Eulogy to Tony

A tribute to members who are no longer with us, but will never leave our hearts and minds.
Skavitch
Two wheeled terror

Eulogy to Tony

Postby Skavitch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:45 pm

A Celebration of the life of Anthony John Steele 1962 ~2008

11th June 2008

Celebrant: Brigid Harbour

A Humanist Celebration of the Life of
Anthony John Steele
30th July 1962 – 31st May 2008

Opening Music

Opening Words

We meet together today to say goodbye to, but more importantly to celebrate the life of a much-loved man – Tony Steele.

Tony, as most of you know, was not religious, and so his family have decided to have a Humanist funeral.

They have asked me to lead our time here today on their behalf. My name is Brigid and I am a member of the Humanist Ceremonies Network.

I didn’t know Tony but I have had the privilege of being introduced to him through talking with Zoe, his family and his friends. This tribute is a collection of just a few of the thoughts and memories they shared with me.

There may be some amongst you for whom a religious belief is important. So, whilst I won’t be saying any prayers, there will be a time, later in the ceremony, for quiet reflection or, if you wish, to say a silent prayer.
The music we will hear today has been chosen for its special meaning to Tony’s life.
Today is a difficult day for all of you who knew and loved Tony. When someone dies, so young and so suddenly the feelings of sadness, unfairness, anger or sheer disbelief can be overwhelming.
When our bodies give us pain we take a pill to make it go away but there are no pills for grief.

Well meaning people try to help with phrases such as ‘time heals’ or ‘you will get over it eventually.’
But of course you don’t ‘get over’ grief. And you can’t go round it or through it either.
It’s too big and it’s too heavy. The only thing you can do is to sit down with it and wait. In time, with luck and the support and patience of those who love you, a strange thing happens.
Somehow you grow around the grief. Eventually you grow big enough and strong enough to carry it around with you.
It doesn’t get smaller. You get bigger, until the loss becomes part of you.
It never goes away completely, but then you wouldn’t want it to. The only time there are no tears is when there has been no love. It is the price we pay for our greatest joy - love and friendship.
No wise words can make it better. What we can do is celebrate a man who packed so much into his life and who is remembered with so much love and with laughter.

Tribute
Tony was born at home on the 30th July 1962 to Shirley and John Steele. He was the baby of the family, following his eldest brother Michael and his sister Jacqueline. He grew up in Sunroyd Hill Wakefield and his mother remembers he was a lovely, cute, active kid, a bit of a nuisance, and just like you would want your kids to be. He enjoyed rugby and football, but from an early age, his real love was anything that went Brrruuuuuumm. When he was about 10 he got interested in Go Carting so his dad took him to the track and was always there to support and cheer him on.

As a teenager he had a trail bike and legging it down the road one evening as a teenager he was stopped by the police. The bike had to be mothballed until he was old enough to have a licence – so he put it in his bedroom. When the council decided to insulate all the houses on the estate Tony’s mum became known as the lady with a motorbike in the bedroom!
His passion for all things mechanical showed up in his school reports where he did OK in other subjects but gained a distinction in Motor Craft Studies.
At 17 he joined the army in the REME but his career was cut short when he broke his ankle. His reference from his commanding officer described Tony as “determined, trustworthy, reliable, hard working and honestâ€

baggieman
Trackday hero

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Postby baggieman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks for that Skavitch, only wished I'd met the man :(

And after all the stick he gave me regarding my age, the bugger was actually older than me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Past - Puch Maxi, FS1E, 250N Superdream, RD250E, RD250F, RD400, RD350YPVS, RD350N, DT175, XJ650, Z1100R, R1100S, 1150GS, 06SD, K1300R 09SD
Present - 1290R

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:24 pm

We all know that one small........ is delusional and ambiguous along with a whole host of other maladies.

I wanted to have a ride out with Tony and Rick in the Great Smokie Mountains. Thoughts of grandeur with grand folks, this is my dream,

I will continue to hold true to my desires. I usually spoke to him daily, PM. I may not have known him in the flesh, but in the spirit, the intellect......

I knew him well. I am sure he would agree with me if we could ask him, here and now.

Tony was always a positive role model for me when I desperately seek wisdom and real knowledge.

He gave it to me straight, this is one of many of my thoughts of him. He was/is a very sweet man.

We will all miss him, some more than others. I feel him here, I think Dr.F lives in the forum and will continue to do so.

I am still honored and humbled to be any small part of this place, I have always felt this way and I still do, to this very moment.

Peace,
joe

collyer
Stunt rider

Postby collyer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm

baggieman wrote:Thanks for that Skavitch, only wished I'd met the man :(

+ infinity
I asked my dad if I could grow up & ride motorcycles like he did. "Son", he said, "you can't do both."

bret151
Minimoto racer

Postby bret151 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:15 am

sorry to see him go . i'm new to this site i think i have a month here if that.we always wonder how we ourselves will go . i myself want to go with my boots on . if i can pass doing what love in my opinion that is the way to go not in some hospital with tubes and such on me that acually scares me beyond words.i only hope i can go on a bike with a smile . one thing he is up there riding the best factory ride you can get and with no fillup stops to how cool is that.i to wish i could have met him .
2006 honda rincon 4x4
2008 SuperDuke
2003 harley roadking
2000 f250 7.3

Gregz

Postby Gregz » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:36 am

I will miss you bud!
We will all miss you!

:cry:
KTM 690SM - modified of course

YAMRED
Two wheeled terror

Postby YAMRED » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Gutted totally Gutted crying me eyes out... Peace man!!
05 KTM SUPERDUKE
05 GSXR 1000
05 R1
03 GSXR 1000
2000 R1
1993 FIREBLADE
YAMAHA FZR400
SUZUKI RGV250
KAWASAKI 250 KR1S
SUZUKI RGV 125
YAMAHA FS1E

Ironlung
Two wheeled terror

Postby Ironlung » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 am

Goodbye

superDUKE220
Two wheeled terror

Postby superDUKE220 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:31 am

Well said - truly a great person that will not only be missed on this forum.

RIP Tony.
-------------------
'08 KTM SMC - black
'07 KTM SD - black
'01 Honda RC51 (track)
'08 Yamaha Rhino

TakisSD
Two wheeled terror

Postby TakisSD » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Unfair, unbelievable...

RIP Dr F, we will all eventually meet.

I hope your loved ones know hoe much you were appreciated by us.

Return to Gone but never forgotten