Techmount Radar Detector Mount

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Garyculb
Minimoto racer

Postby Garyculb » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 am

Installed the Techmount Radar Detector Mount on my 2017 KTM SDGT on the Right Control Panel area ( http://www.techmounts.com/products/inde ... uct_id=289 ). Added a few extension pieces to get the weight correct. Power supplied by a HardTap Radar Detector wire kit ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062 ... UTF8&psc=1 ) connected to a PDM 60 ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/row ... ckQAvD_BwE ). Power could easly be drawn from the OEM accessory cock or there are power lines below the instrument panel. Best,

Doc :D :D

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Re: Techmount Radar Detector Mount

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 am

I brought the KTM mount that sits centre behind the screen, and fitted my tech mount base to that, then some velcro and the detector to that, it gets protection behind the screen from showers and bugs.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Garyculb
Minimoto racer

Postby Garyculb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 pm

DaveNZ,

Yah, thats were I ended up putting my iPhone with a KTM iBracket from TourTech. Originally, I had my GPS (Nav VI with BMW Mount) in the middle above the instrument panel but, the motion/ vibration was so bad ended up moving it to the handlebars. Best,

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Sorry but that looks ridiculous.
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Black Out wrote:Sorry but that looks ridiculous.

You have to take into account that the bike is a GT and the T stands for tour. It is no surprise that today's tourers reach as deep into technology as many other aspects of life. If information gleaned necessary for a successful road trip is in your grasp and state of importance, why not reach for the sky? As does that radar mount. Not quite my direction for tarmac travails but who am I? Carry on.
I'm BLUE

Garyculb
Minimoto racer

Postby Garyculb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Black Out wrote:Sorry but that looks ridiculous.

Good to know. Very few KTM Forums offer SDGT sections. New to this Forum & looking for others with similar interest of Sports Touring. Best,

Doc :shock: :shock:

Garyculb
Minimoto racer

Postby Garyculb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 am

DaveNZ wrote:I brought the KTM mount that sits centre behind the screen, and fitted my tech mount base to that, then some velcro and the detector to that, it gets protection behind the screen from showers and bugs.

DaveNZ,

Lets see some photo's of your modification. Where are you drawing the power for the radar detector?? Any issues with motion/ instability??

Best,

Garyculb
Minimoto racer

Postby Garyculb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Took the criticism/ insult to heart & decided to make some changes to my TechMount Control Radar detector & Nav VI GPS Mounts that the dealer had installed. Lower position is a bit better in the twisty’s & easily visible.

Best,

Doc :) :)

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:43 pm

Hey Gary, i don't know how to post photos on here, but i see your also on the SuperTwins site, and i can post photos on there, my radar detector plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. i much prefer your second choice for your radar bracket, thats similar to how i had mine mounted, befor i got the ktm bracket, and mounted it central. I don't have any other stuff on my bars, only the dector, i carry a road map on trips, (NZ small country) and i don't like phone calls, or music when I'm riding. 8) PS Gary, don't show them the photos of your highway pegs, theres no Harley riders here :mrgreen:
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Wow :shock: that is a lot of farkles!

How are you like the GT? What bike did you have before this?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Aphex wrote:Wow :shock: that is a lot of farkles!

How are you like the GT? What bike did you have before this?

How are you like the GT? He carries many electronics and moves on two feet?
What bike did you have before this? A BMW R1200gs?
I'm BLUE

Garyculb
Minimoto racer

Sports Touring ride

Postby Garyculb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 am

My other ride is a 2016 BMW K1600 GTLE with >30K miles ( http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/members ... one-2.html ). We do about 4 to 5 Appalachian Mountain Rides a year ( http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/southea ... edule.html ). Our largest gathering is the BMW’s Tame the Tail of the Dragon ( https://www.facebook.com/K1600DG/ ).

K1600 is a rock. Wanted a second lighter Sports Touring ride. Live in SC- USA & rarely trailer/ haul my bike. Several riding buddies recommended the KTM SDGT. Very strong/ powerful ride that glides through the Twisty’s.

Only time I have been on a track was for class/ schooling. Best,

Doc :? :?

Return to How to do it!