thanks for the memories

Non-SD related ... booze, birds and general "boys showing off" type stuff
abc
Stunt rider

thanks for the memories

Postby abc » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:34 am

It is with much sadness that I have to report that I have sold my 1290 due to ill health. About 12 years ago I was struck down with a very ordinary disease and at the time was told I would never ride again after a lifetime of motorbikes. I was lucky enough to keep riding for more than 10 years after my diagnosis and I knew the time would come for me to hang up my helmets. Its a very sad day to realise that time has come.
I wanted to say thanks to all those members that have helped me over the last few years, there is a very good knowledge base present on this forum and it has been a pleasure to build stuff and show others how it has been done. I hope you all enjoyed reading my posts and any instruction I bothered to share.
I will say the 1290 was to best bike I have ever owned and I enjoyed it very much after it was modified. I sold a very well sorted bike and was flooded with calls about it once the add went live. 1 week later it was sold complete with all the mods I built for it. In the end I accepted a good offer and ended up rejecting other that wanted to pay above the asking price. I was surprised by the interest and sad to see it go so quickly. I will drop in to this forum from time to time because I am still interested in the big ktms.
Thank you all and thanks for the memories.
Cheers
abc.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Sarasota_Steve

Re: thanks for the memories

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:46 am

abc wrote:It is with much sadness that I have to report that I have sold my 1290 due to ill health. About 12 years ago I was struck down with a very ordinary disease and at the time was told I would never ride again after a lifetime of motorbikes. I was lucky enough to keep riding for more than 10 years after my diagnosis and I knew the time would come for me to hang up my helmets. Its a very sad day to realise that time has come.
I wanted to say thanks to all those members that have helped me over the last few years, there is a very good knowledge base present on this forum and it has been a pleasure to build stuff and show others how it has been done. I hope you all enjoyed reading my posts and any instruction I bothered to share.
I will say the 1290 was to best bike I have ever owned and I enjoyed it very much after it was modified. I sold a very well sorted bike and was flooded with calls about it once the add went live. 1 week later it was sold complete with all the mods I built for it. In the end I accepted a good offer and ended up rejecting other that wanted to pay above the asking price. I was surprised by the interest and sad to see it go so quickly. I will drop in to this forum from time to time because I am still interested in the big ktms.
Thank you all and thanks for the memories.
Cheers
abc.

Man it’s sad to hear you sold your bike. It was great learning from you and your unbelievable carbon fiber projects.
Hope life is kind to you in whatever you are able to occupy your time with.
Kind regards,
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

jmann

Postby jmann » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:32 am

Comrade ABC: I'd also like to say how sad I am to see you having to sell the bike and hang up the boots. I have really enjoyed your posts and technical expertise. Perhaps my best accolade is to say that you are "Old Skool - the type of hooligan that can ride as well as do stuff". I've really appreciated the way you have shared your expertise and know how and allowed other members of this forum to benefit from your efforts. I sincerely hope that your heath holds up as long as possible and we see your comments well into the future. See you around the traps perhaps...

WHO?
Minimoto racer

Postby WHO? » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:50 am

thanks heaps for sharing all those wonderful how to bits, the advice & knowledge mate, very much appreciated, sorry to hear about the health challenge but can understand it completely from sit downs with my own so called "health team"

safe travels & here's hoping you come back another day spewing that you're in great health & wish you hadn't sold the bike...
any day above ground's a good day so keep smiling!!

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:29 am

Always sad to hear when someone is forced to give up on his passion due to ill health!
Good luck with future endeavours and I hope life treats you as well as possible!
Thanks for all your input here!

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:06 am

As an very early adopter and modifier of the 1290 you were a great contributor to the forum and are the sort of guy that make this forum a great place.
Sorry to see you have to give up a passion but I am glad that you will still loiter around as I am sure at some point you can still offer sage advice.
Take care.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Best of luck to you.
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Sorry to hear you have to give up something you love. I hope whatever you end up occupying your time with is as fulfilling as modifying the 1290 seemed to you.

Cheers!
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks guys, great forum this even though its been a bit quiet lately, still the best place for info and no bullshit advertising jammed in your face every time you open a page.
one of the biggest disappointments for me is the amount of time I have spent working towards supercharging my bike, now my time will be occupied by stuff that bores me and offers no engineering challenges, that sucks!
Sometime you have to accept the difficult things in life and roll with the punches.
All the best to all.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:11 am

All the best for a happy future. New challenges await...
Recovering superbike addict

tango2
Two wheeled terror

Postby tango2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:08 pm

So sorry to hear you’ve had to pack in riding. All the best for the future.
Last edited by tango2 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Well at least it was good while it lasted and you finished on top with the 1290 8)

Live goes on, all the best for the new hobbies and glad to read you'll keep coming here.
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Respect mate. Sad to hear your news.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Hoping you find equal (and, yes, different) enjoyment in other things as you feel physically capable.

When life throws you a road block, your creativity will find alternative routes!
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

fatbob
Stunt rider

Postby fatbob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 am

Good luck with what comes next ....

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Very sad news indeed and hope you can eventually move on. I'm sure you can probably manage a beer or two on the sofa watching some decent bike racing to fill that void :)

Return to General banter