What have you done to your Superduke today

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Aphex
Site Admin

Re: What have you done to your Superduke today

Postby Aphex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 am

Spanke_y wrote:Installed GB Frame protectors (upper) today just waiting on the lowers.I also put on ABV levers to replace the tired OEM's - nice adjustments as I can tweak as I ride. I've been taking it out regularly to try and get more settled on the bike, I love riding in the cooler weather. I'm still shocked at the engine braking when off the throttle though, and it's snatchy. I'm working through removing/adjusting stuff the previous owner did (Reset suspension back to factory as it was all over the place).

Every time I think of changing the R for a less aggressive machine, I look at it and decide I must persevere. I guess years on triples and inline 4's spoiled me!

I may test ride a 1290 to see if it's smoother... ;)

You can use Tune ECU to set the secondary flies to 100% open at all throttle percentages to see if you like it. If you do removing the flies or the flies and shafts will make a marked improvement in decreasing engine braking. Mid corner throttle was since a pain in the ass before I did that but now it's much more tame.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Spanke_y
Minimoto racer

Postby Spanke_y » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 am

I've been reading the threads on upgrades and done extensive research. Not sure if I'm ready to start dismantling stuff I have little knowledge of. I'm good mechanically but not when it comes to electrics.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 am

Removed the exhaust headers and had them Ceramic coated in black :)
Looks much better than before

BEFORE

AFTER
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 am

Not today but over the last few weeks:
Valve clearance check and adjustment:
Fitted an Oberon clutch slave:
Cleaned and repainted the radiator:

Also purchased an abba skylift to make life a little bit easier:
:lol:

Next up is replacing the brake and clutch reservoirs for brembo smoked items, replacing the brake fluid, install radiator, fill up and bleed coolant (the skylift will come in really handy there) oil and filter change, sync throttle bodies and I should be good to go for another season 8)

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 pm

DukeNukem999 - Wow! I love those headers, please post some follow up pics after you've put some miles on them. I'd be very interested to see how that finish wears with the heat and road grime.

Nampus - I love how you covered the intake for the valve check what did you use? Almost looks like rubber balloons stretched over the openings. That sky lift sure will make bleeding the cooling system easy and that raw finish on the Oberon is pretty trick I had no idea they offered that, I ended up going with the orange.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:29 pm

The intake covers are items I borrowed from work :lol:
They're just yellow rubbery blank caps. Saw them laying around before I had to do the valve clearance and thought, those just might fit the intakes, and they did 8)

I ordered a black Oberon slave, but the supplier immediately mailed they had a silver or orange one in stock which could be sent out immediately. A black one would take two weeks, so I went with the silver anodising. I don't really mind the silver. I was just happy it could be delivered the next day.

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Had a little more garage time tonight :D

Filled and bled the clutch, I always use LHM, mineral hydraulic oil:
As you can see I swapped the reservoir for a brembo smoked one.
(Since the brembo reservoir and membrane were meant to used with dot4 I just used the original magura membrane in the clutch reservoir. It's a tight fit, but it should be fine.
Same one for the front brake:
View from the saddle:

And I couldn't leave the rear brake alone:

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Aphex wrote:DukeNukem999 - Wow! I love those headers, please post some follow up pics after you've put some miles on them. I'd be very interested to see how that finish wears with the heat and road grime.

x 2 - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27693&p=335503&hilit=Ceramic+coating#p335493
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:29 am

Aphex wrote:DukeNukem999 - Wow! I love those headers, please post some follow up pics after you've put some miles on them. I'd be very interested to see how that finish wears with the heat and road grime.

Nampus - I love how you covered the intake for the valve check what did you use? Almost looks like rubber balloons stretched over the openings. That sky lift sure will make bleeding the cooling system easy and that raw finish on the Oberon is pretty trick I had no idea they offered that, I ended up going with the orange.

Yeah will do. I'm curious as well and its the reason I held off for so long...fingers crossed ;)
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:33 am

nampus wrote:Not today but over the last few weeks:
Also purchased an abba skylift to make life a little bit easier:
:lol:
Next up is replacing the brake and clutch reservoirs for brembo smoked items, replacing the brake fluid, install radiator, fill up and bleed coolant (the skylift will come in really handy there) oil and filter change, sync throttle bodies and I should be good to go for another season 8)

Hey Nampus, nice work there !.
Now I have lift envy. Been looking at one of these for a while.

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:04 am

Get one, it is brilliant! I actually look forward to bleeding the coolant :mrgreen:

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am

Ordered a new Yuasa for the spring ahead :lol:
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

I threw the KTM down the road Saturday afternoon toward the end of a fun group ride. Rear end stepped out on me through a 70 mph left hander and set me off line and into the grass. Tried to motocross it but didn't wanna go through the trees so bailed off. Minor damages including broken throttle housing, bent right handle bar and pretzeled rear brake lever. All easily repairable. Took a pretty good whack to my body but only thing that actually hurts is my left knee. Two days later even that feels waaay better. Glad to see the KTM crashes so well.
Eerily enough I landed right next to a road side memorial for some poor soul who died there...and directly across the street from a graveyard. Oh well, this is a dangerous sport.
That was my first get off in six years and I'm sure won't be the last. :oops:
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Black Out wrote:I threw the KTM down the road Saturday afternoon toward the end of a fun group ride. Rear end stepped out on me through a 70 mph left hander and set me off line and into the grass. Tried to motocross it but didn't wanna go through the trees so bailed off. Minor damages including broken throttle housing, bent right handle bar and pretzeled rear brake lever. All easily repairable. Took a pretty good whack to my body but only thing that actually hurts is my left knee. Two days later even that feels waaay better. Glad to see the KTM crashes so well.
Eerily enough I landed right next to a road side memorial for some poor soul who died there...and directly across the street from a graveyard. Oh well, this is a dangerous sport.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse and you're well enough to share the story.

There was another 1290 crash over the weekend posted in the FB group. He didn't get off so lucky it looks like his tank exploded into several pieces!

Me so Hoony.

Bazzaz
Minimoto racer

Postby Bazzaz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Put my SDR together finally today :)

Finishing touches;
- Balanced TB's
- Finetuned TPS
- Installed the ITG filter
- Installed the in-line fuel filter

Finally she's done for the summer days coming 8)

Bazzaz
Minimoto racer

Postby Bazzaz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Black Out wrote:I threw the KTM down the road Saturday afternoon toward the end of a fun group ride. Rear end stepped out on me through a 70 mph left hander and set me off line and into the grass. Tried to motocross it but didn't wanna go through the trees so bailed off. Minor damages including broken throttle housing, bent right handle bar and pretzeled rear brake lever. All easily repairable. Took a pretty good whack to my body but only thing that actually hurts is my left knee. Two days later even that feels waaay better. Glad to see the KTM crashes so well.

Ouch, glad to see you posting the story yourself...

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Yep :lol: especially in light of the roadside memorial reminder I landed next to...yeesh
Got the bike all back together and looks as if nothing ever happened to it. Good thing coz I'm going on our annual Spring ride through the mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and W. Virginia in a couple weeks....after I get back from Maui that is. (sorry to brag) :mrgreen:
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Black Out wrote:....after I get back from Maui that is. (sorry to brag) :mrgreen:

I'll make sure to flip you the bird as you fly over head :lol:

Me so Hoony.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:45 pm

That'll be a long flip...flying into SFO. :D

Where are you in SoCal? I'm originally from OC.
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Black Out wrote:That'll be a long flip...flying into SFO. :D

Where are you in SoCal? I'm originally from OC.

OC is nice, I used to live in Tustin. I'm in the high desert now (Hesperia). Love being able to ride my dirt bike out of my front yard and up into Big Bear or Wrightwood.

Plan on eating any Spam Musubi while you're on the island?

Me so Hoony.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Not a spam fan but am going to our favorite restaurant Mama’s Fish House Ate there last night Fuggin awesome
Ducati Monster 800
KTM SuperDuke 990

Scrotumulon
Minimoto racer

Postby Scrotumulon » Sun May 13, 2018 1:30 am

Bled the front brake, installed a GPR steering damper, and went for a brisk ride (8 C this evening).

Love this bike.

Now watching 'Oasis: Supersonic' doc and drinking beer among other vices at present. First class Saturday.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun May 13, 2018 4:41 am

Finally buttoned the bike up.

Had it apart for faaaar too long doing a valve check, PCV and AT install, rear tyre swap, changed the rear pads (still had the OEM pads on at 40k miles).

Glad to have it back together and get some seat time in to see if I like the LSL drag bars (so far I dont)

Me so Hoony.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Ordered a new 13mm master cylinder to replace the 11mm on the back. Been having trouble keeping a hard pedal so stripped it down and found a small amount of swarf on the piston seal. Shouldn't be the culprit but also shouldn't be there. The 13 will be a better match to the two piston slave.
Looking forward to getting back on two wheels in August...
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

oafboy182
Two wheeled terror

Postby oafboy182 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm

I actually got the bike out and rode it for the first time in months. Nothing fun just a ride to work (25 miles or so) but it was good to be back on the bike again. I definitely need to reset the ECU though. Last time I had it out was a quick ride after a battery change and it's almost unrideable around town right now. Hopefully disconnecting the battery and doing the 15 min reset will help. If not I'll try loading a new Tuneecu map on it.
It's better to die on your feet then live on your knees.

08 SDR
07 SD (crashed)
01 CBR600F4I (red and white)

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism