garage site and removed and cleaned the clutch jet (Had to utilize one of my wife's pantyhose and shop vacuum to suck it up and catch it 8) ).

Lifted the front wheel 2' and refilled with EngineIce coolant. Used a mix of Castrol Power RS and mostly Motorex 10w-50 (I had 1/2 quart of Castrol left so I used that up).

So I had been quoted over $1,000.00 for the labour part of this service and did not have to pay one dime.

I also received a set of Brigestone RS10's I need to install for the upcoming track day. I have Q3's right now and I'm gonna keep'em to re-install once the soft RS10's are done. I thought I would support some of the local bike shops so I called for a set of tyres. One quoted me $435 for a set of Q3 installed, two other quoted $375. I ended up getting the Bridgestone online for $229 and I'm expecting a $50 mail in rebate.

I just took her for a very short ride to basically re-fill the gas tank and I'll top up the coolant if its needed. No leaks, no left over fasteners, no extra bits and pieces left on the workbench. Feeling good! :D
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Not so much what Ive done today. But what ive done through the winter months.

Added
- Andreani Cartridge kit
- Rotty Air box
- PC5
- QS
- Moto Hooligan rearset adjuster plates
- MFW Racing pegs black
- PP ergo seat
- PP seat cowl
- PP triple clamps
- Arrow CAT delete
- Akra pipe(DB killer installed)
- SAS kit.
- Coated fork stanction tubes. (Industial Hard Coatings Denver, NC )
- Brembo RCS Brake & clutch MC. (taken from my Multi)
- Rizoma Bar end flashers & CRG bar end mirrors(Taken from a R1 I parted out)
- Rizoma Mirrors (taken from my Multi)
- Rizoma rear signal lights(Taken from my Multi. Those will get put back on the Multi shortly)
- Evotech tidy tail.
- PP tank protection

To be added.
- Austin Racing High slung pipe(ordered last month, hope it arrives next week)
- Scotts steering mount ( I have the damper off my old R1. Just waiting for Rotty to revise their model)
- Rear shock ??? Time will tell.
PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
way too many to mention

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:08 pm

What, no studded tyres? When does riding season start in Edmonton :lol:
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:I used the invaluable information found in the Orange Garage site and removed and cleaned the clutch jet (Had to utilize one of my wife's pantyhose and shop vacuum to suck it up and catch it 8) ).:D

Pantyhose? I put a (preferably unwashed) stocking over my head and suck it out.........

My 'new' SDR is heading for the water pump rebuild - definitely has casting sand in the coolant and occassional rattling rear cam chain at cold start - in two minds re CJ and OE though, aren't the OE parts now 'upgraded' similar to the CJ kit (been a long time since I did this on my 'old' SDR)?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 am

No. 47 wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:I used the invaluable information found in the Orange Garage site and removed and cleaned the clutch jet (Had to utilize one of my wife's pantyhose and shop vacuum to suck it up and catch it 8) ).:D

Pantyhose? I put a (preferably unwashed) stocking over my head and suck it out.........

You naughty naughty boy .....

No. 47 wrote:My 'new' SDR is heading for the water pump rebuild - definitely has casting sand in the coolant and occassional rattling rear cam chain at cold start - in two minds re CJ and OE though, aren't the OE parts now 'upgraded' similar to the CJ kit (been a long time since I did this on my 'old' SDR)?

Not sure about updated OE parts. I went for the piece of mind and warranty of CJ Designs. I think it is $50 or $60 more expensive, but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get it done for the long haul.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Xterminater

Postby Xterminater » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:56 am

This weekend I installed a Rapid Bike Evo system on my 1290 R, along with a New Motohooligan airbox. I also removed the SAS, and canister systems. Right away the increase in power was very noticeable, the throttle response was much smoother, and love that intake sound!
2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2009 Aprilia Tuono R - Factory

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Not sure about updated OE parts. I went for the piece of mind and warranty of CJ Designs. I think it is $50 or $60 more expensive, but I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get it done for the long haul.

Just ordered CJ's kit.
'01 Ducati 996S

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm

I went with OE parts.
Something has changed with the seal as it is no longer available as an individual part, but is a kit with the shaft now.
I do bugger all miles a year so if this only lasts another 12,000 miles I'll be happy.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Afaik, KTM have always recommended replacing both shaft and seal - http://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/Views/Shared/Page.aspx
'01 Ducati 996S

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 am

Just checked the parts order screen again and I got it the wrong way around, you can buy the seal on it's own but you can only buy the shaft as a kit with a new seal.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5799306/road-990cc/water-pump

One thing I noticed is that the new seal was the same colour as the old seal, but that's doesn't mean it's the same compound.

cdv478
Two wheeled terror

Postby cdv478 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:45 pm

I did the water pump shaft (CJ Designs) and seal late last week and went on a 135 mile ride yesterday. No problems and in combination with the lower temp fan switch, Engine Ice and silicone hoses, I think it averages one or two bars less in most conditions. The old shaft was original, and it looked much better than I expected for having 13,000 miles. The impeller had rubbed against the housing at some point; not sure if that is normal or not. Bearings were quiet and smooth but I replaced them since I had the pump apart. The toughest part for me was installing the shaft seal; I screwed a couple up by nicking them, and luckily the dealer had another in stock so it was only a day's delay.

Also installed MotoHooligan pegs. They are much grippier than stock and nicely made.
2008 Super Duke R
1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV
1976 Honda GL1000 (given to my father)
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800 (sold)

Pr3johnson
Minimoto racer

Postby Pr3johnson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:10 am

Well not just today, more like a months worth of work/waiting for parts but...

Installed full akrapocic exhaust and headers, Rottweiler intake, sas block off plates, water pump rebuild, coolant change, oil change, akrapovic tune via tune ecu, bar end mirrors, new levers, and a r&g tail tidy. After 4 years of habing her i finally spoiled the beast. It's like a whole new bike now and i couldn't have done half the stuff without help from this forum.

Thanks guys!
07 superduke 990

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:04 am

Pr3johnson wrote:Well not just today, more like a months worth of work/waiting for parts but...

Installed full akrapocic exhaust and headers, Rottweiler intake, sas block off plates, water pump rebuild, coolant change, oil change, akrapovic tune via tune ecu, bar end mirrors, new levers, and a r&g tail tidy. After 4 years of habing her i finally spoiled the beast. It's like a whole new bike now and i couldn't have done half the stuff without help from this forum.

Thanks guys!
07 superduke 990

Oh man, I don't know how you kept it stock for so long.

An after market intake was the best mod I ever made. The induction roar is just amazing, I actually put my baffles back in since I liked it more than the exhaust note of my Mivv's.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Pr3johnson
Minimoto racer

Postby Pr3johnson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 am

Aphex wrote:
Pr3johnson wrote:Well not just today, more like a months worth of work/waiting for parts but...

Thanks guys!
07 superduke 990

Oh man, I don't know how you kept it stock for so long.

An after market intake was the best mod I ever made. The induction roar is just amazing, I actually put my baffles back in since I liked it more than the exhaust note of my Mivv's.

Being poor helped. Haha but really i dont know how either. And yes, i love that sound!

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Replaced the mid-pipe exhaust gasket today (although it didn't seem in bad shape but I was getting the customary 4500 rpm back fire).

As I was untwisting the O2 sensor wires it struck me that I've got them turned off in Tune ECU. Can I not just replace them with plugs?

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 am

I think as long as you link a plug by the battery with a resistor you can just blank them off and remove the sensor - is that right guys?

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 am

coyo wrote:Replaced the mid-pipe exhaust gasket today (although it didn't seem in bad shape but I was getting the customary 4500 rpm back fire).

As I was untwisting the O2 sensor wires it struck me that I've got them turned off in Tune ECU. Can I not just replace them with plugs?

Yes
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Willh wrote:
coyo wrote:Replaced the mid-pipe exhaust gasket today (although it didn't seem in bad shape but I was getting the customary 4500 rpm back fire).

Yes

Thanks!

Would you happen to know the size required?

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:06 pm

M18x1,5 for the holes in the exhaust.
Plenty of suppliers on eBay.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 am

washed it and went for a nice long ride to "blow dry" the bike.

Bike doesn't need much, just tyres and an oil change. Soon on both counts. Then a tank bag, rear bags, rear sets and spoon on some new shoes and she'll be good for another few thousand miles.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 am

SpeedyR wrote:washed it and went for a nice long ride to "blow dry" the bike.

Bike doesn't need much, just tyres and an oil change. Soon on both counts. Then a tank bag, rear bags, rear sets and spoon on some new shoes and she'll be good for another few thousand miles.

I am jealous of the better service intervals on the 1290 I'll tell ya that.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Yep, Its pretty good compared to the SD990.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism